Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #646
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The following expression should do the trick:

Find:<span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*?)</span>
Replace:\1\L\2\E
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #647
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
The following expression should do the trick:

Thanks, I use that one when there is only one span to remove, however it doesn't seem to work when there are several in the same phrase like in my example. I have checked "minimal match" but it still finds the first opening tag of the series and then the last closing tag, rather than each pair in succession.

Example:
<span class="Cap">F</span><span class="SmallCap">IRST WORD OF THE SENTENCE IS ALWAYS CAPITALISED,</span> <span class="Cap">O</span><span class="SmallCap">THER</span> <span class="Cap">W</span><span class="SmallCap">WORDS IN THE SENTENCE MAY OR MAY NOT BE CAPITALISED</span>

Desired result :
First word of the sentence is always capitalised, Other Words in the sentence may or may not be capitalised.

Actual result:
First word of the sentence is always capitalised,</span> <span class="cap">o</span><span class="smallcap">ther</span> <span class="cap">w</span><span class="smallcap">words in the sentence may or may not be capitalised

So I have lost some capital letters I want to preserve, and also for some reason even if I insert the cursor before the next opening tag of a complete pair, no other matches are found, and the code is broken.

I have not found any way to fix this other than doing it by hand, I really don't know if it's possible to do it with regex to be honest*.

Edit: *I should say, except by doing it in several passes, first
<span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*?)</span> <span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*?)</span> <span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*?)</span>

replace
\1\L\2\E \3\L\4\E \5\L\6\E

Then
<span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*?)</span> <span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*?)</span>

\1\L\2\E \3\L\4\E

Then just one pair.

But I'm interested to know if there is a way to manage all the cases in just one pass, in case you don't know in advance how many sets of spans there might be.

Last edited by Mister L; 06-22-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 01:49 PM   #648
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
Example:
<span class="Cap">F</span><span class="SmallCap">IRST WORD OF THE SENTENCE IS ALWAYS CAPITALISED,</span> <span class="Cap">O</span><span class="SmallCap">THER</span> <span class="Cap">W</span><span class="SmallCap">WORDS IN THE SENTENCE MAY OR MAY NOT BE CAPITALISED</span>

Desired result :
First word of the sentence is always capitalised, Other Words in the sentence may or may not be capitalised.

Actual result:
First word of the sentence is always capitalised,</span> <span class="cap">o</span><span class="smallcap">ther</span> <span class="cap">w</span><span class="smallcap">words in the sentence may or may not be capitalised
That's not the result that I'm getting. With:

I'm getting:

First word of the sentence is always capitalised, Other Wwords in the sentence may or may not be capitalised

(None of the Regex options are checked.) You'll need to uncheck the Minimal Match option.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #649
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
That's not the result that I'm getting. With:

I'm getting:

First word of the sentence is always capitalised, Other Wwords in the sentence may or may not be capitalised

(None of the Regex options are checked.) You'll need to uncheck the Minimal Match option.
Oh, it works if I uncheck Minimal Match! That's the exact opposite of what I would have expected, to be honest... I would expect "minimal match" to make it select the smallest amount of text possible to match the pattern but apparently not. Do you know why it does not work that way, at least in this case?

Well thanks very much for that tip, in future I will experiment more with minimal match and see when it is helpful and when not.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #650
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister L View Post
Do you know why it does not work that way, at least in this case?
AFAIK, if Minimal Match is selected, Sigil will prefix the search string with (?U).

From the PCRE documentation:

Quote:
PCRE_UNGREEDY

This option inverts the "greediness" of the quantifiers so that they
are not greedy by default, but become greedy if followed by "?". It is
not compatible with Perl. It can also be set by a (?U) option setting
within the pattern.
(If you remove the question mark from my regex and select Minimal Match, it works as expected.)
Advert
Old 06-22-2020, 07:34 PM   #651
Mister L
Groupie

Quote:
AFAIK, if Minimal Match is selected, Sigil will prefix the search string with (?U).

From the PCRE documentation:

(If you remove the question mark from my regex and select Minimal Match, it works as expected.)
Ok, very interesting, I did not realise it inverted whatever was already present.

My original question was about fixing chapter headings to make it possible to easily regenerate a TOC, as I recently had a file with chapter headings in this format. To get back to that, is it possible to keep the original text as is, but copy the modified text into a title attribute, bearing in mind there can be a variable number of sets of spans in the title?

I know how to do it with only one set, as I said, but except if I do it in multiple passes (3 sets then 2 sets then 1 set) I don't think this pattern works.

For instance, a heading (that may or may not have a class and may or may not have an ID), and the text is in fake small-caps. Some titles may have one or more capitalised words in the middle but not all of them. I want to add the title attribute in sentence case.

Find:
<h1 class="chapter" id="id01"><span class="Cap">F</span><span class="SmallCap">IRST WORD OF THE SENTENCE IS ALWAYS CAPITALISED</span></h1>

But also:
<h1 class="chapter" id="id01"><span class="Cap">F</span><span class="SmallCap">IRST WORD OF THE SENTENCE IS ALWAYS CAPITALISED,OTHER</span> <span class="Cap">W</span><span class="SmallCap">ORDS IN THE SENTENCE MAY OR MAY NOT BE CAPITALISED</span></h1>

And also:
<h1 class="chapter" id="id01"><span class="Cap">F</span><span class="SmallCap">IRST WORD OF THE SENTENCE IS ALWAYS CAPITALISED,</span> <span class="Cap">O</span><span class="SmallCap">THER</span> <span class="Cap">W</span><span class="SmallCap">ORDS IN THE SENTENCE MAY OR MAY NOT BE CAPITALISED</span></h1>

etc.

Replace:

<h1 class="chapter" id="id01" title="First word of the sentence is always capitalised, Other Words in the sentence may or may not be capitalised"><span class="Cap">F</span><span class="SmallCap">IRST WORD OF THE SENTENCE IS ALWAYS CAPITALISED,</span> <span class="Cap">O</span><span class="SmallCap">THER</span> <span class="Cap">W</span><span class="SmallCap">ORDS IN THE SENTENCE MAY OR MAY NOT BE CAPITALISED</span></h1>

(and other variations with zero or more capitalised words in the middle of the title)

I usually use some variation of this:
Search:
<h1 class="chapter" id="(.*)"><span class="Cap">(.)</span><span class="SmallCap">(.*)</span></h1>

Replace:
<h1 class="chapter" id="\1" title="\2\L\3\E"><span class="Cap">\2</span><span class="SmallCap">\3</span></h1>

It works if there is only one set of spans. If there is more than one set I have to multiply the search variables and the replace variables so there are the same number of sets of each, for iterations of the same search, or correct them by hand one by one as I go along.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #652
luciaisacat
Enthusiast
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Hi! I have chapters without titles and would like to add, to each one of them, their file names in the body text... is this regexable? Thanks!

L

Last edited by luciaisacat; 07-25-2020 at 06:35 AM.
luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #653
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciaisacat View Post
Hi! I have chapters without titles and would like to add, to each one of them, their file names in the body text... is this regexable? Thanks!

L
Yes, it is....probably....maybe.....

We have to have some kind of example to help you. Can you copy/paste a section of code that we can look at?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #654
luciaisacat
Enthusiast

Sure, thanks for helping....

The recurrent code for each chapter/file is the following :
<head>
[....]
</head>
<body>
<h2>Chapter</h2>
My idea would be to Find/Replace in regex mode: <h2>Chapter</h2> with <h2><filename></h2> .... do you know if there is a regex code for <filename>?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes, it is....probably....maybe.....

We have to have some kind of example to help you. Can you copy/paste a section of code that we can look at?

Last edited by luciaisacat; 07-25-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:27 AM   #655
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Unfortunately, I don't think what you want is possible. Not with Sigil's built-in regex Search & Replace feature anyway. Search and Replace doesn't know what the filename is. In this instance, it's merely searching the content given to it. Which is the contents of the file. The regex engine is unaware that what it's searching for (and replacing) is even part of a file. It's immaterial.

You (or someone) may be able to construct a sigil plugin that could accomplish this, but unless it's something you foresee happening a lot, developing a plugin to handle it would likely be more involved than just manually updating the chapter headers.

Sorry.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #656
luciaisacat
Enthusiast

OK... Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think what you want is possible. Not with Sigil's built-in regex Search & Replace feature anyway. Search and Replace doesn't know what the filename is. In this instance, it's merely searching the content given to it. Which is the contents of the file. The regex engine is unaware that what it's searching for (and replacing) is even part of a file. It's immaterial.

You (or someone) may be able to construct a sigil plugin that could accomplish this, but unless it's something you foresee happening a lot, developing a plugin to handle it would likely be more involved than just manually updating the chapter headers.

Sorry.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #657
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You should be able to do it with the calibre editor. You can create a regex-functions. One of the parameters the file name where the match is found. A really dumb function to do this is:

Code:
def replace(match, number, file_name, metadata, dictionaries, data, functions, *args, **kwargs):
    return match.group(0) + '<h2>' + file_name + '</h2>'
With this, using the search term:

Code:
(<body>)
Gave me:

Code:
<body><h2>OEBPS/Text/Section0001.xhtml</h2>
Which is the full path for the file. The function is written in Python, so you can do whatever you want with it. But, you could use the above to get the file name into each file, and then use other searches-and-replaces to arrange things the way you want.

And for the record, I have another function called "Number Chapter" which can be used to number chapters across the complete book in one go. I don't remember if it a supplied function, or one mentioned in the forum that I copied.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 03:00 AM   #658
Klecks
Enthusiast
Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Klecks never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kobo H2O, PocketBook Touch HD, Tolino Vision 4
Hi luciaisacat,

I have played with the idea from davidfor and came up with the following solution for the calibre editor:

1. open your file in the calibre editor.
2. call search/replace, change to Mode: "regex-function", insert your search string and then click "create/edit"
3. you will see a basis function.
4. insert a name for your new Function and replace the code with:
Code:
import re
def replace(match, number, file_name, metadata, dictionaries, data, functions, *args, **kwargs):
    #call file_name and strip file path and -extension:
    newName=(re.search(r'.*?\/([^\.\/]*)\.[^\.]*', file_name).group(1))
    newName=re.sub(r'_',r' ',newName)        #strip _
    newName=re.sub(r' 0',r' ',newName)        #strip leading zero
    #replace bracket term with newName:
    result=re.sub(match.group(1),newName,match.group())
    return result
5. confirm with OK and now you can use that function. It will replace whatever is between the brackets in your search string with the file name (minus path and file extension)

Klecks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	180929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 3 - basis function.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	180930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 4 - new function.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	180931  
Klecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:27 AM   #659
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Remove Kobo spans

I just want to contribute a bit, as I found a way to remove Kobo spans:

Search:
Code:
<span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.[0-9]{1,2}([.][0-9]{1,2})?">([^<>]+)</span>
Replace:
Code:
\2
Might be usefulto someone.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:06 AM   #660
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
I just want to contribute a bit, as I found a way to remove Kobo spans:

Search:
Code:
<span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.[0-9]{1,2}([.][0-9]{1,2})?">([^<>]+)</span>
Replace:
Code:
\2
Might be usefulto someone.
For the record, the Modify ePub plugin includes function to remove the Kobo spans. And, Diap's Editing Toolbag plugin can remove spans based on the class. I think that is the way I did it the last time I wanted to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote