Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #16
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I think it might be a variation on tail twister. Torque is sort of twisting. See the second definition below.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...Tail%20Twister
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I think it might be a variation on tail twister. Torque is sort of twisting. See the second definition below.

Yeah, the 2nd definition seems to fit. I've always thought of it as a variant on "chaps my ass," which is similar, and seems to derive from a bad-fitting saddle, chafing or chapping your, well, bum.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Anybody here had any luck in finding something a bit off the beaten path, for color fonts? I'm dying to deply one or two, but I'm hanged if I'm going to upgrade my Adobe apps if I absolutely do not HAVE TO.

Thoughts?

Hitch
From reading through the linked site, support is rather limited. At present it requires macOS 10.14, Windows 10, iOS 12 or newer AND only a limited set of applications. Other and Adobe's newest major CC apps, it seems QuarkXpress 2018 and Firefox are the only cross platform apps with support. MS Edge (the old one on Win10), Safari (macOS 10.14 and iOS12}, Pixelmator (macOS 10.14), Sketch (macOS 10.14), and Affinity Designer (macOS 10.14) all also support them.

Since Win10 and macOS 10.14 have native support at the OS level, if MS Office ever adds support it will be with fonts installed at the OS level rather than any special "private" method.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #19
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
From reading through the linked site, support is rather limited. At present it requires macOS 10.14, Windows 10, iOS 12 or newer AND only a limited set of applications. Other and Adobe's newest major CC apps, it seems QuarkXpress 2018 and Firefox are the only cross platform apps with support. MS Edge (the old one on Win10), Safari (macOS 10.14 and iOS12}, Pixelmator (macOS 10.14), Sketch (macOS 10.14), and Affinity Designer (macOS 10.14) all also support them.

Since Win10 and macOS 10.14 have native support at the OS level, if MS Office ever adds support it will be with fonts installed at the OS level rather than any special "private" method.
Yup, that's my take, too. RATS. I really wanted to be wrong, dammit.

MS says that it's adding support for these, btw.

Hitch
Old 05-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #20
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Ok
Quote:
Well, in the US, it's normally "torqued my ass," but I was making it a bit more family-friendly. It means, aggravated me or got on my nerves in a major way. I have NO idea of the genesis or etymology of it, though. Couldn't even tell you how long I've said it, but certainly decades at least. ;-) Happy to help with quaint sayings from our neck of the woods!

Hitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post

Quote:
Yeah, the 2nd definition seems to fit. I've always thought of it as a variant on "chaps my ass," which is similar, and seems to derive from a bad-fitting saddle, chafing or chapping your, well, bum.

Hitch
Thank you both. I'm still not sure I fully understand it but it's still good. Love these regional sayings

Please now resume your scheduled font discussion.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 05-21-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Perhaps there is something that could be done with https://github.com/zhm/symbola/blob/master/README.md. There is also http://zhm.github.io/symbola/ for some SVG fonts.

It is not directly the same but something to start with perhaps.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Perhaps there is something that could be done with https://github.com/zhm/symbola/blob/master/README.md. There is also http://zhm.github.io/symbola/ for some SVG fonts.

It is not directly the same but something to start with perhaps.
As I understand it, Symbola works the same way as the color fonts. They are all, I think, this "open type-SVG fonts." Hmph.

There's another piece of software that's used to create these colored fonts; I confess, I hadn't gone that route yet, because I wanted to be your basic consumer--you know, toaster girl. Plug and play. Not, "buy this and then have to spent a zillion bucks or hours of brainpower to make it work"-girl. (sigh). Why can't I ever like simple stuff that "just works?"

/grumble.

P.S.: Bilbo, you are most welcome. I try to stay pretty vanilla with my deployment of language and phrasing, particularly since this is an international forum, and "family-friendly," but there are many colorful turns of phrase over here on our side of the big pond. :-)

Hitch
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Nuttin'. Just as black as it is if I use it as a regular font. I admit, if there's some additional step to install the font "into Word," I don't know what that is.
With a document open, File->Options->Save->Embed fonts in the file, its at the bottom of the pile. But I doubt it'll do as you want.

Torque - twisting force, as in torque wrench, in this a context a euphemism for screw, y'all know the rest.

Also a rigid neck decoration, worn by pagan priestesses, this should be spelt as 'torc', but in fiction it's often spelt with 'que' which makes one wonder if writers/editors think they were an instrument of torture.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
With a document open, File->Options->Save->Embed fonts in the file, its at the bottom of the pile. But I doubt it'll do as you want.

Torque - twisting force, as in torque wrench, in this a context a euphemism for screw, y'all know the rest.

Also a rigid neck decoration, worn by pagan priestesses, this should be spelt as 'torc', but in fiction it's often spelt with 'que' which makes one wonder if writers/editors think they were an instrument of torture.

BR
Red: thanks for the note, but of course, I already know how to do that. That's embedding fonts, not installing them "into" Word. I was able to access the Popsky font via WordArt, and it did bupkus. Just as if I simply opened up a document and started typing. Nix, nein, nada. I thought that perhaps someone meant something else, but they really just meant installing it as a Windows system font, which, naturally, I'd already done.

No, if I read some writer that writes "torc" as "torque," I stop reading. Not gonna support illiterate authors.

And nope, embedding the font into Word does not work. Or MS Publisher, or anything else. I have the Popsky font as graphics/SVG, and of course, I can lay it out that way, but...well, I don't wanna. MS says that they'll be supporting this type of font "soon," but, who knows what that means?

Thanks anyway!

Hitch
Old 05-22-2019, 12:46 AM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I don't know what version of Word you have (mine's ancient) but can you get any of the WordArt to work? I've just tried mine with fonts I already have which work in Word. Click the WordArt icon, choose a WordArt style and font type (I went with Sylfaen) then type in the box, click OK.
Depending on the style you chose (make sure it's colourful) you should see a pretty font on the screen.

If this works, but the fonts from the linked site don't then the fault is probably with those fonts. Try choosing fonts from elsewhere.

As for Adobe, I know nothing about it.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:29 AM   #26
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
RE: “torque”
In my neck of the woods (Wisconsin, Minnesota), we said “torqued my jaws” --- meaning it tightened my jaw or made me grind my teeth.

FWIW
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
MS says that they'll be supporting this type of font "soon," but, who knows what that means?
Hopefully, it means after they've rectified recently introduced bugs - like typing over highlighted text and losing the highlight colour.

I thought that File->Options... hint might be off target. But they move things, I went looking for an arcane Outlook feature the other day, I'm sure it had been moved.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I don't know what version of Word you have (mine's ancient) but can you get any of the WordArt to work? I've just tried mine with fonts I already have which work in Word. Click the WordArt icon, choose a WordArt style and font type (I went with Sylfaen) then type in the box, click OK.
Depending on the style you chose (make sure it's colourful) you should see a pretty font on the screen.

If this works, but the fonts from the linked site don't then the fault is probably with those fonts. Try choosing fonts from elsewhere.

As for Adobe, I know nothing about it.
No, the fonts are special. they're not 'wrong' or broken, they're a newer type of font. That's why they aren't generally supported. To be fair to them, it's not really their fault. I'm whinging because I don't' want to cave into adobe. :-)

I freely admit I don't really "use" Word Art, but in playing with it, yes, of course, I can get it to work. I have better software for that sort of thing, but it was a good idea for me to double-check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
RE: “torque”
In my neck of the woods (Wisconsin, Minnesota), we said “torqued my jaws” --- meaning it tightened my jaw or made me grind my teeth.

FWIW
Yes, exactly, that's what it means. To tighten or twist something, to add pressure. :-) I use it in lieu--in my colloquialism--to mean something along those lines--chapped my ass, twisted my knickers, y'know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hopefully, it means after they've rectified recently introduced bugs - like typing over highlighted text and losing the highlight colour.

I thought that File->Options... hint might be off target. But they move things, I went looking for an arcane Outlook feature the other day, I'm sure it had been moved.

BR
Yeah. Rats. I really want to use 3 different colored fonts for handouts for the biz, "how-tos," oru new UberQ document (Uber FAQ, in print, 'cuz, does ANYONE read the one online? They do not...) and the like, so...I guess I'll have to bite the **&^%$#@ bullet with Adobe. Granted, it's time and then some, but still. I'm still torqued about their cavalier behavior around that Master Collection, damn their eyes.

(And before anyone asks, no, it's not simply adding a single color to an existing font, but thanks anyway--I had someone else suggest that, as if I didn't know how to change font colors. Lawdy...)

Rats, I really thought that the resident brain trust here woulda found a way to work around this, dangit. But I appreciate all the efforts!

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 05-22-2019 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typos; hit submit instead of preview, DUH.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:52 PM   #29
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
I'm still torqued about their cavalier behavior around that Master Collection, damn their eyes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

the sunk cost is not a precise quantity, but an economic term for a sum paid, in the past, which is no longer relevant to decisions about the future
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
No, the fonts are special. they're not 'wrong' or broken, they're a newer type of font. That's why they aren't generally supported. To be fair to them, it's not really their fault. I'm whinging because I don't' want to cave into adobe. :-)

Yeah. Rats. I really want to use 3 different colored fonts for handouts for the biz, "how-tos," oru new UberQ document (Uber FAQ, in print, 'cuz, does ANYONE read the one online? They do not...) and the like, so...I guess I'll have to bite the **&^%$#@ bullet with Adobe. Granted, it's time and then some, but still. I'm still torqued about their cavalier behavior around that Master Collection, damn their eyes.

Rats, I really thought that the resident brain trust here woulda found a way to work around this, dangit. But I appreciate all the efforts!

Hitch
I imagine you already looked but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenType#Color_fonts has some information.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 05-22-2019 at 08:07 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote