Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Muppet Rat
Muppet Rat began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
File types for Mobi2Mobi

So I've managed to open Mobi2Mobi (I have v012) but I'm still confused. The guide I've read on https://wiki.mobileread.com says it should convert .azw files, but the readme suggests only .mobi & .prc files.
How do I find the .mobi of an Amazon book? My only choices in My Kindle Library are Download to *** device; Clear furthest page read & Delete. I have the .azw, but Mobi2Mobi doesn't see it and it won't convert in calibre, so I don't really know what to do from here.

Muppet Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
.azw is the file extension Amazon uses instead of .mobi, to indicate it came from them. They are the exact same format, in other words. Originally, it was a modification of .prc (Palm Resource Code) for PalmOS which is why it can also use the .prc extension.

If your .azw cannot be opened by mobi2mobi, and calibre cannot convert it, it is undoubtedly locked by DRM encryption, as most ebooks are. After getting the .azw from Amazon your choice is to either use it as-is, and only on the device it was authorized for at the time of download, or to use a third-party tool to strip the DRM from your books, after which both calibre and mobi2mobi can read and convert them.

To start you on your journey, I recommend doing a Google search for "Apprentice Alf".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Muppet Rat
Muppet Rat began at the beginning.

Device: Android tablet
Thanks, I'll look into that
Muppet Rat is offline   Reply With Quote