Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #61
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Could you please also email the corresponding Atlantis document (I mean the source document that you tried to save as EPUB) to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com, or attach it to your forum post?
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #62
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
Most probably the problem is that the file of that font has a Chinese name. Atlantis might be unable to retrieve such files from your system.

Could you please tell me its filename?
It's "DFPLiSong-Md091025.ttf".

Here are the source .docx and target .epub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub sample.epub (2.8 KB, 791 views)
File Type: doc sample.doc (12.0 KB, 664 views)

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-26-2009 at 03:22 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #63
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

I guess the cause of the problem is non-English string in font-familiy property. If I select some other font (Chinese font with English font-family name), Atlantis can embed the font into epub.

This is the correct "style.css":
Code:
@font-face{font-family:"Wingdings";font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;src:url(fonts/WINGDING.TTF)}
@font-face{font-family:"iLiHei";font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;src:url(fonts/iLiHei090611.ttf)}
body{margin-left:5%;margin-right:5%;margin-top:5%;margin-bottom:5%}
p{text-indent:0.61in;margin-left:0;line-height:26pt;margin-right:0;margin-top:0;margin-bottom:15pt;font-family:iLiHei;font-size:200%}
.p0{text-indent:0;margin-left:0;line-height:1}
.p2{text-indent:0;margin-left:0;line-height:1;page-break-before:always}
.t0{font-family:Wingdings;font-size:1.27em}
.t1{font-size:1.27em}
.t2{font-family:Wingdings;font-size:1.09em}
.t3{font-size:1.09em}
.t6{font-size:1.09em}
.t7{font-size:1.27em}

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-27-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:38 AM   #64
ericshliao
Guru

Please consider adding a new feature:
An option to generate TOC automatically when creating ebook.

Added:
After another check, I think TOC feature for ebook is already done.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-27-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:40 PM   #65
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I guess the cause of the problem is non-English string in font-familiy property. If I select some other font (Chinese font with English font-family name), Atlantis can embed the font into epub.
First, thanks for the sample files. Yes, the Chinese name of the font (not the name of its file) is the problem. The present version of Atlantis Word Processor does not support fonts with such names. We will certainly look into this. I might post extra information on this issue later (in the next few days, I think). Thanks again.
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #66
awp
Addict

Quote:
Please consider adding a new feature:
An option to generate TOC automatically when creating ebook.

Added:
After another check, I think TOC feature for ebook is already done.
Yes, this feature is explained in the following topic of the Online Help of Atlantis Word Processor:

http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com...html/ebook.htm

Note that you can also have "inline TOCs" in your eBooks. They can be inserted to a source document through the "Insert | Table of Contents..." menu command of Atlantis. The eBook template of Atlantis (it is mentioned in the above Help topic) already includes an "inline TOC".

If you have footnotes and/or endnotes in your source document, Atlantis also saves them to EPUBs.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #67
awp
Addict

Quote:
Just tried the new beta version. The font embedding option does not work. In the created epub file, "style.css" does contain the correct font-family name, but the font file is not copied into the epub file.
This is the "style.css" generated by Atlantis:
Code:
p{text-indent:0.61in;margin-left:0;line-height:24pt;margin-right:0;margin-top:0;margin-bottom:15pt;font-family:華康儷中宋(P);font-size:200%}
.p0{text-indent:0;margin-left:0;line-height:30pt;margin-top:15pt}
.p1{text-indent:0;margin-left:0.33in;line-height:1}
.p3{text-indent:0.61in;margin-left:0;line-height:1}
.t0{font-size:1.27em}
.t1{font-size:1.09em}
.t5{background:yellow}
.t6{font-size:1.09em}
The font-family name is Chinese glyphs.
By the way, I suppose you manually inserted the proper Chinese font name "華康儷中宋(P)" in the CSS file of the EPUB generated by Atlantis. The present version of Atlantis inserts question marks instead. As I said, we will look into this.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #68
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
By the way, I suppose you manually inserted the proper Chinese font name "華康儷中宋(P)" in the CSS file of the EPUB generated by Atlantis. The present version of Atlantis inserts question marks instead. As I said, we will look into this.
I am quite sure that I didn't touch the generated sample epub. I create another sample epub from "sample.doc" using Atlantis, and the "style.css" is:
Code:
p{text-indent:0.61in;margin-left:0;line-height:24pt;margin-right:0;margin-top:0;margin-bottom:9pt;font-family:華康儷中宋(P);font-size:200%}
.p0{text-indent:0;margin-left:0;line-height:30pt;margin-top:9pt}
.p1{text-indent:0;margin-left:0.33in;line-height:1}
.t0{font-size:1.27em}
.t1{font-size:1.09em}
Maybe it's because I am using Windows XP Traditional Chinese version.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-27-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #69
awp
Addict

I cannot explain this. CSS files within EPUBs generated by Atlantis, are always plain text files in ASCII. There could not be Chinese letters.

Maybe this can be reproduced under the Chinese Windows only.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #70
awp
Addict

I have more information on the problem with some Chinese fonts which Atlantis does not embed into EPUBs. The problem (or I would say the limitation) is much wider than just font embedding in EPUBs. Atlantis Word Processor presently does not support fonts with non-Latin face names (no matter the feature of Atlantis). You could not apply such fonts to a text fragment in an Atlantis document through the GUI of Atlantis on an English system. Possibly you can use the "華康儷中宋(P)" font in Atlantis. But most probably this is because you have the Chinese version of Windows.

So the present version of Atlantis Word Processor has a limitation regarding fonts with Chinese face names. Regrettably it will not be lifted soon.

But when I tried to embed Chinese fonts "汉鼎繁古印" and "汉鼎繁琥珀" (they can be freely downloaded from this page: http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/ed...nese_fonts.htm) into a sample EPUB file manually, ADE refused to use them. Even when these fonts are referred via English face names (ie no UTF-8 in CSS). Maybe such fonts are not supported by EPUB readers at all, and embedding them does not make sense? ...

Still about font embedding through the "Save as eBook" command of Atlantis. I can confirm that Chinese fonts with English face names get embedded into EPUBs and displayed by ADE and Sony Reader without a problem. So it seems that a solution at this point is to use fonts with English face names only.

Last edited by awp; 12-28-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #71
ericshliao
Guru

I have one theory to explain why non-latin font-family name raise problem.
Take Chinese true type font for example, I guess its font-family name is stored in Big5 or GB encoding, not Unicode or UTF-8. For Windows XP not supporting Big5 or GB code page internally, it's naturally that these font-family name will result in "????".
I don't have the knowledge to verify my theory, it's just my conjecture.

Some background info:
Big5 encoding scheme is used for Traditional Chinese glypgs, and GB encoding scheme for Simplified Chinese glyphs. The above "華康儷中宋" are Traditional Chinese glyphs, and "汉鼎繁古印" are Simplified Chinese glyphs.

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-29-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #72
ericshliao
Guru

I think the problem is resulted from AWP not taking non-English font-family name when creating epub files.
Many Chinese truetype font have two font names. One is in English and the other is in Chinese. The attached image is an example. If I remove the Chinese font name, AWP can embed the font into epub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Debian5-2009-12-30-08-44-45.png
Views:	875
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	42151  
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #73
awp
Addict

Quote:
I have one theory to explain why non-latin font-family name raise problem.
Take Chinese true type font for example, I guess its font-family name is stored in Big5 or GB encoding, not Unicode or UTF-8. For Windows XP not supporting Big5 or GB code page internally, it's naturally that these font-family name will result in "????".
I don't have the knowledge to verify my theory, it's just my conjecture.

