Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Cases... again.

My current PRS-T1 case is starting to crack and look awful.
I've looked over a bunch of older threads and a lot of the recommended cases are either from the UK (I'm in the US) or no longer exist.

My current case is identical to this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Colour-Fa...1/122690561261

It has no stylus loop, but it's worn pretty well, is inexpensive and I like it.

Amazon shows something similar: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Case-So.../dp/B00696A9RS
It's 3x more expensive and I know little about it.

I'm open to alternate suggestions or opinions about either of the cases I've linked.

IIRC, the T1 and T2 share a similar profile for cases, but not T3.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
My current PRS-T1 case is starting to crack and look awful.
I've looked over a bunch of older threads and a lot of the recommended cases are either from the UK (I'm in the US) or no longer exist.
I like the original Sony cases. There's a seller in the U.S. who is selling them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Reader...IAAOSwCi9Z1TaE

Actually, there is one cheaper ...

T1 only ... sorry.

The second one is only for the T1. The only difference is that the ones for the T1 or T2 have two button slots, whereas the T1 only has one (since the buttons where in different places).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-20-2018 at 04:41 PM.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
My T1 and T2 both work in the same case. The T3 uses a whole different case.

I also buy my cases from ebay and like the official Sony ones best.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
My T1 and T2 both work in the same case. The T3 uses a whole different case.

I also buy my cases from ebay and like the official Sony ones best.
There were actually two models (two of each, lit and unlit) of cases for the T1 and then the T1/T2.

The PRSA-SC10 was first designed for the T1 (it had one slot "scooped" out of the front, inside cover (for the keys). Then, when the T2 came out, they made a PRSA-SC22 that would work with both (it had two slots "scooped" out of the inside, front cover) so it could handle the keys on either the T2 or T1 (the T2's keys were higher).

In the pictures I have the SC10 first then the SC22 with a T2 installed.

Sony loves initials for model numbers ... PRSA ("personal reading system accessory) SC10 (standard cover 10). The covers with lights were PRSA-CL10 and CL22 (or whatever model they happened to be). "CL" (I'm guessing) stood for "cover with light."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prssa-sc10.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	164583   Click image for larger version

Name:	prsa-sc22.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	164584  
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

My issues with the Sony official covers is that they just felt cheap, like extra firm cardboard, and that you can't bend the front cover behind, so it's awkward to hold with one hand.

I do like the light though.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I bend all my official Sony covers behind. At first they're a little stiff but they loosen up. The T1/T2 cover is actually easier to bend behind than the 600 or 350 covers.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I never had any trouble bending the Sony covers behind. Did have problem with T1 cover coming unglued at the spine and fraying around the edges. T3 cover has started peeling around the edges.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:14 AM   #8
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
If you decide you want to try the official T1 case, I still have mine for sale...brand new, never used: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=295698
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I just bought this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NCO35S/ and I'm really happy with it. (It is the Sony case.) I was worried about the stylus, but I can clip on the inside at the spine, and the cover closes perfectly.

I'm not a bend-the-cover-back reader, so I can't speak to that.

I like that the reader clips in snuggly, instead of having to slide it into some sort of holder, but that is my personal preference and something I specifically seek out for my covers.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
DoctorM
Groupie

I did want to follow up on this.

I ended up buying one of these in brown: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Colour-Fa...1/122690561261
While there are none listed now, the seller may have some available, just ask. I was able to get the brown one while he only had purple left in stock.

My original case was the same but in black, and while it eventually came apart (the 'leather' flaked off over time), it doesn't owe me anything.

The brown one I just bought was $7.45 + $.99 shipping from China... I used an eBay coupon to get $5 off. $3.44 is really cheap.

The stitching is crooked making the reader sit a bit lopsided in the frame unless you move it around a bit. My original one did not have that issue. The seller was quite helpful with a few issues I had and worked quickly to resolve them.

If you're looking for inexpensive, and not cardboard looking, it was definitely worth the price. I also love that you can fold the cover back and put your hand in the strap for serious one handed control.

Edit: Avoid these cases. While I paid little for them, that's what they're worth. The 'leather' cracks quickly and it doesn't take long before these things look awful.

Last edited by DoctorM; 11-05-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Tags
cases, prs-t1, reader, sony