Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
availability of E-books

I currently own a sony reader, a prs600, and am relativly happy with it. I cannot say the same for the sony store. Just today i found out that Matthew reilly had launched his new book on Jan 5, and it is not available on the sony store, also I wanted the percy jackson and the olympians series for my son and wife as the movie is comming out and we wanted to read the book first. Again, no go. I also checked barnes and noble, and also no go for their nook, they do have them in paper, but not for the nook. Last I went to Amazon and they did have all of them for the kindle. Initially I staied away from the kindle for the lack of pdf compatability, but now they claim they do do pdf. So my question arrises, will sony and BN get there soon with the availability at thir stores? Or should i jump ship, sell my current readers (both myself and my wife own sony readers), and buy a kindle?
Opinions please
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
cavi

Welcome to MR!

There are a number of other sites you can go to to look for specific books. A list of eBook sites is here in the wiki (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores). You can use sites like inkmesh to search multiple sites at once as well.

Hope that helps
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle's native PDF capability is very limited, essentially like the PRS-600's full page view.

One option is to buy from Amazon using Kindle for PC, strip the DRM (unswindle.pyw is the easiest method) and then convert to ePub using Calibre. This is probably legal in the US for personal use of ebooks you bought. Note that this only works on AZW ebooks. The vast majority of Kindle ebooks are in the AZW format, but some are in the TOPAZ format.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Stay the course, Cavi, it's still early on and a lot of publishers are working hard to convert titles.

Also, check Kobo, they may have the titles you're looking for.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
This is a problem with, basically, all ebook stores. I suspect it's inherent in the ebook sales model, but maybe not. It's analogous to the 'out of print' problem at pbook stores, but affects both new & old books at ebook stores.

Basically, not all publishers make their books available as ebooks. And of those that do, not all make them available in all formats (and therefore they aren't available for all readers). Amazon currently seems more aggressive than other bookstores about acquiring new ebooks, but even they can't get all new books. Policies change over time though, so changing readers due to a current policy seems somewhat short-sighted to me. But that's just me-you can make up your own mind about that.

Personally, I don't like the Kindle-but many others do. So what I do (when I want an ebook from Amazon) is use Kindle for PC, download it, de-DRM it (if possible), and convert it to whatever format I need. Takes a bit of work, but frees me from reliance on either a single ebook store or a single format.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

would someone mind giving me a quick heads up on where to find unswindle.pyw and how it works?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Below is a link to Mathew Reilly books on Kobo (including the latest). Kobo books will work fine on your reader....

http://www.kobobooks.com/search/sear...thew%20reilly&

edit: And if you put the promo code "save20" in at check out, I still think it's good for 20% off

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 01-25-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
I have already become very fond of doing all my searching for ebooks through Inkmesh ( http://inkmesh.com ). It shows you all the places you can find a particular book. I've found some good ones on sites I wouldn't expect, and on sites I didn't know existed. It's easy to find out if a particular book or site will work with your reader, too. Love it!
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
cavi
Connoisseur

yes i found the Matthew reilly book on Kobo, unfortunatly a bit too late on the cupon as i already bought it, and yes that inkmesh site is great!!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
cavi
Connoisseur

I figured out the whole unswindle, calibre thing, thank you all very much!!! sc### Sony for not having the books I want!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good for you, unswindle is a great thing.....but it will not work on all Amazon books. Those with the "topaz" DRM do not work with it....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
I have already become very fond of doing all my searching for ebooks through Inkmesh ( http://inkmesh.com ). It shows you all the places you can find a particular book. I've found some good ones on sites I wouldn't expect, and on sites I didn't know existed. It's easy to find out if a particular book or site will work with your reader, too. Love it!
Thanks to dsvick and CarolineNH for revealing to me the Inkmesh site, which I had no knowledge of before. Even though I thought I had identified all the principal commercial sources for the purchase of ebooks in the US and UK -- and had searched them all in vain for ebook availability of Fagles translation of The Iliad in a non-Kindle format -- Inkmesh found it for me in Lulu, a source I also had never known existed. I made my purchase and am very pleased. Many thanks.
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote