Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-28-2024, 03:11 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Why pay for a Pocketbook when the overwhelming majority of users immediately install Koreader,because by default PBreader lacks basic settings such as font weight, text alignment, I don't know how the last dictionaries are, but French is pretty poor..
I like the PocketBook's built-in reader(s) — ePub 2 and 3. But I don't do anything but read on it, so that's probably why.

As for font weight, I just install the Constantia font and use it for everything. It's just the right weight for me.

I like the text alignment options on the PocketBooks. I just get rid of the header and footer and read at 10 or 11 point font size (depending on my eyes on any particular day).

I don't like the built-in dictionary, but I've found a good Webster's English Dictionary (you used to be able to buy the Oxford English (Compact) Dictionary, but it's no longer available). I can't speak for other languages.

I semi-successfully installed KOReader on a Nook Glowlight, but it looked like a royal pain to set up. The Nook would go into boot loop mode each time I started it, and so I would have to use ADB to stop it (not KOReader's fault) so I uninstalled it. For now I put KOReader on the back burner. I don't really see why I would need it. I've read elsewhere that it doesn't render fonts as nicely as the built-in PocketBook software.

I use my PocketBook exclusively for reading so I can't speak for notebook features pro or con.

At any rate choice is good. I like the PocketBook readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:39 PM   #32
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I like the PocketBook's built-in reader(s) — ePub 2 and 3. But I don't do anything but read on it, so that's probably why.

As for font weight, I just install the Constantia font and use it for everything. It's just the right weight for me.
"Constantina" doesn't look bad, I'll try using it for a while and see, thanks for the advice / tip

Update: 01/04 After some time I went back to my preferred "Charis SIL" which I use the most for now..

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-01-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2024, 01:41 PM   #33
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I semi-successfully installed KOReader on a Nook Glowlight, but it looked like a royal pain to set up... For now I put KOReader on the back burner. I don't really see why I would need it. I've read elsewhere that it doesn't render fonts as nicely as the built-in PocketBook software.
I felt like that initially, but whilst bored one train journey I challenged myself to explore the many features and settings. I tried setting up a book to read after tweaking settings to make my reading experience as comfortable as possible; tuned for my minimalist preference, but progress, time and battery status just a tap away.

Assigning corner press shortcuts has been useful. I use a corner long-press to close KOReader, a short press to switch to night-mode, another to disable touch input, and another to bring up my reading statistics for the book (a feature I never even knew I was missing).

Having the dictionary constantly active is a huge boon for me over the PBReader, it's quite annoying to keep having to enable it in PBReader.

The fonts look as good to me as they do in PBReader. Plus in KOReader you can make many mode adjustments including font weight.

Now I've spent time with KOReader, there's just no going back to the PBReader.

P.s. There's also a great Crossword plugin for KOReader that has (nearly) all the NYT crosswords from 1976-2017.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 04-01-2024 at 01:59 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote