Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
malaga.1979
malaga.1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96 DT
Defective dictionnary performance Boox N96DT

Hi,

The dictionnary performance in Onyx Boox N96DT seems to be defective or I don't quite know how to make it work. For instance, if I look up "searched" in the dictionnary, no entries are found; i.e., the dictionnary function doesn't seem to discriminate word variants, making this functionality totally useless.

Does anyone know how to setup the dictionnary funcionality to work as it should? And does anyone know where good dictionnaries can be downloaded from? Thanks in advance.
malaga.1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
I don't have a your particular device, but I struggled with the same issue when I bought my Android based Boyue T62+ eReader. I was frustrated with dictionaries that didn't include the various formats of words such as plural or past tense... so I ended up using a free dictionary called WordNet, which worked when it was in the Stardict format. You can read my post about it here and use the link to give it a try. (I just unzipped the file and copied the contents to the "dict" folder on my Boyue, and it works great. Hopefully it will work the same for the Boox, but if not, maybe someone will post with more specific directions for your device.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=85

I hope this helps!

Edited to Add: Looking at my previous posts about my dictionary issues, I see that I actually had to create the "Dict" folder in the root of my Boyue, it wasn't already there. But creating it and copying the dictionary files, as mentioned above, made it work just fine with all the appropriate definition pop-ups while reading and looking up a word.

Last edited by blue_skies; 03-11-2018 at 03:24 PM.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
malaga.1979
malaga.1979 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox N96 DT
Thanks, blue_skies. I will try to embed those dictionaries. I've been checking the Onyx software updates (on ereader.store) with the hope they will release some improvements on their clearly defective software in basic things like dictionaries. But nothing new has been posted for a whole year. Instead, they seem to be focused on the newly released products, running Android 6.0.

So I will go for your workaround. Thanks a lot.

Best regards
malaga.1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaga.1979 View Post
Thanks, blue_skies. I will try to embed those dictionaries. I've been checking the Onyx software updates (on ereader.store) with the hope they will release some improvements on their clearly defective software in basic things like dictionaries. But nothing new has been posted for a whole year. Instead, they seem to be focused on the newly released products, running Android 6.0.

So I will go for your workaround. Thanks a lot.

Best regards
I started to wonder if Onyx uses a different folder name instead of "dict", and it looks like they do, and you have to put the WordNet files in the "dictionary" folder.

From the Onyx N96 User Manual - https://ereader-store.de/DATA/N96DT/...0Manual%20.pdf
Quote:
Dictionary
Long press the content can pitch up words to pop up the dictionary. Stardict can be
supported. Users can download Stardict dictionary and put it into folder“dictionary”
on MicroSD card, then the dictionary can be used when reading;
Perhaps you already realized the correct folder name. Please let me know if you get the it to work okay on your Onyx device. I hope you like the WordNet dictionary as much as I do! (I was just so happy to finally have definitions pop up when I long-pressed a word, including various forms of words, but I also really like how clearly it displays on my ereader.) Best of luck to you!
Old 05-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I don't have a your particular device, but I struggled with the same issue when I bought my Android based Boyue T62+ eReader. I was frustrated with dictionaries that didn't include the various formats of words such as plural or past tense... so I ended up using a free dictionary called WordNet, which worked when it was in the Stardict format. You can read my post about it here and use the link to give it a try. (I just unzipped the file and copied the contents to the "dict" folder on my Boyue, and it works great. Hopefully it will work the same for the Boox, but if not, maybe someone will post with more specific directions for your device.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=85

I hope this helps!

Edited to Add: Looking at my previous posts about my dictionary issues, I see that I actually had to create the "Dict" folder in the root of my Boyue, it wasn't already there. But creating it and copying the dictionary files, as mentioned above, made it work just fine with all the appropriate definition pop-ups while reading and looking up a word.
Excellent. Worked for me. Extracted the folder within the zip to /sdcard/dicts/

A massive improvement on the longman dictionary included with the n96ml.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Excellent. Worked for me. Extracted the folder within the zip to /sdcard/dicts/

A massive improvement on the longman dictionary included with the n96ml.
That's great! I'm so glad it worked for you. Thank you for posting your feedback.

(PS: Another nice thing about this dictionary is that it recognizes words that are hyphenated at a line break, which my previous dictionary failed to do.)

Tags
boox, dictionnaries, onyx