Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
tinkabelle
tinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
How to read Chinese on kobo glo

I downloaded the fonts simsun.ttf and mingliu.ttf onto the glo. but they do not show up on the Aa font menu. i restarted the ereader, same thing. i have chinese files in both epub and txt format, and neither can be read.

the fonts downloaded are 1kb each. is that too small? if so, then i might not have the right versions of the fonts. is there any way that you have to name them to get them to show on the fonts menu?

i also downloaded 'unifont', 15.5MB which does show on the menu, reads Chinese, except it is unnatural looking, ugly and bolds in all the wrong places.

anyone got any idea what i should do? also, if anyone knows a free and easy to use chinese ebook site, that'd be useful too (once i get the font sorted out).
tinkabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkabelle View Post
I downloaded the fonts simsun.ttf and mingliu.ttf onto the glo. but they do not show up on the Aa font menu. i restarted the ereader, same thing. i have chinese files in both epub and txt format, and neither can be read.

the fonts downloaded are 1kb each. is that too small? if so, then i might not have the right versions of the fonts. is there any way that you have to name them to get them to show on the fonts menu?

i also downloaded 'unifont', 15.5MB which does show on the menu, reads Chinese, except it is unnatural looking, ugly and bolds in all the wrong places.

anyone got any idea what i should do? also, if anyone knows a free and easy to use chinese ebook site, that'd be useful too (once i get the font sorted out).
The font files sizes you mention are way too small. I suspect that if you open them with Notepad, you'd see text such as "File Not Found". When I downloaded simsun.ttf from the FontPalace site, it was around 10MB.

You might also want to check the code2000 font.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
blindman
blindman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkabelle View Post

try use this fonts

http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shar...&uk=2097378757
blindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

Here are the links I use for Asian fonts:

http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_ChineseSimplified.html

http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Chi...aditional.html

You can also use the "droid sans fallback (full)" font: https://github.com/android/platform_...ter/data/fonts

Of course, you can also use, for testing purposes, some copyrighted fonts like Arial Unicode MS.

Hope this helps.

Francois
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
tinkabelle
tinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of lighttinkabelle is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindman View Post
this one works perfectly - i recommend this for anyone trying to read chinese on a kobo.

do away with all that simsun/mingliu crap - there were so many words missing on those - i deleted these fonts.

i found that they only work with epub files, and not txt files. is there a chinese font that works with txt files? not a big deal.
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
tinkabelle

by the way, what are some good sites to download chinese ebooks?