Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #106
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano.sb View Post
Hi, I installed Send to Kindle app (ver. 1.1.1.253) on my Windows 10 but if I try
to send to my kindle an epub file (converted from MOBI with Calibre) it returns this message: "The file type is not supported" (see attached image)
That app has not yet been updated to support EPUB files. You can make it work by changing the file name externsion from .epub to a supported format such as .jpg and using that.

Quote:
If I send an epub by e-mail it simple disappears!. I haven't it on my kindle (PW5 with 5.15.1 fw) and I haven't any return email with error message..
Did you add your sending email address to the allowed sender's list for your Amazon account?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #107
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That app has not yet been updated to support EPUB files. You can make it work by changing the file name externsion from .epub to a supported format such as .jpg and using that.
Ok

Quote:
Did you add your sending email address to the allowed sender's list for your Amazon account?
Yes, it works if I send a MOBI file from the same email address

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #108
Artik
Artik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Just to add to the shared experience, I'm also experiencing "filename as title, unknown as author" when sending mobi or epub to Amazon (manually from Gmail via free.kindle.com, both books converted in Calibre and freshly purchased from third parties)
Artik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #109
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

I don’t know why but I can’t send to my kindle (PW5 fw 5.15.1 with jailbreak) any files other than MOBI. I try with EPUB and TXT but the files simple desappears. I used an email address inserted in the allowed sender’s list for my Amazon account. I have no any email with error message message fron Amazon…

Stefano
Old 10-16-2022, 05:34 PM   #110
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
I don’t know why but I can’t send to my kindle (PW5 fw 5.15.1 with jailbreak) any files other than MOBI. I try with EPUB and TXT but the files simple desappears. I used an email address inserted in the allowed sender’s list for my Amazon account. I have no any email with error message message fron Amazon…

Stefano
How are you sending the files? Email? Calibre's email option? Can you see the files/documents on your Amazon account using a browser? Under contents and devices.

Also, have you tried opening the epub files using Kindle Previewer to make sure they're following Amazon's requirements.

You could also try using the Send to Kindle app for pc.

This only happened to me twice. But that's because I was sending a lot of books at once so their system might have just timed out on me.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 03:51 AM   #111
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
How are you sending the files? Email? Calibre's email option? Can you see the files/documents on your Amazon account using a browser? Under contents and devices.

Also, have you tried opening the epub files using Kindle Previewer to make sure they're following Amazon's requirements.

You could also try using the Send to Kindle app for pc.

This only happened to me twice. But that's because I was sending a lot of books at once so their system might have just timed out on me.
Hi, thanks for the answer :-) I converted into epub every files with Calibre and after I opened them correctly with Kindle Previewer.

I can't sent them using my @kindle e-mail from my e-mail client. It works if I use Send to Kindle app (I renamed the .epub file into .jpg) or using "Email to" function in Calibre (with the same e-mail address). In both cases, both the cover and the author's name worked!!

Stefano
Old 10-17-2022, 03:53 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusJ View Post
You need to re-convert the EPUB using UTF-8.

Convert -> Look and feel -> Text -> Input character encoding: utf-8
IMHO, that's not a good idea.

The better solution is to install the Modify ePub plugin and use that to make sure the ePub is in UTF-8. Doing so does not do any sort of conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:22 AM   #113
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the answer :-) I converted into epub every files with Calibre and after I opened them correctly with Kindle Previewer.

I can't sent them using my @kindle e-mail from my e-mail client. It works if I use Send to Kindle app (I renamed the .epub file into .jpg) or using "Email to" function in Calibre (with the same e-mail address). In both cases, both the cover and the author's name worked!!

Stefano
... another test: It works (both cover and author's name) also if I send an epub (that I always converted with Calibre) from a simple email client but using the same email address configured in Calibre...

So... it's ok but... is there no more problem with author = unknown also without using Send to Kindle app?

Stefano
Old 10-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #114
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
... another test: It works (both cover and author's name) also if I send an epub (that I always converted with Calibre) from a simple email client but using the same email address configured in Calibre...

So... it's ok but... is there no more problem with author = unknown also without using Send to Kindle app?

Stefano
As of now, the unknown author bug is fixed. But that will still depend on Amazon if it stays fixed or not.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:33 PM   #115
stefano.sb
Zealot

Thumbs up

Quote:
As of now, the unknown author bug is fixed. But that will still depend on Amazon if it stays fixed or not.
Unfortunately it is true .. with each release there is something new .. and something else that is broken

But now I notice that the author name is taken from metadata. I sent another epub file using email and its name contained only the book title (it was not into "[Title] - [author name].epub")

Stefano
Old 10-20-2022, 09:18 PM   #116
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
Thanks! Turns out, the Oasis and Kindle 10th Gen. CAN be updated to 5.15.1, but they hadn't. They had updated recently, after I hadn't used them for a while, pulled them out, charged them, and connected to wi-fi. But they didn't update to 5.15.1. I've updated them manually, and the covers work!
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize a firmware update was available for the Oasis. When I connect to wifi it's not automatically seeing the available update. After reading your post, I manually updated mine.
A Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:21 PM   #117
A Lurker
Connoisseur
A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.A Lurker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I just sent several new documents. The covers and author names are displaying correctly, but the book title is the file name. Is there a workaround for this? I suppose I could reman the files to match the book titles, but most of the them have colons, which won't work in a file name.

EDIT: I'd sent these documents via email. I've subsequently gone back and deleted them. Then I changed their file extensions to .mobi and re-sent them with the Send to Kindle PC app. This result was better, but still not perfect. It pulled the title from the metadata, rather than the file name, but it converted all of my colons to underscores.

By the way, Amazon's website says: "Beginning in late 2022, Send to Kindle applications will support EPUB (.EPUB) format." I know there's a workaround (changing the file extension to a supported file format), but it will be nice if Amazon follows through on this promise.

See: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...WYD9SAF7PGXRNA

Last edited by A Lurker; 10-20-2022 at 09:58 PM.
A Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote