Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2017, 03:55 PM   #106
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Safe for Paperwhite 2 that has not been jailbroken? 5.8.10 firmware?

Also, would this allow me to get my device into diagnostic mode? Or is there an easier way to get there?

Thanks!

Last edited by arooni; 10-23-2017 at 06:43 PM.
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #107
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post

Also, would this allow me to get my device into diagnostic mode? Or is there an easier way to get there?

Thanks!
I don't think you can put any file on your PW2.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #108
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post

Thanks!
It is not a matter of safety, there are no safety related issues.
Nothing that we have will create a safety hazard, require you to sell your first born or cause mutated kittens.

The device must be jail broken to use any of our add-ins, including this one.

You can not jail break firmware version 5.8.10 (on the PW2) unless you do it over the serial port.

The purpose of the Rescue Pack is to allow a person to re-boot the device into the alternative OS ('diags').

Last edited by knc1; 10-23-2017 at 08:44 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #109
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT
Starting with 5.13.x firmware I cannot update both RP and CRP on my kindle voyage. I get the errors "Unable to copy debrick script" and "Unable to copy cowardsdebrick.conf" when installing from mrpackages folder. All other NiLuJe's hacks are updated with no errors.
Thank you.
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 11:04 AM   #110
sgmoore
Enthusiast
sgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfoldedsgmoore reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Voyage
Missing make_mutable and make_immutable

Where can I find make_mutable and make_immutable?

When I tried to install the RescuePack on my Voyage, the installation script failed. The MRInstaller.log shows the following

Code:
system: I rescuepack:install::Copying debrick scripts to main partition

Hu oh... Got return code 1 . . . :(
I think it because I don't have make_mutable or make_immutable.

I connected via SSH and typed the last few commands and used chattr instead of make_mutable / make_immutable and I am now able to enter Diagnostic mode.

However other scripts seem to also use make_mutable and make_immutable, so I would like to have those files so that these scripts worked as shipped.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #111
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It is entirely possible I forgot that the RP/CRP install packages were special snowflakes that don't bundle the usual ota utils library.

I'll double-check next Sunday.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #112
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Verdict: #worksforme

Make sure your JB is sane (i.e., reinstall the latest hotfix and reboot *twice*), and make sure your MRPI is up to date.

And make sure you're using up-to-date packages, as the RP/CRP packages were broken for a while until the 2022/04/30 update.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #113
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I just attempted to install both RP and CRP on my KT4 and MRPI complained that they were not targeted to my device and destroyed them. Do you need to update the packaging? Has there been an underlying change making them incompatible with a KT4?

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #114
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, there's no dedicated diags partition, so that doesn't work.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:15 PM   #115
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep, there's no dedicated diags partition, so that doesn't work.
So I guess having the USB networking package installed and working is the best we can do, correct?

What other preventive measures are available with the later models without the dedicated diags partition?

Dave
Old 08-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #116
NiLuJe
BLAM!

AFAIK, none, unless you can get a serial shell going.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #117
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
AFAIK, none, unless you can get a serial shell going.
Is there an accessible serial port on the KT4? Not that I would want to try it, I am all thumbs and left handed as well.

Dave

PS: just confirmed I have your usb network extension running on the KT4
Old 10-04-2022, 05:46 AM   #118
Lorand
Lorand began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw5
Gives an error when installing, can anyone help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	196980  

Last edited by Lorand; 10-04-2022 at 05:50 AM.
Lorand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #119
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Lorand: Read the error message. RP/CRP supports stopped a few devices ago.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:00 AM   #120
Lorand
Lorand began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw5
@NiLuJe Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I read the message but I didn't know why it was I read everywhere that you should install rp&crp as a precaution. Is there a similar extension for pw5?
Lorand is offline   Reply With Quote