Notices

Old 02-10-2024, 02:08 PM   #16
WiseGuru
More Wiserer
WiseGuru began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era (KOReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
So, I'm certain you don't need <aside> for this to work (just enable the In Page Footnotes style tweak and you're good to go). As to why doesn't work with the other epubs I've tried, I've yet to determine, I'm certain most of those are EPUB3 as well. Maybe it's something really small, but necessary for this to work.
Just a quick follow-up, I've confirmed your experience with "Dune Messiah" (which is scrambled in the Dropbox folder) that KOReader shows the footnote in-page, even though it has a <div> tag instead of an <aside> tag. However, everything I've seen indicates that the <aside> tag is the proper/standard format, so that's what I'm aiming for with the script in the hope that it will be more accessible to other ereader apps.
WiseGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:28 PM   #17
WiseGuru
More Wiserer
WiseGuru began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era (KOReader)
To better track everything, I'm going to update this spreadsheet with relevant information. DM me or leave a comment if you want to add information; otherwise I will update this as I update and iterate on the script.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I may not always update the spreadsheet (because that takes a ton of time), but I will keep a record of the script versions, the converted output and logs, etc., for future reference in the Dropbox link.
WiseGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 09:49 AM   #18
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
I made a test with an EPUB2 file -- converting it to EPUB3 and adding epub:type="footnote" to the footnote <div> was enough for KOReader to render it in page. This might be easier to do than converting them to <aside>?

(I did get epubchecker errors after conversion where image width percentage values where used instead of integers after conversion, but the epub was working just fine; I used ePub3-itizer_v058 for Sigil.)
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 10:14 AM   #19
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

By using <aside> your are also changing the footnote type from regular to pop-up, so there may be more errors.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:59 PM   #20
paperwhite13
Zealot

I looked at the first book (Maurice...), and I see that each footnote is on a separate (.xhtml) page, are all the ebooks like that? I think this complicates things further.

Last edited by paperwhite13; 02-11-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Advert
Old 02-11-2024, 03:16 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
I looked at the first book (Maurice...), and I see that each footnote is on a separate (.xhtml) page, are all the ebooks like that? I think this complicates things further.
Some ebooks do place each footnote on a separate xhtml file while others combine them into a single xhtml file. There are arguments for both methods though I prefer the single file myself.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 04:19 PM   #22
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Some ebooks do place each footnote on a separate xhtml file while others combine them into a single xhtml file. There are arguments for both methods though I prefer the single file myself.
Yes, I only meant that if the books in a batch are like this, it'll be a problem for the script, as it's probably necessary for it to merge them (chapter xhtml + corresponding footnotes xhtmls) on top of everything else for KOReader to render the footnotes in page. And if they're not all the same, then one script won't be enough.

Last edited by paperwhite13; 02-12-2024 at 07:04 AM.