Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
there's no fix all occurences of a tag functionality within Calibre? I haven't used it enough to know. If not, it would be a good feature to ask for.
There is. You can rename and delete tags via the tag browser (the left-hand pane). One can merge tags as well as create new ones.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Completely valid, although sometimes misspelled isn't misspelled and the jargon tells us something different. Although, It's hard to discern tagger intent in many cases. It may be better to fix in my opinion than to throw away, there's no fix all occurences of a tag functionality within Calibre? I haven't used it enough to know. If not, it would be a good feature to ask for.

My own tagging is a mess sometimes. Some days I'll be a lumper and some days a splitter. Tags are an evolving beast with me.
Right-Click on a Tag in the Tag browser to see what you can do with a tag
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #18
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Awesome. I really haven't played with Calibre much, then again, I've only had my Kindle for two months as well.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I've found most downloaded tags mostly useless unless a specific book's initial incoming metadata -- usually grabbed from filename rather than internal metadata -- shows an author and title unknown to me and not indicative of genre or subject. In those cases it's often faster to check appropriate reference websites for good data than to download tag metadata just to later discard it. At any rate I examine every book for format quality (and fix if possible, discard if it has major problems) and apply a tag code that rates format quality (_q3 means it's ok, _q4 good, _q0 bad). That plus a general genre tag (sf) and a general type tag (an, col, zine etc) are mostly all I use except in cases where specific info is useful such as a code for what's wrong with the format (deleted after I fix it) that allows me to group books needing format processing together into similar categories to allow bulk processing.

If for some reason I want to see what the library/publisher/somebody tagged that book with, I can always download the tags later. Why should I keep them cluttering up my taglist and db in general when I can always get them from somebody else's database later? I find that I never need to do that.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-29-2011 at 01:41 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I basically delete all downloaded tags (actually now that I know I can do it, I just don't DL tags or ratings).

I prefer to set up custom columns, so I can set the actual sort order of the collections on my PRS-650.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
I also keep social metadata turned off. I don't use downloaded ratings or even the default ratings field which can't usefully be squeezed to smaller horizontal length than 5 stars. I rate my own if necessary, which requires less visual space. I might want to remember what I think about a book, but what others think about it is irrelevant to me.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I basically delete all downloaded tags (actually now that I know I can do it, I just don't DL tags or ratings).
I used to do the same thing but I find the Goodreads metadata for tags to be relatively concise. Out of the box the plugin maps around 60 possible tags that can be downloaded. I have mapped more and have about 230 possible tags for my 8500 book finished library.

I find using this plugin prevents my tags getting out of control and the tags are consistant across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I prefer to set up custom columns, so I can set the actual sort order of the collections on my PRS-650.
What kind of order do you give your collections that require custom columns?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I don't want my Author collections to be alphabetical (typical Sony 650 behavior). For some authors, I put all the books in published order. Others, I group the series and then put them under the Author in those groupings. For Agatha Cristie, I put all the books under Author in the published order, and also put them into the proper series. WEB Griffin, I put all the books in their series order, and then put the series in an order under his Author collection.

I also have a Genre column for books/authors that I don't want a separate collection for. I have Non-Fiction, Aviation, SciFi (for one or two books by an author that I am not that familiar with), and Classics.

And I have recently added a SubSeries column to keep track of those books who are part of a series, but in themselves are also a series. One example is the Moties SubSeries of the CoDominion Series by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

I also do some things like put books under an Author, because they fit there, even with a different Author. Like Alistair MacLean. After his death, several books were written by a few Authors, but they are all based (supposedly) on notes left by Alistair MacLean, so I have then under Alistair MacLean. Similar with Robert Ludlum (later Bourne books and Covert One series).

So I create collections based on my Author column, Series, SubSeries, and Genre.

It works for me.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 PM   #24
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I have extended the manage X dialog (for X in tags, series, publishers, and custom column categories) to show the count of books with that item. The count column is sortable, so you can easily select all items with counts less than/greater than some value, then delete them. The change should be in the next release.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM   #25
Caribous
Caribous began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
My guess: It could be they're looking at fanfiction The tags on AO3, for instance, aren't proper metadata, which is what's wanted - instead they're random comments. Oftern there's more tag data than book/story data, in fact. Also none of my calibre eBooks have Fiction as a tag, for what it's worth. It really depends on what source you have. I also add tags by selecting my regular eBoooks. This is more giving people tools to deal with changing tags vs losing data.
Caribous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 PM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribous View Post
My guess: It could be they're looking at fanfiction
Welcome to Mobileread!
Moderator Notice
I appreciate your enthusiasm to share your thoughts, but in forums dealing with software development and its use, like calibre, providing input on ancient threads usually doesn't help anyone. This is because the software and the internet have changed so much in the intervening years. In the future please avoid responding ancient threads.

Now there are plenty of forums here at Mobileread that deal with books or devices that are truly timeless and jumping on an old thread might make sense. I hope you choose to hang around and continue to share your timely insight with us.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags