Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
Xygnis
Xygnis began at the beginning.

Device: None
Google Play books, and Amazon Kindle, no possible e-reader?

I was really really hoping for an e-reader on which I would be able to read books from both Amazon Kindle, and Google Play books, that would also play nicely with Calibre?

My research today and very frustrating attempts mean that I am coming to the conclusion that due to DRM restrictions since ADE 3.0 it will not be possible to manage my Google epubs in Calibre let alone export them to eg a Kobo. I've not even tried with Kindle books.

I'm not asking how to remove the DRM, I'm just wondering if there are any e-readers out there which could do what I want.? <Hopeful>
Xygnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I manage my Google Play books in Calibre all the time and read them on my Kindles. It's still entirely possible as of this moment.

There is no e-ink reader which can read natively both Kindle books and DRM-ed epubs. On some readers with Android OS you can install both Kindle and Google Play apps, but the reading experience is rather poor, or so I've heard. That's because those apps are not optimized for e-ink. So far Calibre and removing DRM is still the best option.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Xygnis

How do you get your Google play books into Calibre?

I'm getting stuck with ADE. I can with a lot of faffing read a book in the latest edition, but am unable to remove the DRM (I believe it is unbreakable since 3.0?)

If I use ADE 2.0.1 then it won't download the books in the first place - is there somewhere I can go to read an idiot's guide?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use ADE 2.0.1 and it's still working perfectly on my new Windows 10 PC.

Does it give you an error message when you try to download? ADE 2.0.1 I mean.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Xygnis

Yes, a couple of different ones. I can't check just now as am out of charge, but thanks very much for your help, and I will be back tomorrow! ��
Old 09-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
Xygnis

@Sirtel I just wanted to thank you again for your help. It must have been some sort of glitch last night as I can now import into Calibre books from Google Play (and with some work this morning) Amazon Kindle
Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

That's good news.