Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #526
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I also have an Oasis 2, 32GB, 700 books on it, and read for long periods (maybe 2 - 4 hours at a stretch). I can easily go 5 to 7 days before needing to recharge. I keep WiFi on all the time, lights at 10 or 12.

I'm just now getting over a nasty cold - watery eyes, runny nose, etc. As a result, I didn't feel like reading the whole time, so the Kindle has been sitting for the last week and a half. I picked it up just now and the battery shows 94%. I don't remember the last time I charged it, but it has been at least 2 weeks.

I don't think there's a problem with the Oasis, its design, or the firmware. Rather, it seems to be the hit-or-miss nature of Chinese-sourced batteries.
Wow never sell yours ! If you do it's worth it's weight in Titanium
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #527
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Wow, what I would give for battery life like that! I guess I will have to try a replacement one last time then.

Can I ask when you bought your Oasis? Maybe the newer ones have sorted out this battery problem...
I think it was around mid-August of this year.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 PM   #528
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Wow never sell yours ! If you do it's worth it's weight in Titanium
It could be a double-edged sword. It has been my experience with Chinese batteries that, either you get one with crappy capacity that lasts for 5 years, or you get one with good capacity that lasts for 1 year (or less).

When it comes time to replace the battery, I'm going to look hard for a Japanese replacement before I roll the dice on a Chinese one. But for now, it's performing very well.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #529
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Just clutching at straws while trying to rationalize my very poor battery life.
I gave up. I’m on my second. Second one far worse than the first.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #530
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
What’s best way to gauge if my Oasis battery is just typical crappy (just life with oasis 2)and whether it is worse than typical crappy (need to replace it).

Today my wife read her voyage at same time I read my Oasis. Same room, same lighting, in ten minutes she lost zero % of battery, I lost 4% of battery.

I love the device, but absolutely hate the battery.

Maybe a few of us could do a test?
Charge to 100%, Read with auto light off and light set at 6.
Read 15 minutes and post what your battery level is at?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #531
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any device will "stick" at 100% for a while before the level starts to fall. Wait for the charge level to fall below 100% and then measure the rate of fall.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #532
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Does turning auto brightness off and managing that myself improve battery much?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #533
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Does turning auto brightness off and managing that myself improve battery much?
Yes, it does with mine I never use it on the Oasis 2.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #534
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
It could be a double-edged sword. It has been my experience with Chinese batteries that, either you get one with crappy capacity that lasts for 5 years, or you get one with good capacity that lasts for 1 year (or less).

When it comes time to replace the battery, I'm going to look hard for a Japanese replacement before I roll the dice on a Chinese one. But for now, it's performing very well.
That's interesting, do you mean replacing only the battery on the Oasis 2 ? I'm only asking because I read the Oasis 2 batteries were difficult to replace.

Those darn Chinese batteries ! I waited for a Japanese built Toyota 4 Runner, they were starting to build them here in the U.S. I wanted one made in Japan.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #535
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
That's a good point Harry, but I was thinking more along how many more charges over all for the life of the battery. My charges would far exceed yours unless you were charging or topping off every day.
This is an oversimplification, but with the "current" generation of batteries, it is more like topping it up by 10% 10 times would be roughly equivalent to charging it from "dead" to 100% once.. The number of TIMES you charge isn't as important anymore as the total "charge" going through the battery.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:52 AM   #536
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
This is an oversimplification, but with the "current" generation of batteries, it is more like topping it up by 10% 10 times would be roughly equivalent to charging it from "dead" to 100% once.. The number of TIMES you charge isn't as important anymore as the total "charge" going through the battery.
Exactly.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:49 AM   #537
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Thanks for sharing... so charging from 0-100% is bad? Care to share any Oasis 2 battery saving tips? I recently had to return mine because it wouldn’t hold a charge at all, but my new device has an abysmal battery... I make sure to never leave it charging overnight but that’s pretty much it...
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #538
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Thanks for sharing... so charging from 0-100% is bad?
Letting the charge on any lithium battery get too low is not a good idea, but you'll be fine if you recharge at the time (or soon after) the Kindle gives you the "Battery Empty" screen. Personally I tend to recharge when the battery gets to around the 30% region, which means about once a week with my typical reading habits.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #539
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:

Any ideas on where one would be able to search for and buy a kindle Oasis 2 battery? Chinese or otherwise?
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #540
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Yes but it dosen't address the problem, if you start with a battery that drains quickly and top everyday or do a full charge, the result will be going from bad to worse. i wonder where it will be a year from now ? So far it works well.

Tags
battery life, koa2