Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #61
ODelphi
Enthusiast
ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox N96
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble ODelphi, but your entire premise seems to be that annotations are of paramount importance to every person who reads. I read to be informed, and to be entertained, but in none of my recreational reading do I ever feel the need to make annotations. I also have no desire for the Android e-readers whose eventual dominance you consider "inevitable". E-ink is, for me, an awful display medium for any of the functions that my Android tablet performs so admirably - including reading PDFs. Currently of the 850+ books on my Kobo exactly zero are PDFs, a number I am certain will double or triple over time.

The simple reality is, different people have different reading habits and thus prefer different tools to fulfill their needs. To describe users whose usage matches your own as "awake" and "vigilant" (both complimentary adjectives) implies that any who don't share your preferences are therefore not awake or vigilant. This implied insult may or may not have been intended, but it could be avoided by phrasing your posts in a way that recognises that reading is a very individual pursuit, with no one "right" or "best" solution.
You're right, most people are reading to have fun. But this message was directed at people who cared about their annotations. Probably, I too am part of the awake people. This wasn't insulting. You've been squeamish unnecessary.
ODelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #62
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODelphi View Post
You're right, most people are reading to have fun. But this message was directed at people who cared about their annotations. Probably, I too am part of the awake people. This wasn't insulting. You've been squeamish unnecessary.
Yes. Because inferring that someone who doesn't care about annotations is somehow less "awake" (or enlightened, or whatever it is you were going for) is soooooo complimentary.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #63
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
But between Alf and Calibre and the Fetch Annotations plugin, you can do just this with all your books... I always import my highlights back into my Calibre library when I have finished reading a book.

The plugin has been around since at least 2016 and still works great for me.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #64
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Probably, I too am part of the awake people. This wasn't insulting. You've been squeamish unnecessary.
Yes it was, and your usage of "squeamish" is non-standard. The word you were looking for was "sensitive" or "touchy". I was neither. What I did was point out that it's both possible and preferable to state personal preferences without implying that one's own are superior to those of others. Calling those who take annotations "awake" implies that those who don't are "asleep", and that IS insulting
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #65
ODelphi
Enthusiast
ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ODelphi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
But between Alf and Calibre and the Fetch Annotations plugin, you can do just this with all your books... I always import my highlights back into my Calibre library when I have finished reading a book.

I've been using Calibre for a long time. I've just heard this plug-in. I'm gonna try it.
Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #66
ODelphi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes it was, and your usage of "squeamish" is non-standard. The word you were looking for was "sensitive" or "touchy". I was neither. What I did was point out that it's both possible and preferable to state personal preferences without implying that one's own are superior to those of others. Calling those who take annotations "awake" implies that those who don't are "asleep", and that IS insulting
You're right. That word seems more appropriate. I don't think everyone's in here native language English. :-) Thanks.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #67
ODelphi
Enthusiast

ePub file format is not developing for a long time. This is causing to seek other alternatives.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ePub file format is not developing for a long time. This is causing to seek other alternatives.
Only versions 2 to 2.01 to 3 to 3.01 to 3.1

You may not like where the development of EPUB is going, or how it's being handled--that's fair. But to say it's not being actively developed is quite disingenuous (if not downright misleading). The problem is with getting the developers of reading systems to adopt those changes. A problem that anyone looking to develop pdf to be more suitable for reading systems would face as well, I might add.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post

Most of my annotations are for correcting errors in books. I import them, correct the errors using either Sigil or calibre's editor and delete them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Only versions 2 to 2.01 to 3 to 3.01 to 3.1
With version 3.2 in active development though a lot of that development seems to involve rolling back to epub 3.0 from epub 3.1.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #71
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
With version 3.2 in active development though a lot of that development seems to involve rolling back to epub 3.0 from epub 3.1.
Very true.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #72
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

What sort of changes have there been in epub development, broadly speaking? I've never noticed the difference with books I've bought from Kobo, some 2.0, some 3.0
Old 01-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What sort of changes have there been in epub development, broadly speaking? I've never noticed the difference with books I've bought from Kobo, some 2.0, some 3.0
Nothing that most people would notice, really. Mainly because Kobo et al basically ignore the IDPF and cherry-pick what pieces of the spec they like, and downright ignore what they don't.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #74
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Nothing that most people would notice, really. Mainly because Kobo et al basically ignore the IDPF and cherry-pick what pieces of the spec they like, and downright ignore what they don't.

Thanks DiapDealer, I suspected it would be something like that. Are there "front of house" difference an ordinary reader would notice if an ebook followed the standard completely?
Old 01-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks DiapDealer, I suspected it would be something like that. Are there "front of house" difference an ordinary reader would notice if an ebook followed the standard completely?
With the exception of pop-up foot- or end-notes and persistent headers and footers, probably not. New features that readers tend to notice are developed by the various device/reading app people (Kobo, Kindle, Moon, Nook, etc...). Proprietary or open spec; PDF, Kindlebook or EPUB; "innovation" doesn't often happen at the format level. It happens at the device, app, or rendering-engine level.

Tags
bookmarks, highligts, notes