Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-21-2024, 05:50 PM   #1
jfree
jfree
jfree began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Popup Footnotes

So I'm mostly a print guy and created a book in InDesign for a friend who is self publishing on KDP. He also wants an eBook and Kindle book. I've read up a bit on converting InDesign to ePub and after many a trial and error, have a close but not perfect ePub (if there is such a thing as a perfect ebook).

In any case, the book has about 25 footnotes. I first tried having them go to the end of the chapter or section, but didn't like the fact that each showed up on its own page (one footnote per page). Then tried the popup approach. I saw there was still the single age reference when I previewed in Kindle Previewer, Calibre and Sigil, but thought they would be hidden once on a Kindle. I forwarded the EPUB to my Kindle and while the footnotes do popup properly, I notice they also show up at the end of the chapter.

So is there any way to get rid of the footnotes showing up one to a page, even though I chose popup during the conversion? Did I set something wrong?

Everything in the print book is styled with paragraph or character styles.

Also, I'm not very comfortable editing CSS or html files, but do have Calibre and Sigil on my Mac. So if anyone suggests edits, please be very clear how and what edits I might need to make.

Thanks

Jeff
jfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:26 PM   #2
Lukusaukko
Enthusiast
Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lukusaukko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
One way would be to make a separate last file or chapter which holds all the footnotes, and then have the popups display them from there - just name it Footnotes (or Endnotes, if you prefer). That's the way I usually do it when I format pop-up footnotes - it will still appear if browsing page-by-page, but since it's its own separate chapter at the end of the book, it doesn't break the flow.
Lukusaukko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footnotes, indesign, pub