Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I need some help re-homing some hardback books

my folks got those Reader's Diget COndensed Books for years. (and years and years and years). they are downsizing and the books need to be re-homed. they go from 1952 through 2004 (there may be some later, I am not entirely certain). these kind of seem to be the National Geographic of books. great idea (well not really, but that's another story), but what do you do with them?

any ideas folks? (already tried local schools and hospitals)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
my folks got those Reader's Diget COndensed Books for years. (and years and years and years). they are downsizing and the books need to be re-homed. they go from 1952 through 2004 (there may be some later, I am not entirely certain). these kind of seem to be the National Geographic of books. great idea (well not really, but that's another story), but what do you do with them?

Charity shops? Local youth organisations?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I wonder how much it would cost to ship the complete set? I would love to have them, if not for the fact shipping would be a major hassle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Do you have a local Freecycle network?
It's amazing the stuff some people want; and they're happy to come and collect it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I wonder how much it would cost to ship the complete set? I would love to have them, if not for the fact shipping would be a major hassle.
wow Nate! I'd love to send them to you! there are about 210 books they think. I'll be here until the 26th (figure the 24th for business days) do you want to check it out? I'm probably coming back in the spring for awhile after my knee heals, but nothing firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you have a local Freecycle network?
It's amazing the stuff some people want; and they're happy to come and collect it.
I'll look! thanks!
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
wow Nate! I'd love to send them to you! there are about 210 books they think. I'll be here until the 26th (figure the 24th for business days) do you want to check it out? I'm probably coming back in the spring for awhile after my knee heals, but nothing firm
I already know a little about how to ship it. Media mail is the cheapest, but it you have to take the packages to the Post Office. For this many books it would be a major hassle.

I thought of a better use for all these books. Do you remember how Sherman Alexie was whining about the how ebooks risk the loss of American culture? Why don't we help him preserve American culture by shipping all these books to him.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
I thought of a better use for all these books. Do you remember how Sherman Alexie was whining about the how ebooks risk the loss of American culture? Why don't we help him preserve American culture by shipping all these books to him.
SNORT!!!!

actually it wouldn't really be that much of a hassle! this is a sleepy little mountain town where people go to the post office to kibbitz. this is doable!
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
You could glue them together as a large box and send it to Kaufman so he could hide in it...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
SNORT!!!!

actually it wouldn't really be that much of a hassle! this is a sleepy little mountain town where people go to the post office to kibbitz. this is doable!
I think I found his home address. How far are you from Seattle?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

the books and I are in New Mexico right now.

I'm sure we could come up something else when I get back to WA
Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
You could glue them together as a large box and send it to Kaufman so he could hide in it...
everybody's a comedian
Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I already know a little about how to ship it. Media mail is the cheapest, but it you have to take the packages to the Post Office. For this many books it would be a major hassle.

I'm tempted to chip in for that!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Goodwill? Salvation Army? Used bookstore?
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Check with local nursing homes/assisted livings.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #15
bcumyns
bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcumyns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 300
Quote:

Your local jail or prison would probably be happy to get therm.
bcumyns is offline   Reply With Quote