Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #61
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
After some more experimentation:

Deleted book (using Calibre), and resent book (KoboTouchExtended-created kepub) resulted in:
* Book listed on home screen as newly added with correct cover
* Book can be selected, opened and read
* Once back on home screen book cannot be seen, just a blank cover under 'New' which gives error message when selected

Aura ejected and reconnected (metadata updated automatically, no other changes):
* No change - book not listed as being read, a blank cover appears under 'New' etc.

The book always appears in the library, displaying cover correctly.

Hope this helps...
After some comparison of the files and database output you sent me, I found......... nothing that makes sense to me!

The kepub on the device when it works and the kepub on the device after opening and it stops working are identical (according to their SHA512 checksums), so that confirms that the device is not doing anything to the kepub to munge it. The filesystem is FAT32 (possibly vFAT)

The database dump before adding the book contains no references to the book, which is exactly what I want to see.

The database dump after adding the book and after the book becomes unreadable are mostly identical except for a few things:
  • The WordCount field for the individual files within a book is mostly '0' and '-1' after initial processing, but becomes a more reasonable value after the book is no longer readable. Specifically, all entries with ContentType = 9 are updated to values that seem reasonable for the book and all other entries (ContentType = 899 or ContentType = 6) are left at -1, which makes sense based on what these ContentType values represent.
  • The DateLastRead field for the main book entry (ContentType = 6) is set to its default (1970-01-01T00:00:00) before reading the book, but has a timezone identifier afterward (2013-04-30T19:09:27Z). This is consistent with what I'm used to seeing with a Glo.
  • The ChapterIDBookmarked field is blank before opening the book and set to the URI fragment identifying the Kobo span tag where the reader believes reading stopped (specifically in this dump, OEBPS/Text/The_Ship_split_004.html#kobo.8.1).
  • The ___PercentRead field was 0 before the book was read and was updated after the book was opened and a few pages were read.
  • The three fields for reading stats estimates (RestOfBookEstimate, CurrentChapterEstimate, and CurrentChapterProgress) were 0 before opening the book and are updated with estimates after opening the book and reading a few pages.
Every individual piece makes sense, it makes sense taken together, but it makes no sense at all why the device fails to open the book. Does anyone else have this problem? chrisparker, does this happen for you with any other books?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #62
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kind and gentle people who enjoy testing! Over on GitHub is an update to this plugin that has some hyphenation changes.

Technical details:
Spoiler:
The hyphenation routine is moved into the Container class (where it belongs, with the other ePub modification routines) and the hyphenator is not used in favour of calibre's internal hyphenator class. The manually-added hyphenation dictionary is no longer used.

Because of the nature of the changes, I'd appreciate it if a couple non-English readers (representing a few different languages) could try out the new code and open issues on GitHub if you encounter hyphenation issues that were not previously present or if hyphenation simply doesn't work for your language. Ideally I'd like a language or two using Latin characters with accents (French, Spanish, etc.), Cyrillic characters (like Russian) and other glyphs (Japanese, Chinese) if hyphenation is normally available for those languages.

New hyphenation idea was a bust, turns out it didn't play nicely with languages using non-Latin characters. So, it's back to the drawing board to see if I can make the current hyphenation code play nicely.

Last edited by jgoguen; 05-03-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #63
skip_sands
Enthusiast
skip_sands began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Kind and gentle people who enjoy testing! Over on GitHub is an update to this plugin that has some hyphenation changes.
With the normal version provided in the beginning of this thread the hyphenation in German didn't work on the Aura HD. I installed the new github compiled plugin. The Kobo Aura HD set to German as the main interface language. With the new plugin the hyphenation does not work either (the kobo does hyphenate sometimes but mostly in odd places for German. And many lines are just stretched to fill the justification setting where I would hyphenate to give it a more clean look.)
I still have a german .dict file in the Plugin Folder. Should I remove it? Anything else I can try?
skip_sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #64
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_sands View Post
I still have a german .dict file in the Plugin Folder. Should I remove it?
That won't matter, the code on Github doesn't even attempt to consider looking for the .dic files.

Is your normal language code de_DE or de_CH? Can you download the appropriate hyphenation dictionary (attached here) and see if it's the same file as the one you have? If not, try the attached file with the current plugin (version 1.2.7) downloaded from within calibre or attached to the first post in this thread. Unzip and name the file hyph.dic and put it in the proper location.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hyph_de_CH.dic.zip (26.7 KB, 717 views)
File Type: zip hyph_de_DE.dic.zip (26.7 KB, 721 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #65
skip_sands
Enthusiast

Quote:
Is your normal language code de_DE or de_CH? Can you download the appropriate hyphenation dictionary (attached here) and see if it's the same file as the one you have? If not, try the attached file with the current plugin (version 1.2.7) downloaded from within calibre or attached to the first post in this thread. Unzip and name the file hyph.hdic and put it in the proper location.
My normal language code should be de_DE. I used that file from your attachement and went back to 1.2.7. That did the trick. Hyphenation is now working.
Strangely however when I add a book now and open it, it shows hyphenated but only to half the page. When I go to Aa and choose Standard and then a Font of my choosing it goes back to full line size. (Hope the attached images show, what I'm getting at.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	105234   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	105235  
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #66
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_sands View Post
Strangely however when I add a book now and open it, it shows hyphenated but only to half the page.
That sounds like bug #36. I'd hoped that I could use internal calibre hyphenation, but it doesn't look like that's going to work if languages with non-Latin characters don't hyphenate.

Looks like I'm going to get to have fun figuring this one out
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #67
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Bit of a weird bug with side loaded kepubs through the plugin - the Aura doesn't remember the exact page after going back to the home screen, throwing you back into the book anywhere from 1 to 15 pages out.

Probably something I've got wrong in the settings, but it happens in every book.
I've noticed this too....
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #68
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I've noticed this too....
Did you look at the known issues in the first post of this thread?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #69
skip_sands
Enthusiast

Quote:
I don't know if this is a plug in or an Aura problem but on the reading stats the number it gives for finishing the current chapter is ridiculously low. Like 3 seconds or 9 seconds. And I've barely started the chapter meaning that there's 44 pages to go. It doesn't seem to get any more accurate as I progress through the chapter either.
For me it's the other way round. The progress bar shows about twice the time I need for reading the book. It goes down while reading but twice as fast. Very strange.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #70
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Did you look at the known issues in the first post of this thread?
I think so, but I will revisit & look for an answer.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #71
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
So, I plugged in my Aura to Calibre today and transferred a few more books. I noticed that this time the books I transferred yesterday it did add the Series metadata to the books loaded onto the Aura from yesterday.

Loaded a few more Calibre books not on the Aura this morning. Ejected device, shut down Calibre, restarted both Calibre and device. Plugged Aura back in, connect to Calibre, did the whole process again two more times. Still no series information on the device after two additional connects to Calibre after the initial transfer. But since the ones from yesterday the series did eventually transfer I'm hopeful that will happen.

Now regarding the Shelves / Collections on the Kobo Aura and Calibre. I can see 4 shelves that are listed on my Aura and when I click on the Device button in Calibre those shelves show in a "Collection" field. I have an added field in Calibre that I added to put "shelf" information for my iBooks program and named it "Genre". How do I connect that "Genre" field in Calibre to the "Collection" field in the device area of Calibre and then get that uploaded onto the Aura as a shelf?
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #72
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Because of the nature of the changes, I'd appreciate it if a couple non-English readers (representing a few different languages) could try out the new code and open issues on GitHub if you encounter hyphenation issues that were not previously present or if hyphenation simply doesn't work for your language. Ideally I'd like a language or two using Latin characters with accents (French, Spanish, etc.), Cyrillic characters (like Russian) and other glyphs (Japanese, Chinese) if hyphenation is normally available for those languages.
I can try French books on the Mini. I'm heading to GitHub to see the details and if I don't understand what to do, I'll report here.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #73
dcamp
dcamp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
I have a problem with the plugin.
When I change the ebook on kobo glo, and I return on the previus ebook, the latter loses the sign.
This happens on all ebook I convert in KEPUB.
What is the problem?
dcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
So, I plugged in my Aura to Calibre today and transferred a few more books. I noticed that this time the books I transferred yesterday it did add the Series metadata to the books loaded onto the Aura from yesterday.

Loaded a few more Calibre books not on the Aura this morning. Ejected device, shut down Calibre, restarted both Calibre and device. Plugged Aura back in, connect to Calibre, did the whole process again two more times. Still no series information on the device after two additional connects to Calibre after the initial transfer. But since the ones from yesterday the series did eventually transfer I'm hopeful that will happen.
This, and shelves, is part of the main Kobo driver. If the book on the device matches a book in the calibre library and the book has a series, it the driver should set the series info on the device at the next connect. If it doesn't, then there is a problem. The most common reason for this is that "Metadata management" on the "Send to books to devices" page of the preferences is not set to automatic. But, if it worked once, that should be OK.

To see what is happening, I need a debug log. Could you:

- Open the driver configuration and put the title of a book that is not getting its series set into the debg title field.
- Restart calibre in debug mode by right-clicking on the preference button and selecting "Restart in debug mode".
- Calibre will close, then restart and display a message about the debug log.
- Connect the device and let calibre do its sync.
- When the sync is finished, close calibre.
- The debug log will be displayed. Post or PM me the log to look at.

Quote:
Now regarding the Shelves / Collections on the Kobo Aura and Calibre. I can see 4 shelves that are listed on my Aura and when I click on the Device button in Calibre those shelves show in a "Collection" field. I have an added field in Calibre that I added to put "shelf" information for my iBooks program and named it "Genre". How do I connect that "Genre" field in Calibre to the "Collection" field in the device area of Calibre and then get that uploaded onto the Aura as a shelf?
Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 for how to do shelves. If there is still a problem, ask away.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #75
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamp View Post
I have a problem with the plugin.
When I change the ebook on kobo glo, and I return on the previus ebook, the latter loses the sign.
This happens on all ebook I convert in KEPUB.
What is the problem?
What do you mean by "loses the sign"? Can you take pictures to show me what you mean?

Tags
error, kobo aura one