Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Extended Warranty

I was just reviewing the extended warranty description for the K2, and noticed an interesting disclaimer. It says: "Full refund allowed within 60-days (provided there has been no claim activity), prorated refund allowed after 60-days. "

What does "prorated" mean in this case? If my K2 breaks after 1 year, 11 months, will I end up paying $287 to get it replaced? If so, that is the worst warranty ever and I'm sorry I bought it.
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
This is a very good question, but is probably best answered by the Amazon kindle support people themselves....go here, click on the "contact me" link at the left, sign in to your account and enter your phone number. someone will call you back within minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200127470
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post
I was just reviewing the extended warranty description for the K2, and noticed an interesting disclaimer. It says: "Full refund allowed within 60-days (provided there has been no claim activity), prorated refund allowed after 60-days. "

What does "prorated" mean in this case? If my K2 breaks after 1 year, 11 months, will I end up paying $287 to get it replaced? If so, that is the worst warranty ever and I'm sorry I bought it.
I believe it means that if you choose not to keep the warranty in the first 60 days of coverage, you can have a full refund of the warranty purchase price, if you have not made any claims. If after 60 days you choose not to keep the warranty, you still receive a refund but it will be prorated based upon how long you've held it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
ruddell
Enthusiast

Ahh - that makes more sense. If that's the case, I'm surprised at the negative comments received by people on the Amazon customer reviews. Most extended warranties are "no returns allowed" on the warranty itself.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
My understanding was if you register it, you receive 1 more year of warranty, isn't it?
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
ruddell
Enthusiast

lovemov: yes, you are correct. Plus you receive 1 free replacement of the kindle if you break it by dropping it, etc. My question was regarding the "prorated" clause of that extended warranty, though.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
lovemov
Enthusiast

Got you. Thanks for the replacement info! Just wonder what they gonna do for an oversea owner though
Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
ruddell
Enthusiast

My guess is say "hmm, you aren't authorize to use the Kindle outside of the US anyway, so go ahead and send it to us and we'll say 'thank you have a nice day'"
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
lovemov
Enthusiast