Some background info:
Big5 encoding scheme is used for Traditional Chinese glypgs, and GB encoding scheme for Simplified Chinese glyphs. The above "華康儷中宋" are Traditional Chinese glyphs, and "汉鼎繁古印" are Simplified Chinese glyphs.
This is not simple indeed. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
I think the problem is resulted from AWP not taking non-English font-family name when creating epub files.
Many Chinese truetype font have two font names. One is in English and the other is in Chinese. The attached image is an example. If I remove the Chinese font name, AWP can embed the font into epub.
Yes, most TrueType font files contain multiple NAME tables. A TrueType font can include multiple names in different languages. But only one name is used to refer to a given font through the GDI engine of Windows. When you enumerate installed fonts programmatically through the EnumFontFamilies() or EnumFontFamiliesEx() functions of Windows, only one name is returned per each installed font. Also only one font name is displayed through the various font lists in word processing applications. Even your sample document contains only one name of the font. This name is Chinese. "DFPLiSong-Md" does not seem to be a public name of that font. I am not sure that the font is supposed to be referred through this cryptic English name.

As I said in my previous post, the present version of Atlantis Word Processor has a limitation unrelated to the "Save as eBook/EPUB" feature. Atlantis currently does not support fonts whose (main?) name is non-Latin. Things seems to be trickier under a Chinese Windows. But on an English system, Atlantis cannot use fonts with Chinese names at all. I only get a string of question marks instead of a Chinese font name in Atlantis. Yes, I get questions marks when I open your sample document in Atlantis. I know that you get something else on your Chinese system.

But I have another question. Is it possible to embed a font with a Chinese name into an EPUB manually so that this EPUB displays correctly in ADE and Sony Reader? Have you tried embedding "華康儷中宋(P)" in an EPUB manually (without modifying the TTF file)? If so, did it work?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #74
ericshliao
Guru

Quote:
But I have another question. Is it possible to embed a font with a Chinese name into an EPUB manually so that this EPUB displays correctly in ADE and Sony Reader? Have you tried embedding "華康儷中宋(P)" in an EPUB manually (without modifying the TTF file)? If so, did it work?
Yes. I can embed Chinese TTF (with Chinese font-family name) into epub. Inf fact, it's the only way to display Chinese glyphs in ADE. Chinese glyphs in epub without a embedding font will be "?". Here is an working example:
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family : MyFont;
  font-weight : normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src : url(font.ttf);
}
body{margin-left:5%;margin-right:5%;margin-top:5%;margin-bottom:5%;background:Black;color:white}
p{text-indent:4em;margin-left:0;line-height:26pt;margin-right:0;margin-top:0;margin-bottom:15pt;font-family: MyFont;font-size:150%;line-height: 120%}
.p0{text-indent:0;margin-left:0;line-height:1;page-break-before:always}
.p2{text-indent:-0.31in;margin-left:0.92in}
.p3{text-indent:-0.5in;margin-left:1.11in}
.t0{font-family:Wingdings;font-size:255%}
.t1{font-size:255%}
.t2{font-family:Wingdings;font-size:218%}
.t3{font-size:218%}
.t6{font-family:MyFont}
.t7{text-decoration:line-through}
.t8{font-family:MyFont}
.t9{background:yellow}
.t10{background:yellow}
.t11{font-family:MyFont;background:yellow}
In fact, Chinese font-family name does not matter in this case. I just renamed the filename to "font.ttf“ for simplicity.

The attached image is the result of epub in ADE without embedding font. TOC is ok, but contents is all "?".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE.JPG
Views:	793
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	42152  

Last edited by ericshliao; 12-29-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #75
awp
Addict

Yes, I did exactly the same. But I cannot make ADE use the embedded Chinese fonts "汉鼎繁古印" and "汉鼎繁琥珀". I do not know why ADE does not want to use them (on my English system at least).

You can use any alias name for an embedded font in the CSS file of EPUB indeed. Normally CSS stylesheets are plain text ASCII files. And it is a good idea to use English names for embedded fonts. But theoretically, Chinese characters can be also used if you add the following "at-rule" at the beginning of a CSS file:

Code:
@charset "UTF-8";
But I do not know how many (if any) eBook readers support this rule in CSSs.

Tags
ebook, epub