Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
DuhMe
DuhMe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre & Surface

Hey.. I was given a Windows Surface for my birthday; never used tablet before-apps, etc. I'm used to pcs. I love Calibre! I can't figure how to run it on Surface. It uses Windows RT. Any suggestions?? I've looked around the forums for an answer, and if I've overlooked it, just point me in the right direction! Thanks!
DuhMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It cannot be run on the Windows RT. The Windows version of Calibre only rus on Intel based systems and the RT does not have a suitable processor as it use an ARM processor. This is a general problem with the RT in that it cannot run standard Windows program - they have to be specially compiled for the RT.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not just the processor, IIRC windows RT cannot run win32 programs at all. You have to rewrite the programs to in HTML and javascript.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Correct, Windows RT only allows "Modern" apps.

Think of the Surface RT less like a laptop and more like an iPad. You consume content on an iPad (and Surface RT), you don't create content on it (I consider calibre "content creation" because you're creating a library, converting books, and possibly serving them up). Thus you can consume calibre's output with apps like Freda, but you can't run calibre itself.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surface, windows rt