Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Why does Calibre Library take up so much space? 7000 books equals 50GB when exported

Why does Calibre Library take up so much space?

7000 books equals 50GB when exported. Most books in my library are epubs, and most of these epubs are 2MB on average I'm guessing. Yes, I do have some epubs that have many high-res images. Yes, I do have about 200 PDFs, some of which are image-based PDFs.

But I wouldn't think it would take 50 gigabytes? Are these one-gigabyte library000X.data slivers not compressed?

And what about the calibre-library itself (I mean, not just the "exported data" form)?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
If you're on Windows, run WinDirStat on your library folder. It can be a little slow but it'll show you where the space is going.

I'd put money on the PDF files you mentioned.

For ePubs, you can run Polish > Losslessly compress images and see if that helps.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on Linux.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

K4DirStat or QDirStat may be of more use then, though I can't vouch for them myself. I recommended WinDirStat specifically because it also shows which extensions are taking up the most space.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
200 off 200 M byte Image PDFs is 40G.

You can easily find out how much space your PDFs take.
Then there are 7000 cover images, stored separately.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
K4DirStat or QDirStat may be of more use then, though I can't vouch for them myself. I recommended WinDirStat specifically because it also shows which extensions are taking up the most space.
JDiskReport may also be of use, if you don't mind Java. Like WinDirStat, it'll also breakdown the filetypes for you.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
droopy
Guru

i avoid java if i can.
anyway, I found that "Disk Usage Analyzer" comes pre-installed with Mint 20.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Let us know the breakdown. You've got me curious, at least
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:21 PM   #9
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
This makes me curious too. I hadn't checked for a long time, but I find I've got 38,273 "books", 22.9 gb, for an average of 600 kb per "book". Virtually all epubs, lots of short stories and so on. I see books getting fatter all the time, it's getting ridiculous.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

My library is around 20 GB, but the vast bulk of that is taken up by image-heavy PDF files.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:51 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My library clocks in at 22.4GB for about 11,700 books. Mostly epub with the occasional PDF. If I dropped my average cover size from 1000x1500 to 500x750, I'd drop 10GB of that space.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:20 AM   #12
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My library clocks in at 22.4GB for about 11,700 books. Mostly epub with the occasional PDF. If I dropped my average cover size from 1000x1500 to 500x750, I'd drop 10GB of that space.
I have a forma. when i do "Download Metadata" in Calibre, the cover sizes vary:
Some examples are:
1XX by 1XX
3XX by 5XX
1200 by 2000

What image size is ideal for a Kobo Forma?
Old 07-23-2020, 01:34 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I have a forma. when i do "Download Metadata" in Calibre, the cover sizes vary:
Some examples are:
1XX by 1XX
3XX by 5XX
1200 by 2000

What image size is ideal for a Kobo Forma?
Whatever size you like. I still use the 1000x1500 or 1125x1500 from the days when I had the cover displayed as the sleep screen. The smallest I found usable for that was the 500x750 but on some covers, it made the sleep image look pixelated. It may cost me a bit of storage but that's rather cheap these days.

Ask yourself how often do I actually look at the cover? For more than 1 second?

Not to mention that you have to be careful with some cover sources. Google seems to love 1800x2700 images that when you look at the full size image are horribly pixelated.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:26 AM   #14
droopy
Guru

After I decide on my preferred image size, is there a way to tell the caliber program to choose a certain size as my first option and then another size as my second option and then the third size as my third option?
Old 07-23-2020, 03:27 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My calibre ebooks folder is 45.88GB for 4787 books.

3,452 MOBI: 18.44GB
2,220 ePub: 11.54GB
203 CBZ: 9.69GB
71 PDF: 3.79GB
791 AZW3: 1.04GB
4757 JPEG Covers: 789MB
31 PDB & PMLZ: ca. 25MB
original copies: ca 20MB

Total of ebook files: 45.29 GB

It doesn't look like there's a lot of overhead to me.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote