Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
twistedprs600
twistedprs600 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Unhappy brand new and big problem ?

i just ( few hours ago ) got my new prs-600 out the box plugged it into my laptop and waited for it to connect to the computer ...... 4 hours later and it still wont do any thing

ive tried unplugging it turning it on and waiting ( bout 20 mins with the light on ) ... nothing

ive tried connecting it with the light on ..... nothing

resetting it, connecting it .... nothing

i have no idea what to do ?

i plug it into the usb and the red light comes on but thats it, if i turn it on ( not connected ) the light comes on but the screen stays blank

any help would be great as this is my second psr600 in 3 days first one turned on connected to usb then did nothing every again ( even after 4 hour + charge )
twistedprs600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If the 600 doesn't have enough power, it may not work when plugged into the USB port. What you'll want to try is getting a Sony AC adapter or a PSP adapter (with the barrel type plug) and try giving it a charge. With the AC Adapter plugged in, you can use the USB at the same time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
It seems that almost all Sony problems may stem from insufficient power. As suggested, get a wall charger and let is sit and charge overnight. (Normally it only takes 3-4 hours to charge.) If this clears up your issues, know that the reader will need to FULLY charge 3 to 4 times to get the battery conditioned and up to full potential. When I first got my Sony, the battery would only last a few days. After 3-4 charges, it now lasts a week to ten days or more.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Just wondering, was your laptop powered on before connecting PRS-600 to USB?
was your laptop kept powered on while charging?
was the charge indicator illuminating in red during charge?
did the charge indicator turn off automatically after about 4 hours of charging?

That's what the quick start guide says and if your answers are all 'yes' to above questions, you should not have a problem unless the product is defective.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #5
twistedpsr600
twistedpsr600 began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
yes to all those question except the red light, it came on then after a while ( not sure how long) it seems to turn to green but the reader does nothing

going to get hold of a psp charger and see if that will help

how long should i charge it for 4 hours? then try again

i really hope its not defective because like i said this will be my second in a few days
twistedpsr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedpsr600 View Post
yes to all those question except the red light, it came on then after a while ( not sure how long) it seems to turn to green but the reader does nothing

going to get hold of a psp charger and see if that will help

how long should i charge it for 4 hours? then try again

i really hope its not defective because like i said this will be my second in a few days
If your laptop went into 'sleep' mode while you were connected to the reader, the charging might stop. That has happened to several folks here. The computer turned itself off after 20 minutes of inactivity so their readers really only charged for 20 minutes.

Let the reader charge overnight. It really needs that initial power soak. Overnight should be more than sufficient. Four hours will work AFTER the battery has conditioned itself. But initially, a good long charge on a wall charger should fix most problems.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
twistedprs600

so i got a psp charger yesterday and charge it over night but noticed that the red light doesnt appear ..... this cant be normal ?

all i get is a continues orange light or no light ?

even tried ac adapter and usb at the same time and nothing
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
twistedpsr600

any ideas? the charger is fine and charges my camera fine but still no red light on my psr600 and when i turn it on i still only get an orange light

i have no idea what to do .....
Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

blinking orange light means internal memory access. If the screen says 'opening book' means it is booting up. Give about 30 seconds for boot-up and initial setting screen will show up. Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the initial setting.
Also, do not connect ac adapter and usb at the same time because the Reader may ignore the ac adapter connection.

Just wondering, have you read the quick start guide?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
twistedprs600

yes i've read the quick start guide

just a solid orange light nothing on the screen

reader is turned on but orange light and does nothing, currently just plugged in to the laptop ( as it says to do in the quick start) and nothing going to leave it for a while an see what happens

reading around i think the red light isnt on because the reader is fully charged ?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedpsr600 View Post
any ideas? the charger is fine and charges my camera fine but still no red light on my psr600 and when i turn it on i still only get an orange light

i have no idea what to do .....
Just curious, what kind of camera charges from the barrel-shaped (usually yellow) end of a PSP charger?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #12
twistedprs600

the kodak md1063 has the same barrel connection

15 mins of being connected to a pc and still the same orange light and no connection or screen turned on
Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
twistedprs600

so this is 45mins of plugged in and still nothing

blank screen and solid orange light

any help ?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedprs600 View Post
so this is 45mins of plugged in and still nothing

blank screen and solid orange light

any help ?
poke reset hole with the supplied stylus.
wait for 5 seconds and then
slide and release the power button
plug the ac adapter only and wait for 5 minutes
while plugged, check if the charge indicator turns to red.
charge and don't do anything until the red light turns off automatically.
if this does not solve your problem, contact customer support.
hope this works.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
twistedpsr600

thats what i have done tried to turn it on and just get a solid orange light

getting a refund today, its probably bad luck but 2 failing on me have left me with no faith in sony .... time for a kindle i think