Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #1
klover137006
klover137006 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Dictionary with old language

Hi!

Recently got a Kobo and just learned how to add a hyphenation dictionary in my own language (swedish).

Now, a question that I've unsuccessfully been trying to find an answer to online is this:

I read a lot of old swedish literature from the 19th century and in that time a lot of words were spelled differently than today (f instead of v etc.) and also some words were in use that's not found in a modern dictionary.

Therefore I would like to add a dictionary of old swedish but am unsure of what the best way to do this would be, or for that matter, in what ways it can be done.

Would it be possible to have two separate dictionaries; one for 19th century swedish and one for modern swedish? (That of course implies being able to mark certain e-books as written in 19th century swedish.)

Thanks!
klover137006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo AuraHD; Kobo Aura One
If you have access to such dictionary in the right format, then yes, it is easy to use it as you describe.

And you don't have to specify the language of the book, you just have to select the dictionary you want to use, in the result panel, when doing a specific search.

Either you patch the e reader and your added custom dictionary will be available as extra_e1 (for example) or you have to 'disguise' it as one of the default languages (you will loose access to that language, so pick one you are not planning to use).
There are a few tutorials in this forum for both options.

If you don't have the dictionary, you have always the option to eventually convert from another format, assuming you have access to the right data.
There are some tools available in this forum to achieve that goal. They seem quite simple to use, but I have never use them myself...
ndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
klover137006

Woho, great, thanks! So can I name it whatever I want so it shows up under that name in the result panel?
Old 07-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
ndriver
ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.ndriver knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo; Kobo AuraHD; Kobo Aura One
Not quite... If you decide to not patch your e-reader, then you have to choose the language that you overwrote with your new dictionary. Please note that if you try this method, your dictionary may be overwritten itself during a sync or an update and revert to the original language.

If you choose the patch method, it will show up as e1, e2, etc...Not long ago you could name the dictionaries, but at the moment that does not work. The upside is now you don't have to edit the sqlite file. Here is the link for this method:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273820
ndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:24 AM   #5
klover137006

I see, well that's not a problem. Thank you so much for the link!
Advert

Tags
dictionaries, kobo, old books