Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 12:38 AM   #16
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Physical bookmarks are better than digital ones, no one needs to search a book and flipping back to the Table of Contents is so much easier than a couple of taps on an ereader screen.
The last physical book I remember reading was "West of Eden" by Harry Harrison. I had to constantly flip to the zoology section in the back of the book until I finally learned all the names of the Yilane creatures. That was indeed much easier done with a physical bookmark than a digital one.

I do search eBooks on occasion. When a minor character reappears after a long absence I sometimes search for the first time they were mentioned to refresh my memory of who they are.

Last edited by haertig; 12-14-2023 at 12:42 AM.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:36 AM   #17
Taubin
Barely a reader
Taubin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Even if it was true, I doubt many would care. Just look at how many people share their progress on the likes of LibraryThing or Goodreads. If you someone is worried about it, there are always alternatives, like editing the ebook yourself, and self hosting if you want to track what you're reading with the likes of Jelu.
Taubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 01:49 AM   #18
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Considering how horrible the 'recommended for you' Kobo provides are, I'm not overly worried.
I've found the "top 3 X% match" " recs that I get in their emails are often appealing (some I've even already bought elsewhere), but that clicking on the recommendations tab on the website brings up dross that is utterly irrelevant
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 08:06 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I tend more to the click-bait theory.

Much like one article I read on how the ereader and ebooks are dead. Compared to holding a "real" book with it's accompanying smells, ebooks just are not desirable. Physical bookmarks are better than digital ones, no one needs to search a book and flipping back to the Table of Contents is so much easier than a couple of taps on an ereader screen.
Sure, go ahead and smell pBooks and don't forget the mold that may be on them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:59 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Even if true, which I highly doubt, I don't care. The world has many things to truly be alarmed by, and this isn't one of them.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 03:30 PM   #21
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
flipping back to the Table of Contents is so much easier than a couple of taps on an ereader screen.
Physical books with pictures work much better, because you can look at the text and a picture at the same time. Some books even had all figures in a separate volume for easier parallel reading. Most e-readers can't even put a picture in a separate window.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:39 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Nah, it's a machiavellian ploy by Big Print to scare people back to dead tree books
The thing is, ebooks benefit all. I know the publishers were scared, seeing what happened to the music industry. But now that the dust is settled and the publishers successfully colluded, everyone should endorse ebooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Much like one article I read on how the ereader and ebooks are dead. Compared to holding a "real" book with it's accompanying smells, ebooks just are not desirable...
One article? It felt like for a while there was an article a day published repeating this clickbait wisdom, published twice on Sundays.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:58 PM   #24
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One article? It felt like for a while there was an article a day published repeating this clickbait wisdom, published twice on Sundays.
One of the more laughable 'reasons paper books are better' 've seen is... you could run out of room on your eReader. As opposed to having unlimited physical space for paper books.

Even better is that the same article mentioned overflowing shelves just a few paragraphs earlier.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-14-2023 at 05:01 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 08:04 AM   #25
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hasn't it been proven conclusively that Kindle log page turns and upload them?

For me, the consideration is more wasting my bandwidth on endless analytics.
I just keep my readers offline.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:57 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The article I mentioned stood out for me since the author was so in love with the smell of books. Not the typography, not the binding, not not having to recharge the battery. The smell alone was enough to make them state that ebooks are not worth reading.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #27
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Hasn't it been proven conclusively that Kindle log page turns and upload them?

For me, the consideration is more wasting my bandwidth on endless analytics.
I just keep my readers offline.
Of course they do. That's how progress sync has to work. I don't know why people act like it's a surprise. Even if it wasn't Amazon, what ever sync service you use has to do the same or similar.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #28
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
Even if it wasn't Amazon, what ever sync service you use has to do the same or similar.
Well, it has to keep track of what page you are on, but it doesn't need to know that you spent 5 minutes on page 173 where the heroine met the ambidextrous aliens.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 01:01 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
Of course they do. That's how progress sync has to work. I don't know why people act like it's a surprise. Even if it wasn't Amazon, what ever sync service you use has to do the same or similar.
From what I've seen on the data sent to Kobo before they started encrypting it, the data sent is the length of time reading and pages flipped within that block. When a book is finished or started, that information is also sent but does not include the book information for sideloaded epubs.

The amount of time reading is important since that is how they pay authors in Kobo Plus much like the page count and time spent reading is important for paying authors in Kindle Unlimited.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 02:20 PM   #30
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
The amount of time reading is important since that is how they pay authors in Kobo Plus much like the page count and time spent reading is important for paying authors in Kindle Unlimited.
"But we have to snoop on you so we can pay our authors!" is not a compelling reason for me to open myself up to their monitoring and analyzing of what I read and how I read it. Because I have a feeling they are not doing this just for the altruistic purposes of paying authors. They are doing it to increase their profits with enhanced advertising and targeted marketing based on data they glean from me. I choose not to supply them with that data.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote