Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2021, 04:46 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
while people keep buying the latest low spec Kindles and Kobos they will keep making them.

best wishes koboy
The worst mainstream Reader available now is the Kindle Basic. It was obsolete before it was released.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
EDIT: And I just remembered the fact that Xiaomi has been accused of being a bit of a backdoor for a particular foreign government... so, there's that big red flag -- hmmm...
Of courses, protectionism and xenophobia played no part in those accusations, raised as they were by a government that has never engaged in unethical or illegal surveillance of its own or other countries' citizens.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2021, 06:00 PM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I want one. Unlike many, I prefer a smaller reader, even 6” is larger than I want. I currently read on my phone, this would save those batteries.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #19
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I want one. Unlike many, I prefer a smaller reader, even 6” is larger than I want. I currently read on my phone, this would save those batteries.
It is a very portable size. If it were open enough, I might even get one to install KOReader on and sync with my Libra, letting me take an e-ink reader with me places I'd rather not take my Libra.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowe View Post
If this will run in English I’ll buy it to replace my Hisense A5. Smaller, lighter and looks to be a better screen.
Although I would prefer the size of this device, I will stick with my Hisense A5. It has a much larger battery and much more RAM. It also has a more recent version of Android and offers expandable memory.

As for the screen, the A5 apparently has 278ppi while the Xiaomi has 284 ppi. Not a huge difference.

For me the benefits of the A5 far outweigh its larger size and heavier weight.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 PM   #21
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Although I would prefer the size of this device, I will stick with my Hisense A5. It has a much larger battery and much more RAM. It also has a more recent version of Android and offers expandable memory.

As for the screen, the A5 apparently has 278ppi while the Xiaomi has 284 ppi. Not a huge difference.

For me the benefits of the A5 far outweigh its larger size and heavier weight.
The A5 doesn't have a lit screen, and especially color-temp adjustment, does it? For me, that's a must-have feature.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:28 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Of courses, protectionism and xenophobia played no part in those accusations, raised as they were by a government that has never engaged in unethical or illegal surveillance of its own or other countries' citizens.
While this is evidence of nothing, I was reading about concerns regarding their networking equipment on technical forums long before the US government made a statement about it.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:59 PM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
While this is evidence of nothing, I was reading about concerns regarding their networking equipment on technical forums long before the US government made a statement about it.
Oh sure, I don't TRUST Xiaomi at all, despite having used their products for several years now. I've never accessed their "Mi Account" or cloud backup features, for example. My point is simply that the brouhaha is very much "pot, meet kettle". EVERYBODY spies, the only choice we have is, who do we let spy on our stuff - Beijing, Fort Meade, Cupertino or Mountain View. Or, most likely, some combination thereof.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:28 AM   #24
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
EDIT: And I just remembered the fact that Xiaomi has been accused of being a bit of a backdoor for a particular foreign government... so, there's that big red flag -- hmmm...
That doesn't bother me as much as access to some of the Western intelligence services.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:10 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Cisco backdoors for USA TLAs.

US government statements about non-American brands are more Politics than facts. Or sometimes they block gear that they can't put their backdoors on.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:12 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The worst mainstream Reader available now is the Kindle Basic. It was obsolete before it was released.
Absolutely. A terrible buy, with or without adverts.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:47 AM   #27
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
The A5 doesn't have a lit screen, and especially color-temp adjustment, does it? For me, that's a must-have feature.
The A5 does indeed have a front lit screen. That is something which I would absolutely want in a modern ereader.

However, the light on the A5 is not colour temperature adjustable. That is not as important for me. Other features like battery size and expandable memory are much more important to me.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...I'd really like a more portable reader, though would prefer a slightly more square aspect ratio...
Yeah, for me it's a bit too phone like. I prefer the 3:4 ratio most other readers use.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the glass screen. It could help with clarity, though watch out if you drop it. (I know, now the word 'substrate' will surface.)

Anyway, it's not for me, but it does look pretty neat.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #29
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I hope this thing sells like crazy. Then maybe Kobo will see that there's a market for a modern Mini.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A 4:3 5” device with even 1024x768 would appeal to me more.

I’m skeptical that a reading app such as Kindle or Kobo would run without issues on this. The color themes are not designed with monochrome displays in mind, and depending on Android version, it might need to be an older version.

The low end Kindle is perfectly fine. Text seems a bit clearer to me than Paperwhite 4, ironically. It’s a bit lighter and smaller, and more comfortable to hold. And it now has 8GB for the same price as before. No Dark Mode, otherwise CPU speed and RAM is the same as the others, it is of the latest and greatest Kindle generation (10th). I suppose the sneering is that it’s only 800x600 (167 PPI), but it has its place.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-07-2021 at 04:30 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote