Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
Quick and Dirty Tic Tac Toe Kindlet - Kind Let Toe

So, this is my first Kindlet.
It allows you to play the popular TicTacToe game against yourself or an human opponent.
I created this mostly for educational purposes and only tested it on the Kindle Touch and would wonder if it would work on any other Kindle without further improvements
(For unknown reasons i used JPanels+MouseListeners instead of JButtons+ActionListeners. I think the Actionlisteners would be more likely to work on the KNT)

I'm planning to go into detail about the development process, but at the moment i only have limited time and my internet will possible be gone for a few weeks in the future, so i will post this now, before i have forgotten everything i have done.

First of all i used the JDK from this site (untrusted source?!) and configured my eclipse to use this JDK (Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Add... and later in the create-project-dialog select the right JRE)

The source .zip file also contains an Applet-class, that can be used to view the Kindlet on your Home-Computer. This was great for testing.
When i was done coding, i exported the Project as a Jar-file (not runnable) out of Eclipse and manually edited the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file to contain
Code:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Main-Class: com.mobileread.mapeper.kindlettoe.KindLetToeKindle
Implementation-Title: Kind Let Toe
Implementation-Version: 0.1
Implementation-Vendor: MaPePeR
Extension-List: SDK
SDK-Extension-Name: com.amazon.kindle.kindlet
SDK-Specification-Version: 2.1
Toolbar-Mode: persistent
Font-Size-Mode: point
(Source)

After that i signed the jar file with an bash script: (also quick and dirty):
Code:
keystorefile=${keystorefile:-"developer.keystore"}
KEYSTORE_PASS=${KEYSTORE_PASS:-"password"}
YOUR_ALIAS=${YOUR_ALIAS:-"test"}
jarsigner -keystore ${keystorefile} -storepass $KEYSTORE_PASS $1 dk$YOUR_ALIAS
jarsigner -keystore ${keystorefile} -storepass $KEYSTORE_PASS $1 di$YOUR_ALIAS
jarsigner -keystore ${keystorefile} -storepass $KEYSTORE_PASS $1 dn$YOUR_ALIAS
i copied the keystore from the ixtab's Font Hack repository: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/ktfontha...loper.keystore
(I also installed this keystore on my device, for more information on how to install a keystore see the Merged Developer Keystore Thread)

finally i renamed the .jar to .azw2 and copyed it to my Kindle documents Folder.

For the sake of file extensions i cannot upload the compiled azw2

Greetings
MaPePeR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-07-23T20_41_55-0159.gif
Views:	368
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	89617  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindLetToe.zip (8.7 KB, 491 views)
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Thanks for adding it to the Kindlet index. Now you have definately earned the 2600 karma upgrade I gave you before.

Thanks!
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
MaPePeR
Connoisseur
MaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughingMaPePeR can shake the floor when laughing

Device: KT
Thanks.
I try to be as useful, as i can, but i still have a lot of work to do and a lot of things to learn

Good Night
MaPePeR

PS: When i have successfully moved to the new flat and got my internet running, i will try to write a more complex post about which problems i encountered and how i solved them.
MaPePeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Nice work! Will surely test it once I can get to it.
Just two minor notes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
Code:
Unless you really need Specification Version 2.1, You should probably use 2.0. 2.1 only works on 5.1.*, while 2.0 also works on 5.0.*. In addition, for 5.0.* you can also completely hide the toolbar:

Code:
<attribute name="Toolbar-Style" value="none"/>
Since the attribute was renamed in 5.1.0, you can even have both at the same time. No, don't ask me why they removed the feature to hide the toolbar in 5.1.0, maybe policy demands that the Store button must be visible at all times.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaPePeR View Post
So, this is my first Kindlet.
It allows you to play the popular TicTacToe game against yourself or an human opponent.
I created this mostly for educational purposes and only tested it on the Kindle Touch and would wonder if it would work on any other Kindle without further improvements
(For unknown reasons i used JPanels+MouseListeners instead of JButtons+ActionListeners. I think the Actionlisteners would be more likely to work on the KNT)

I'm planning to go into detail about the development process, but at the moment i only have limited time and my internet will possible be gone for a few weeks in the future, so i will post this now, before i have forgotten everything i have done.

First of all i used the JDK from this site (untrusted source?!) and configured my eclipse to use this JDK (Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs->Add... and later in the create-project-dialog select the right JRE)

The source .zip file also contains an Applet-class, that can be used to view the Kindlet on your Home-Computer. This was great for testing.
When i was done coding, i exported the Project as a Jar-file (not runnable) out of Eclipse and manually edited the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file to contain
Code:
(Source)

After that i signed the jar file with an bash script: (also quick and dirty):
Code:
keystorefile=${keystorefile:-"developer.keystore"}
KEYSTORE_PASS=${KEYSTORE_PASS:-"password"}
YOUR_ALIAS=${YOUR_ALIAS:-"test"}
jarsigner -keystore ${keystorefile} -storepass $KEYSTORE_PASS $1 dk$YOUR_ALIAS
jarsigner -keystore ${keystorefile} -storepass $KEYSTORE_PASS $1 di$YOUR_ALIAS
jarsigner -keystore ${keystorefile} -storepass $KEYSTORE_PASS $1 dn$YOUR_ALIAS
i copied the keystore from the ixtab's Font Hack repository: https://bitbucket.org/ixtab/ktfontha...loper.keystore
(I also installed this keystore on my device, for more information on how to install a keystore see the Merged Developer Keystore Thread)

finally i renamed the .jar to .azw2 and copyed it to my Kindle documents Folder.

For the sake of file extensions i cannot upload the compiled azw2

Greetings
MaPePeR
If you could upload the azw2 file I will add it to the List of Kindlets thread I maintain on this site. You mentioned you cannot upload it due to a file extension issue, but you could always put the azw2 inside another folder and zip/rar/whatever it. I wouldn't know how to make the azw2 myself using the files in the zip folder you have uploaded above.

Also, you mentioned using the ixtab's Font Hack repository keystore key. Is that also included in the large Merged Keystore one? If not, it should be.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
If you could upload the azw2 file I will add it to the List of Kindlets thread I maintain on this site. You mentioned you cannot upload it due to a file extension issue, but you could always put the azw2 inside another folder and zip/rar/whatever it. I wouldn't know how to make the azw2 myself using the files in the zip folder you have uploaded above.
You could just follow the description

Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Also, you mentioned using the ixtab's Font Hack repository keystore key. Is that also included in the large Merged Keystore one? If not, it should be.
Yes it is. It's using the well-known "test" key which is included in the keystore - and which I recommend that everybody uses, because then we don't need to keep updating that keystore with new certificates.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You could just follow the description

Yes it is. It's using the well-known "test" key which is included in the keystore - and which I recommend that everybody uses, because then we don't need to keep updating that keystore with new certificates.
True, but that means downloading the Java kit, and following those steps above and that keeps me from being lazy and actually having to do something. :P

Thanks. I hear ya. Having one key to do it all and using that one for any and all new kindlets just makes sense and much easier for the masses.

Last edited by inameiname; 08-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
okay so I got my J2sdk from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...4.2_30-sol-JPR

I went with version 1.4.2_19

After realising it was the font declarations for the standard

Spoiler:
Quote:
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaTypewriterOblique.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaSansDemiOblique.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaTypewriterBoldOblique.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaBrightItalic.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaBrightDemiBold.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaSansRegular.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaBrightDemiItalic.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaTypewriterBold.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaSansDemiBold.ttf
/opt/j2sdk1.4.2_17/jre/lib/fonts/LucidaSansOblique.ttf

That were failing to be parsed properly from font.properties (For some crazy reason) I have replaced Eclipse europa with Juno. See how I fare now.

Thanks for the pointers.

(um and yes I also have the 17 version you quoted for good measure)

EDIT: DOH! And still it fails. The fonts are there I checked. Hmm...

Warning: Cannot convert string "-b&h-lucida-medium-r-normal-sans-*-140-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

Blast...

IN OTHER NEWS:
Spoiler:

Personal Basis Profile 1.1 (JSR 217) : an updated specification, based on a subset of J2SE 1.4.2

Reference Implementation:
PBP reference implementation 1.1 corresponding to JSR 217

Finally found it here after a sun - oracle run around http://download.oracle.com/otndocs/j...-oth-ri-JSpec/
perhaps that might helps someone else should they also need it.

(not for this project though)

EDIT:

I still get the warning, but at least it will jar stuff up now. One step further yay.

Last edited by twobob; 09-04-2012 at 10:06 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there any special Gotchas? for a 3.3? thanks? I have the jar outputted for a hello world, signed, renamed and I'm not seeing it. probably peback.

I'll upload the errant jar...

Thanks for your patient attention.

The docs are a little foggy on some things but the info is there if you persist.

In my case I have a weird persistent error but it's related to the IDE far as I can make out. That I can ignore. Cheers.

Hmm. I uploaded an updated effort with the kitchen sink thrown in. still no joy. not wishing to hijack this excellent thread with Kindle 3 noise. I will take this elsewhere in the morning. Thanks : )

EDIT REMOVED VERY BASIC SRC

Last edited by twobob; 09-05-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Are there any special Gotchas? for a 3.3? thanks? I have the jar outputted for a hello world, signed, renamed and I'm not seeing it. probably peback.

I'll upload the errant jar...

Thanks for your patient attention.

The docs are a little foggy on some things but the info is there if you persist.

In my case I have a weird persistent error but it's related to the IDE far as I can make out. That I can ignore. Cheers.

Hmm. I uploaded an updated effort with the kitchen sink thrown in. still no joy. not wishing to hijack this excellent thread with Kindle 3 noise. I will take this elsewhere in the morning. Thanks : )
Not working on the K5 - you're missing some required entries in the Manifest.

Hint: I really, really suggest to use ant to build these packages. You can check the build.xml of any of my projects for examples of how to correctly package and sign things (and for a correct manifest).
Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
twobob

Hokay. Thanks : )

I intentionally left

out as I develop only for a kindle 3.
Are there any special Gotchas? for a 3.3? thanks.
Like for example a difference in the manifests...
All the 3 examples I find just have the entries I posted.

I will resume reading and stop hi-jacking this thread.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
These are (probably) only required on the K5 >= 5.1.0 (and maybe on 4.1x? dunno, don't have one). Note that it's only about saying which Kindlet API is used, and boils down to "com.amazon.kindle.kindlet-Specification-Version=2.1". You could just as well write
Code:
Extension-List: twobob
twobob-Extension-Name: com.amazon.kindle.kindlet
twobob-Specification-Version: 2.1
It's a slightly awkward way of putting things, but it's the way that the manifest format was designed, and there actually is a good reason for doing it this way. Anway, I suggest to put in these entries, but with 2.0 as the version. This way, it should run on any device. These entries are required for some new models, and won't harm old ones.

Quote:
That's (probably) K5-specific and can (probably) be left out.

Note: I'm saying "probably" all the time because I can't speak for models other than the K5. However, the Kindlets I wrote for the K3 (back when I had one) didn't have these entries.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #13
twobob

okay. well since all this info - much of the source info - is now two years out of date, and my best attempts to get "Best in class" examples amount to a handful of lone-wolf projects. I will annotate somewhere - possibly the wiki - my experiences with getting it going under eclipse - on a 3 - as it stands today.

I am assuming the merged keystore now contains the keys on this thread - as it claims to be the test one. (just stating my assumptions) EDIT: You noted that they are above...

Cheers. I'll added them in now. No change. I'll see what else might be amiss - I updated my upload.

EDIT: I used your developer.keystore from your font hack thread, and I'm looking into ant now.

Last edited by twobob; 09-05-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
ixtab
(offline)

Almost. Now you forgot the "twobob-Specification-Version: 2.0", so I still can't open it on the K5.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
twobob

Updated it and shoved the source in for good measure.