Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #31
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
My list of HC buy-now authors ist quite short as I don't usually buy hardcover, but here it is:

Ryk E. Spoor
John Scalzi (looking forward to my limited edition of "Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded" )
Steve Brust
Jim Butcher (Dresden novels - not so sure about the furies books)

Charles Stross looks like another likely candidate - loved Glasshouse and I first have to get all the backlog

I love Terry Pratchett but prefer his books as audiobooks. Still gotta have the paperbacks
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #32
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Noah Gordon
Stephen Lawhead
George R. R. Martin
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #33
Whiskeyjack
Whiskeyjack began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Steven Erikson
George rr Martin
Joe Abercrombie
Tad Williams
Brian Ruckley
Ian C. Esslemont
Scott Lynch
R. Scott Bakker
Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
sunsetsylvia
Enthusiast
sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (sangria red), PRS-350 (silber), Galaxy Tab
Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series)
Nalini Singh (Psy/Changelings)
Karen Marie Moning (Fever series)
Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark Hunters)
J.D. Robb (In Death)

But I get these as paperbacks, so that the books match.
sunsetsylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #35
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetsylvia View Post
Diana Gabaldon (Outlander series)
Nalini Singh (Psy/Changelings)
Karen Marie Moning (Fever series)
Sherrilyn Kenyon (Dark Hunters)
J.D. Robb (In Death)

But I get these as paperbacks, so that the books match.
Never heard about any of them. On the other hand I know every single one on Whiskeyjack's list:
Quote:
Steven Erikson
George rr Martin
Joe Abercrombie
Tad Williams
Brian Ruckley
Ian C. Esslemont
Scott Lynch
R. Scott Bakker
Strange, isn't?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Never heard about any of them. On the other hand I know every single one on Whiskeyjack's list:
J. D. Robb is Nora Roberts. The series written under the name J. D. Robb is a science fiction romance police series.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #37
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I used to like Mr. Crichton, but I'm afraid I can never forgive him for...
...Ian Malcom. I stopped reading Crichton after Jurassic Park II when he brought a character back from the dead just to make money on the franchise. Left a bad taste in my mouth. You can't talk about how everyone attended his funeral then start the next book with a quick "my death was over-publicized and never actually happened" line. Bah.

As for "must-buy" authors... the list is suspiciously empty right now. My reading habits have changed significantly since getting an ereader.

I haven't bought hard-cover books in many years because they're too expensive ($30!), too heavy, and too difficult to move. (The one exception to this being my much-coveted hard copy of Ender's Game.) Since I got my ereader, I donated most of my hard covers to the local library. If I want to read them again I won’t want to deal with the weight/inconvenience of the hardcover, so I’ll just purchase the ebook if that time ever comes.

My list used to contain (in no particular order):
Stephen King
Robert Jordan
JK Rowling
Orson Scott Card (though I mostly won’t touch his newer stuff because the Morman propaganda overpowers the story)

I'll probably purchase the next Wheel of Time books right away (formerly by Jordan, but Sanderson is finishing the series after Jordan's death), but only if they're available in ebook format. I've lost all patience for holding up a 50 lb book while reading. I'm also not fond of holding open a paperback that is as wide as it is tall.

My truly favorite authors (Asimov, Heinlein) don’t really count because they’re not releasing new books anymore.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #38
sunsetsylvia
Enthusiast
sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (sangria red), PRS-350 (silber), Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Never heard about any of them.

On the other hand I know every single one on Whiskeyjack's list:

Strange, isn't?
He!
Diana Gabaldon writes historical fiction, the others urban fantasy, paranormal romance or romantic suspense and each one is IMO on top of her genre. So if you ever think of tipping your toes in these waters, go for them .

Concerning some "regular" fantasy, Naomi Novik with her Temeraire books should be on my list, too.
But that's about it with my autobuys.

ETA: If Jane Austen, Douglas Adams or Dorothy Dunnett were still around and writing they'd be up there as well.

Last edited by sunsetsylvia; 06-20-2009 at 04:09 PM.
sunsetsylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #39
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
My list of authors whos books I automatically buy as soon as there is a new release ist:
Jim Butcher (the dresden Files and Codex Alera series)
Anne Bishop
Diana Gabaldon
Patricia Briggs
Christine Feehan
Sherrilyn Kenyon (dark, were, dream hunter books)
Tamora Pierce
Clive Cussler (dirk pitt books)
J.D. Robb
Karen Marie Moning
Yasmin Galenorn
Katie MacAlister (her dragon books)'
Jacqueline Carey
Joey W Hill
Traci Harding (although I have some difficulties getting her books as they are first only published in Australia )
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:02 PM   #40
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
The only ones I would (and do) automatically buy are:

Carl Hiaasen
Christopher Broookmyre
Terry Pratchett
Ben Elton

Probably not a very adventurous list
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #41
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Whiskeyjack, awesome user name!

My list (INPO):

Charles De Lint (thanks for reminding me Whiskeyjack)
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
JK Rowling
Jodi Picoult
Clive Barker (Didn't love Mister B. Gone)
Neil Gaiman

Now that I have a K2, I don't really feel the need to buy new release pBooks. I mean, it seems like I should so that I have the complete collection on my shelves, but I don't really have everything by any author. With special or limited editions I never will.

I'm trying to limit the pBooks that I buy now, to something that I want to see on my bookcase, something that I want to share, or something that is limited in eBook formatting.
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #42
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Alastair Reynolds
Joe Abercrombie
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #43
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've had three auto-buy authors, but only for a specific series:

Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, their continuation of the Dune Series (started in pbook format, ended in ebook format, I'll need 3 more pbooks).
Julian May, her Pliocene Exiles series, Intervention, and Galactic Milieu. (the last two of the last series hadn't come out when I started buying it)
Jean M. Auel: books 4 and 5 I bought as soon as I knew they were out.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #44
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
The only books I automatically buy/preorder are the Terry Pratchett Discworld books. Otherwise I decide on a book by book basis, which is also affected by what I can easily get at the library - my local library is good at getting new releases in quickly and putting several copies on one week loan. This means that I can usually get hold of very popular books quickly for free, and of course I don't have to store them. I can always buy them later in paperback (or now ebook) when they're cheaper if I think I@m going to want to keep my own copy.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #45
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

Strange, isn't?
No, it only says that you don't like romance and like fantasy
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote