Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you still purchase physical books?
Yes, more than eBooks. 18 9.68%
Yes, the same amount as eBooks. 4 2.15%
Yes, but less than eBooks. 47 25.27%
Yes, but only when the book is unavailable in digital format. 30 16.13%
No, but I still read physical books I already have. 43 23.12%
No, and I don't own any physical books. 19 10.22%
Other/Option not mentioned here. 33 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #76
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
To everyone hating on the Reader's Digest editions -

I'm never going to hate on something that is a gateway to reading. If RD meets someone where they are and gets them interested in reading, then I have no issues. They aren't high art or anything, but they do serve a purpose.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #77
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The art in them is nice too.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 03:39 PM   #78
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Instead of reading those books she was not intereted in, but her friends were raving about, my granny often read the Readers Digest short version. This way she was able to follow or participate in discussions about them, without having to suffer through them for longer than necessary. She was a smart one my gran
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #79
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
To everyone hating on the Reader's Digest editions -

I'm never going to hate on something that is a gateway to reading. If RD meets someone where they are and gets them interested in reading, then I have no issues. They aren't high art or anything, but they do serve a purpose.

I got some karma from some folks for this, so I thought I'd expand a little. My grandparents had 2nd and 3rd grade educations respectively. I lived with them for a span as a kid. They didn't have cable TV, but they did have some mail-order RD editions. The three-volume Sherlock Holmes set was my first ever exposure to Holmes, and it turned into a life-long love. Those editions were also the first place my grandmother ever read poetry. When she died, I found thousands of hand-written poems that she had copied out of library books.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2022-02-10_093717.png
Views:	125
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	192251  

Last edited by astrangerhere; 02-10-2022 at 12:53 PM.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #80
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I buy printed book if there isn't the ebook version. I also buy ebook if there are important images or maps in the book (like art books or some History books).

I very seldom buy printed books otherwise. I prefer ebooks because I feel more "mine" the file (I can convert the format, change css) than the printed book.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #81
nightcolors
Enthusiast
nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nightcolors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS700, T1, Kobo Libra
I somehow clicked on the wrong choice before pressing vote. *sigh* I meant to choose 'No, but I still read physical books I already have.' Because I still have all my old physical books, even though I don't really read them these days. I did not mean to vote for 'No, and I don't own any physical books' option. I probably need more coffee...
nightcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 04:48 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I was to get a pBook to read, I'd get it from the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:43 PM   #83
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
No, but I still own physical books however I don’t read them as I’ve got them all digitally.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:09 PM   #84
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
the vast majority of what I read comes from the library, and about 2/3 of that is paperbooks. My library has both Overdrive and Hoopla so I do get many books that way as well. But Hoopla can't be transferred to my Kobo, have to read on my tablet, which is harder on the eyes. And a lot that I read aren't available as ebooks either.

I buy very few books, either ebook or paper, but those I do are ones that aren't available through libraries. I still have some sentimental sets of certain favorite books like LOTR in paper that I'll always keep but I've been slowly getting rid of most of my paper library in preparation for moving in a few years.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #85
zakman
Enthusiast
zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zakman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2019
Occasionally, when I read a really good library ebook and want to support the author.
zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #86
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I still buy paperbooks. I love the feeling of real paper. 😊
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 01:15 PM   #87
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
I still buy paperbooks. I love the feeling of real paper. 😊
I, too, like the feel of real books. But I'm too cheap to buy books most of the time when the library has them, esp since I usually read 3-4 per week.

Only books which are either unavailable or I am likely to reread more than once.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:39 PM   #88
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Novels are pretty much all eBooks for me these days. But technical and reference books are often still bought in paper.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:14 AM   #89
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
For myself personally no. I don’t. However I have young children and I still buy physical books for them. I’m just waiting for them to get a bit older and they will be getting their own kindles. I definitely think my 3 year old is going to be a reader. He is always asking for us to read to him. He often wants you to read a book over and over. He goes to pre-school and they give him one book to read a week. A soon as he gets his new book and gets home he demands that you read it with him straight away lol My 5 year old is not interested in reading unfortunately. We have to encourage and persuade him to.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:42 PM   #90
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't buy any physical books, but I do still enjoy reading them (from my local library which is just a block away)
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote