Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-05-2022, 03:46 AM   #706
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
id=".+?"
would find ID= with any ID value between quotes
Thanks.

That was one of the suggestions I had found by searching for how to match any string.

I note that the expression above is not in brackets. I think that when I was trying I put it it inside brackets, which is probably why it did not work for me.

I am very much a novice when it comes to regex.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:27 AM   #707
BillPearl
BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillPearl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Find long ID strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
I have a book that contains a lot of complex IDs that I am trying to replace with simple ones via a regex find and replace.

The IDs have strings like this - F8901-6c93446a08e5490e8e6b029bcac88fe9

I know how to use [a-z]+ and [0-9]+ but I don't know how to relate that to these complex strings. Unfortunately they appear to be completely random without a common start or end character.

I have tried a few examples that I found by searching on-line, but nothing seems to work for me.

All help gratefully received.
For a string of letters and numbers, everything
([^>]+)(.*?)
eg.
<a name="Chapter_LIII" id="Chapter_LIII"></a>
<a([^>]+)(.*?)></a>

In you case you are using id="([^>]+)(.*?)"
BillPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2022, 09:49 AM   #708
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks.

That was one of the suggestions I had found by searching for how to match any string.

I note that the expression above is not in brackets. I think that when I was trying I put it it inside brackets, which is probably why it did not work for me.

I am very much a novice when it comes to regex.
( ) is a capture
[ ] is a set/range of possibilities
{ } is number of repetitions
Get yourself a REGEX cheat sheet
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #709
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all.

Looks like I will have to start studying up on REGEX
Old 04-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #710
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
id=".+?"
would find ID= with any ID value between quotes
What I use is id="(.*)"
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2022, 06:56 PM   #711
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
id="[^"]+"
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:10 AM   #712
Ashjuk
Fanatic

This is why I find REGEX so confusing.

When I was searching various REGEX sites for the code I could not find a clear answer, and it appears from your replies there are numerous ways of achieving the same result.

Becky - "[A-Fa-f0-9-]+"
theducks - ".+?"
BillPearl - "([^>]+)(.*?)"
JSWolf - "(.*)"
and
DiapDealer - "[^"]+"

I only tried Becky's solution, which worked perfectly, but I assume all the above would have achieved the same result.

So I'm now even more confused. My poor septuagenarian brain is never going to cope

But thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I have noted them all for future reference.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:46 AM   #713
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
This is why I find REGEX so confusing.

When I was searching various REGEX sites for the code I could not find a clear answer, and it appears from your replies there are numerous ways of achieving the same result.

Becky - "[A-Fa-f0-9-]+"
theducks - ".+?"
BillPearl - "([^>]+)(.*?)"
JSWolf - "(.*)"
and
DiapDealer - "[^"]+"

I only tried Becky's solution, which worked perfectly, but I assume all the above would have achieved the same result.

So I'm now even more confused. My poor septuagenarian brain is never going to cope

But thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I have noted them all for future reference.
When the id I want to get rid of is in the format of id="ch1", I use id="ch[0-9]+" That gets rid of the chapter based ids.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #714
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the record: my expression was in response to @theducks and @jswolf's expressions for. finding ANY content between the quotes of id="".

Use regular-expressions.info for learning.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:18 AM   #715
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I want to catch some hrefs.

This catches all:

<a href=".*?">(.*?)</a>
\1

I want to only get those that have the word "smil" somewhere within the link.
href=" smil "

I have tried many ways, but I can't seem to understand regex good enough...
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:48 AM   #716
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

<a [^>]*href="[^"]*smil[^"]*">[^>]*</a>

That's off the cuff and with no captures, but it should be close.

And that's "smil" within the href quotes, not within the link text.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #717
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
href=".*?(?<=smil).*?">(.*?)</a>

edit: dangit - ninja'd again
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #718
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Actually, I'd probably include an extra [^>]* before the > of the opening 'a' tag in case there's attributes that follow href.

<a [^>]*href="[^"]*smil[^"]*"[^>]*>[^>]*</a>
Old 04-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #719
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
href=".*?(?<=smil).*?">(.*?)</a>

edit: dangit - ninja'd again
Bonus points for using a look-behind, though.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:12 AM   #720
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
You guys are awesome, thanks.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote