Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 AM   #1
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra & Kindle Paperwhite 11th gen
Question ePub to... ? Best format for Kindle PaperWhite

Hi,

I just switched from Kobo to Kindle. (I'll be receiving my PaperWhite in a few days.)

My Calibre library is all in ePub.

Which format should I convert me ebooks to : mobi, azw3, kfx ?

I knew about the mobi and azw3 format, but not kfx. Which is the best?

I've seen here a plugin kfx output. I installed the KFX Previewer 3. Tried it. Converted one ePub. It resulted in a file 3 times the size... Is it worth it?

I use to have a Kindle, but that was 4 years ago. I need to get back into it!

Thanks.

Last edited by Claude_C; 08-28-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:02 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Azw3 is generally entirely sufficient. If you terribly want enhanced typography and hyphenation, use kfx. Mobi should be avoided. If you want to email your books to your Kindle or use the send-to-kindle app, you should convert to dual mobi, which contains both mobi and azw3. If you plan to sideload your books via USB, azw3 is enough.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Forget mobi except as a last resort. I always use azw3. I don't worry about hyphenation but if I did I would use Hyphenate This! or similar. KFX gives enhanced typesetting but is a very poor format for archiving and conversion, though this probably won't be a concern with your current books in epub. Using another Calibre plugin you can actually unpack an epub from an Amazon azw3 file (without drm of course) without needing to convert.

Try both, see which one you prefer.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Azw3 is generally entirely sufficient. If you terribly want enhanced typography and hyphenation, use kfx. Mobi should be avoided. If you want to email your books to your Kindle or use the send-to-kindle app, you should convert to dual mobi, which contains both mobi and azw3. If you plan to sideload your books via USB, azw3 is enough.
Thanks.

When I had a Kindle, I side loaded my ebooks to the Kindle with the Send to Kindle App. I thought the App used to convert ePub to Kindle format on the fly. Maybe back then or I’m imagining things.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Claude_C
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Forget mobi except as a last resort. I always use azw3. I don't worry about hyphenation but if I did I would use Hyphenate This! or similar. KFX gives enhanced typesetting but is a very poor format for archiving and conversion, though this probably won't be a concern with your current books in epub. Using another Calibre plugin you can actually unpack an epub from an Amazon azw3 file (without drm of course) without needing to convert.

Try both, see which one you prefer.
Thanks.

I’ve seen something about the plugin Hyphenate This! I’ll try it too.

I thought that the KFX plugin output was working like the Kepub output for Kobo, converting on the fly? So, no need to store the KFX file in Calibre?

I’ve read about Enhenced Typography, and I sure would like to experience the best of what my Kindle has to offer. I’m just not sure if reading an azw3 ebook is an as good experience too.

Last edited by Claude_C; 08-28-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Conversion can't gain something (visually) that was not there to begin with, without additional work by the person converting.

AZW3 allowed you to KEEP (over Mobi) most of the features your EPUB had.

What UP converting does, is mostly give you ACCESS to add features that were not available.

So unless you want to edit. EPUB -> AZW3
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
After some testing, even older kindles, such as Keyboard Kindle and K5 work fine with AZW3, so even I am completely switching to AZW3. AZW3 allows some of the newer functions such as greater span of font sizes and bolding at different amounts on newer units.

I do recommend keeping the original epub version until you've actually read a book. Sometimes the conversion isn't quite what you wanted (i.e. lines between paragraphs and no indentation when you wanted no lines between paragraphs and indentation). I have both formats because I still have Nooks which use epub.

Last edited by Tarana; 08-28-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
Claude_C
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Conversion can't gain something (visually) that was not there to begin with, without additional work by the person converting.

AZW3 allowed you to KEEP (over Mobi) most of the features your EPUB had.

What UP converting does, is mostly give you ACCESS to add features that were not available.

So unless you want to edit. EPUB -> AZW3

Seems like great advice!

Thank you for your input.

In that scenario (ePub to Azw3), which would work best : use Send to Kindle App or Calibre send to Device?

Last edited by Claude_C; 08-28-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Seems like great advice!

Thank you for your input.

In that scenario (ePub to Azw3), which would work best : use Send to Kindle App or Calibre send to Device?
You cannot use azw3 with the send-to-kindle app, you have to convert to mobi or dual mobi then. With plain mobi you cannot use the boldness settings or custom fonts on your Paperwhite.

Azw3 works best if you send from Calibre.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Claude_C
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You cannot use azw3 with the send-to-kindle app, you have to convert to mobi or dual mobi then. With plain mobi you cannot use the boldness settings or custom fonts on your Paperwhite.

Azw3 works best if you send from Calibre.

Again, many thanks.

So, for best reading experience : Send Azw3 to Kindle from Calibre or Dual Mobi to Send To Kindle App?

Last edited by Claude_C; 08-28-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Again, many thanks.

So, for best reading experience : Send Azw3 to Kindle from Calibre or Dual Mobi to Send To Kindle App?
Yep.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
Claude_C
Evangelist

So...

I got my Kindle today. After a few tests, I decided to go with the KFX output plugin. I prefer the text to be better justified and hyphenated. And 4 gigs is still a lot of storage.

Strange enough, some converted ePub are smaller in size in KFX. Most are bigger though.

One converted ebook in KFX would not play nice with Amazon's Enhanced Typesetting. But so far, it's the only one.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Enjoy.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote