Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #16
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaan View Post
Actually it does.
If you believe in the supply and demand theory, there is now a lower demand of paper. That means there are less need for trees to be cut down, that there would have been if the 100.000 ebooks had been sold as paper books.
I'm with Ahi on this, if they went in expecting it to be business as usual, then they had already cut down the trees, made the paper, printed and bound the extra books, and will just sit on them till they sell. It'll be a long time before reduced paper demand via a change in book sales actually effects paper output. Books aren't the only destination for paper anyway.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I'm with Ahi on this, if they went in expecting it to be business as usual, then they had already cut down the trees, made the paper, printed and bound the extra books, and will just sit on them till they sell. It'll be a long time before reduced paper demand via a change in book sales actually effects paper output. Books aren't the only destination for paper anyway.
Paper isn't destroying the rain forest anyway. Paper is not lumber. I know paper mills that are totally self sustaining with their own forest they harvest and replant every 20 years. You don't need big trees for paper.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
100000 ebooks sold? Nice number, specially if we consider how the ebook can be easily pirated.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Paper isn't destroying the rain forest anyway. Paper is not lumber. I know paper mills that are totally self sustaining with their own forest they harvest and replant every 20 years. You don't need big trees for paper.

Dale
Yeah, I don't think paper is a huge issue on that front. Especially if people were more diligent in not wasting paper and recycling every thing they can.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Egads, you people are so picky....

Anyway, the Green Press Initiative and The Book Industry Study Group did a big environmental impact study. A precis is here: http://www.ecolibris.net/book_industry_footprint.asp

Salient points include that the sources of paper for books do include endangered forests and rainforests; recycled paper use for US books in '06 was somewhere around 5%; close to 1 billion books were unsold in 06, and not all of that was recycled; and the US book industry alone uses 1.5 million metric tons of paper per year. Don't kid yourself, the paper book industry has a huge environmental impact.

100k books is a small drop in the bucket, but every drop helps.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
So the 100,000 is US or maybe all of N. America right? Any numbers for elsewhere been seen yet?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #22
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I dont really see any big loss for the publlisher to sell ebook at the same time as hardcover, the cost for selling a ebook is minimal and a hardcover does cost some to produce. And the publisher could sell their ebook without any middle hand if they want and getting a higher profit.

It will also prob make alot of those who wait for the pocket version to buy the book now, and money now is allways better than money later.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 AM   #23
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
I'm sure the fact that Demonoid is down must of helped boost sales
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I finished the book last night. Enjoyed it very much. Not great literature, but a fun read, and I learned all sorts of interesting trivia from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #25
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I checked it out digitally from the library. Didn't cost me a cent. Haven't read it yet, may not.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #26
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
I'm sure the fact that Demonoid is down must of helped boost sales
not true...just google and see the results...many many trees are saved
ha more green!

I prefer more green trees than Dan Brown crap.

google using this code :

"file_I_want" intext:rapidshare.com/files

Last edited by Spectrum; 09-23-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #27
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I would think the publishers should be more gungho on ebooks since they effectively limit the secondary market, where they lose a lot of money. They are also much cheaper to distribute. At the end of the day, I think they might even make more money on the $9.99 ebook version. I'm not sure about the used book market..but I wouldn't be surprised if on average each book is read by more than 2 people by the end of its life, considering that each book can be resold or borrowed multiple times.

My feeling is that the real reason why the publishers are hesitant about ebooks is that they lose control of the medium. Fastward 10 years when ebooks are mainstream....does a Dan Brown need a publisher as much? He will but he'll be able to get a fatter slice of the profit.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #28
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I would think the publishers should be more gungho on ebooks since they effectively limit the secondary market....
IMO that's a minor concern. Sellers get peanuts for used books, so there isn't much incentive to sell, except maybe in higher ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot
At the end of the day, I think they might even make more money on the $9.99 ebook version.
Maybe, but not necessarily. They are charging the same wholesale prices for ebooks as the paper equivalent, but it is likely that won't last. It is unclear if consumers will keep their book expenditures constant -- e.g. you currently spend $20/month on paper books, and would also spend $20/month on ebooks -- or if they would just buy the same number of books, and spend their money elsewhere. Plus, it erodes the perceived value of their products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot
My feeling is that the real reason why the publishers are hesitant about ebooks is that they lose control of the medium. Fastward 10 years when ebooks are mainstream....does a Dan Brown need a publisher as much?
Probably. Writers do not necessarily excel at editing, accounting, business management, marketing, typography, graphic design, illustration, data management, cover design, legal oversight, fact checking, international rights management, negotiations with retailers etc. There are a lot of non-writing skills that go into a successful book.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #29
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The higher education area is one spot I am really surprised that they aren't pushing ebooks harder. I am in the library of my university now, and someone was asking me about my reader because he was wanting one for classes, but he hated how the price scheme and DRM was. The ones with timed expiration were a huge turn off for him. It just isn't worth it to buy ebooks right now in that area.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #30
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Which, of course, doesn't mean that they weren't cut down. It just means that the resulting paper hasn't been put to good use yet... if even that.

- Ahi
Are you in woodcutting business now or something? Where all this inside knowledge comes from?

Last edited by dmikov; 09-24-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Removed personal comments about annoying troll
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote