Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
PDF downloads are going away

I was noticing that Kobo is no longer going to be supplying PDF files as of November 1st, 2017. While this affects only 3 of my books and I've already downloaded those, I'm wondering how many people are going to be affected by this decision.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Hmm, does this news indicate Kobo is abandoning any hope of improving the PDF reading experience with subsequent firmware updates?

If so, a strong reason to install KSM/KOReader.
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #3
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Hmm, does this news indicate Kobo is abandoning any hope of improving the PDF reading experience with subsequent firmware updates?

If so, a strong reason to install KSM/KOReader.
The problem is that if Kobo is abandoning PDFs, they have no reason ever to make a a device larger than the Aura One. Which by the way, I would immediately buy. (and I'd argue that half the users here would, as well.)
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was noticing that Kobo is no longer going to be supplying PDF files as of November 1st, 2017. While this affects only 3 of my books and I've already downloaded those, I'm wondering how many people are going to be affected by this decision.
where did you read that?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
The problem is that if Kobo is abandoning PDFs, they have no reason ever to make a a device larger than the Aura One. Which by the way, I would immediately buy. (and I'd argue that half the users here would, as well.)
Comic books/Graphic Novels(which are typically sold as ePUBs and not PDFs on their store). Sideloaded PDFs. People who just want a larger screen for whatever reason.

Not selling PDFs is a different issue from not supporting PDFs. They don't sell CBZ, CBRs either but their devices still read them.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The problem is that if Kobo is abandoning PDFs, they have no reason ever to make a a device larger than the Aura One.
I'd actually say that exactly the opposite would be true. A PDF displays fixed content per page; if you have a larger screen, you see the same page, only larger. If Kobo sell PDFs (and I must admit I wasn't aware that they did!), such PDFs are presumably optimized to display well on the screen sizes on Kobo devices, and nothing would be gained from using a larger screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Quote:
Personally, I'll only upgrade my Aura reader with another Kobo if they release one with both an SD slot and a comfort light. Otherwise I'll wait for a foreign knock-off which offers both of those + Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
where did you read that?
Good question Nate. I'd also like to know the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not selling PDFs is a different issue from not supporting PDFs. They don't sell CBZ, CBRs either but their devices still read them.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If Kobo sell PDFs (and I must admit I wasn't aware that they did!), such PDFs are presumably optimized to display well on the screen sizes on Kobo devices, and nothing would be gained from using a larger screen.
I'm for using the best tool for the job, so for EPUBs I use Kobo stock, and likely to install KOReader for PDF/CBZ. With stock and custom firmware optimized to take advantage of the full-width of the display, my 6" Aura should be sufficient for years to come displaying any supported format comfortably.
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If Kobo sell PDFs (and I must admit I wasn't aware that they did!), such PDFs are presumably optimized to display well on the screen sizes on Kobo devices, and nothing would be gained from using a larger screen.
The rare PDF I've seen from Kobo isn't specially formatted for smaller screens, but a standard PDF like many publishers used to sell (& some still do). Basically the print pre-press file with crop marks & stuff removed. That's been my experience anyway.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
where did you read that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Good question Nate. I'd also like to know the source.
The source? Looking at My Books on the Kobo website. I've attached the notice I see to this message.

I will admit that I am now curious as to how many others are seeing this notice. Would seeing this notice require having a pdf in your library?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no_pdfs.png
Views:	300
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	158225  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The source? Looking at My Library on the Kobo website. I've attached the notice I see to this message.

I will admit that I am now curious as to how many others are seeing this notice. Would seeing this notice require having a pdf in your library?
Given the wording of the message, that seems likely. I don't see that message, but I've never bought a PDF from Kobo.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
That's the message I got last night when I went to download a new book (epub) I'd just bought. And I buy ONLY epubs at Kobo. However it's possible some of the many freebies I've gotten there have been pdf-only books. Unusual, but it sometimes happens. I'll have to go thru my library & check.

Hmm ... looks like so far my only Kobo .pdf is the manual for my ereader. Does this mean they're gonna do epubs of those now? Hope so, I really hate bloody pdfs!

Last edited by Byrdie; 08-02-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I see it and have one (maybe more?) PDF in my library. You also get the same message in the download pop-up when going to download the PDF book...
Quote:
Download this file?

To read this file on your eReader, download and install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer, then connect your eReader to your computer.
Export this file to your eReader with ADE, and then find it in your Library.
Important update

Beginning November 1st, Kobo will no longer make your eBooks in PDF format available for download.
We'll do our best to replace your PDF books with their equivalent EPUBs, but it is possible that some cannot be replaced.
We'll let you know by email which books we can't replace. You'll need to download these books before November 1st to continue enjoying them.
They have the book that's in my library for sale as an ePub from the same publisher so we'll see if it gets "converted".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I recall one of the freebies I got being a PDF and I do see this message.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The source? Looking at My Books on the Kobo website. I've attached the notice I see to this message.

thank you

I can see it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 AM   #15
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
eBooks.com still supports PDF

eBooks.com still supports PDF and EPUB formats, for these reasons. In summary: a) some smaller publishers still aren't equipped to deliver EPUB, and b) some books are much better suited to PDF than EPUB.
Stephen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote