Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
emanueol
Enthusiast
emanueol doesn't litteremanueol doesn't litter

Device: Huawei Mediapad M5 8" and 10", Boox Onyx Max, Amazon Fire 8HD
Hi all,

Been using caliber in my windows laptop and got cc android in my Android devices working great. I mainly use PDFs and "Moon+ Reader Pro" as client reader.

But.. now I'm thinking buying an iPad (1st time i will have an Apple device) and I'm wondering what i need to sync my caliber library to ipad and best reader in ipad to open my pdfs:
- seems theres/i need to add some caliber plugin in my laptop so it can manage ios devices right?

- Then i guess i need to install in ipad a cc for ios? I wonder if its this the correct one https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sourc...kTy13kVFpySatS

- Finally i need a reader able to open my pdfs in the iPad, any suggestion?
- Also will launch ipad cc first and then 1st time i click read to open a pdf will i be able to select the reader app i want to use? Or will cc ios just used to sync and to read i just launch directly some reader app and somehow will be able to point to the local library of cc ios?

EDIT: As an extra would be great the ipad reader to be able to display 2 pdf pages when using ipad in landscape mode?

Thanks so much, and hope this is the right forum to post thus type of wonderings.
Emanuel Oliveira

Last edited by emanueol; 03-31-2018 at 04:59 PM.
emanueol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
emanueol
Enthusiast

..while waiting for some feedback, I remembered that maybe the title I choose was not the best one.. im more worried wondering about it it works well syncing iPad Pro with my windows laptop running caliber.

Would this link points to the correct ipad app client to connect to my pc ?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cali...171161691?mt=8

Thanks,
Emanuel
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanueol View Post
..while waiting for some feedback, I remembered that maybe the title I choose was not the best one.. im more worried wondering about it it works well syncing iPad Pro with my windows laptop running caliber.
I think it's the subforum of choice that's not getting you any recommendations.

Apple is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=170
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Emanuel,

I'm not an Apple user myself but I believe the ios GoodReader app is a well-regarded PDF reading app.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I think it's the subforum of choice that's not getting you any recommendations.

Apple is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=170
Ok thanks, going to move my question to Apple.
Also changed title from best apple reader app into caliber companion in ipad which is really the most important, than i guess reader is secondary.
Advert
Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok thanks, going to move my question to Apple.
Also changed title from best apple reader app into caliber companion in ipad which is really the most important, than i guess reader is secondary.
Calibre Companion is its own app designed for syncing and organization with Calibre.

If you want actual reader recommendations, I highly suggest you change the thread title on the Apple Devices subforum back to "Best iPad reader for use with Calibre or Calibre Companion"
Old 03-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Calibre Companion is its own app designed for syncing and organization with Calibre.

If you want actual reader recommendations, I highly suggest you change the thread title on the Apple Devices subforum back to "Best iPad reader for use with Calibre or Calibre Companion"
1) Hi ilovejedd and thanks for your help, is the link for the ipad caliber companion app this one ?
Or is there another one ?

2) Also following your recommendation, I duplicated my post into the generic Apple, as Im wondering more how to get my books from my windows caliber laptop into my ipad.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...64#post3674464

3) After knowing how to get my pc books in ipad, than the reader shall not be so hard to find.. i guess/hope, as i dont have special needs with the reader. I will just need a simple PDF reader. Im assuming from the ipad app Caliber Companion it will ask me which reader to use to open my pdfs ?

Thanks so much,
Emanuel

Last edited by emanueol; 03-25-2018 at 08:25 PM. Reason: corrected wrong link (android) as i wanted to ask link for ios app
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

iPad apps are sandboxed. Files in an app stay inside the app unless you export/share them to another app (which just creates a copy of the file inside that other app). iOS doesn't have a user accessible file system like Android or Windows. Calibre Companion is actually unnecessary but can be useful depending on your requirements. I read epub files and I use Marvin. I just use its built-in Dropbox support to transfer files from my PC to Marvin.

Honestly, better to find an app that fits the "reading" portion of your requirements first and then just figure out the best method to transfer files to it later.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #9
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
@emanueol - You probably got some of these suggestions but the below book readers will open pdfs. After that, as @ilovejedd has mentioned, it is up to what features you want in your reader. I only read on iPad/iPhone.
  • iBooks - default app for viewing books on mac devices.
  • Marvin - You can also have two version of this on your iPad if you want. For example you could have one version with only books and the other with comics.
  • Bluefire

I still prefer iBooks for reading ebooks and pdfs (although that may change when they update it to Books). The iBooks also has the added feature that if you also use iBooks on an iPhone and on your Mac it all syncs so you only need to open the file in one of the devices if you have an account. Marvin would be my second choice but it doesn't automatically sync across devices and only syncs the page location.

Quote:
1) Hi ilovejedd and thanks for your help, is the link for the ipad caliber companion app this one ?
Or is there another one ?
If you want to use CC on your iPad, you are correct, and you need to download https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cali...171161691?mt=8 to your iPad through the app store. Note that CC for Apple doesn't have as many features as the Android version.

Quote:
3) After knowing how to get my pc books in ipad, than the reader shall not be so hard to find.. i guess/hope, as i dont have special needs with the reader. I will just need a simple PDF reader. Im assuming from the ipad app Caliber Companion it will ask me which reader to use to open my pdfs ?
You will need to have downloaded the apps to your iPad to give you the choice to open the PDF though. As iBooks will already be there and is the default app for opening books and PDFs, it will already be there so you could use that. But if you would like to use another app, you will need to download it first.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
emanueol
Enthusiast

Thanks Inukami for your insights.

I been using in my android devices (phone and amazon fire 8 hd) an amazing reader app called "Moon+ Reader Pro" which have lots of features, good pdf support (including a very good dual page when you click icon in app to switch between portrait and landscape mode.. Would live to know if this app also exists for iPad?

Now im wondering that getting the iPad Pro 12" could the best option for myfetish desire in reading pdf in dual page ( i mainly have technical programming pdfs as im an oracle database developer).

Thanks
Old 03-31-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Thanks Inukami for your insights.

I been using in my android devices (phone and amazon fire 8 hd) an amazing reader app called "Moon+ Reader Pro" which have lots of features, good pdf support (including a very good dual page when you click icon in app to switch between portrait and landscape mode.. Would live to know if this app also exists for iPad?

Now im wondering that getting the iPad Pro 12" could the best option for myfetish desire in reading pdf in dual page ( i mainly have technical programming pdfs as im an oracle database developer).

Thanks
Unfortunately Moon+ Reader Pro isn't available for the iPad/iPhone/Mac. I have heard good things about this reader but I can't use it unless I switched to android which I won't be doing. I'm all mac and a bit pc. However, there are heaps of different reader apps, depending of what you want/need.

I mainly use an iPad Mini to read with as I find the size and weight perfect for reading novels/books.

Inukami

Last edited by Inukami; 03-31-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #12
emanueol
Enthusiast

Today finally did real field test of using an iPad Pro 12" and iPad Pro 10", where i wanted to feel how is it to read technical PDFs (not simple text, novels or manga..no, im talking technical PDFs which contains lots of tables, graphics etc.) and heres what I felt:

1. iPad Pro 12"
- too heavy for single hand reading experience
- tried some default reader in landscape dual page view and despite it wasnt a PDF (no one in the Apple shop was able or allowed to download apps (like readers etc) which is completely stupid, as I wasn't able to see for real using an iPad Pro as a reader of PDFs.. the one or 2 readers installed were bad at PDFs (continous scrolling mode without a full page of PDF being displayed, both readers not able to display 2 pages of PDf in landscape mode)..
So the test I managed to see of a document dual page view in landscape was not from a PDF.

2. But doesnt matter the dual page view, as it could only be possible interesting in the 12" so I dragged in the reader that was able to open a pdf single page, dragged and holded with finger the pdf page left of ipad pro 12" to simulate a dual pdf page .. but doesnt work.. its still too small. Maybe another reader could render better.. but dont think so, as i hold/zoomed this PDF page to the left with top/bottom margins touching ipad top/bottom edges and it was too small.. again possibly a decent PDF reader could boost text size.. but the incompetents sellers on this apple shop were unable to do or even able to talk about it.

3. the dual pdf page 50% of a test (just 1 page) was just a curiosity.. as i quickly felt it doesnt make sense at least in a single hand reading device..

***so 12" as a reader is not interesting at all.. as screen too big for a single pdf page in portrait mode.

then I moved to the 10" model, didnt even tried the dual page on this one as screen was much smaller than the 12" and again its just a curiosity and not really a critical thing i need the dual page view.

**** Now i felt - again with default 1 or 2 readers installed in ipad pro 10" that single page PDF reading portrait was kinda.. small and this was really my sad surprise.. as I was thinking when I entered shop that the 10" would be my next pdf reader (portrait simple single page)..
But .. again.. employees on this apple premium shop were.. not authorized to install any apps.. so i wasnt able to read PDFs to feel.. so i did the trick of opening the browser and typing a google search that allows us to find files of type PDF (googling for "filetypedf oracle database") i was able to get a technical PDF inside ipad browser.. but was bad experience as this default browser seems only to display PDFs in continous scrolling when i was trying was to see 1 full PDF page at a time..

Finally.. this first time I tried to interact with Apple devices (im a heavy nerd tehcy many years user of windows and Android).. i felt hard to use.

So.. i left the shop more confused than ever.. and im now wondering..
Well I spend after lunch googling for best android, thin 10" tablets..

Since my baseline comparison is my amazon fire 8 HD (8" display) with my Moon+ Plus Pro" reader im able to open my PDFs and they look better then the PDF I was able to read in the ipad at the shop inside the browser, in terms of legibility of text size and so on.

Now what im feeling is, and what I see for real in my amazon fire 8" hd plus moon+ reader, is theres still some good space lost in top and bottom margins.. is i zoom pdf so left/right pdf touch edges of device, i still see a top/bottom gaps..
which make me wonder that i need a device wider.. where i can see 1 pdf page rendered (technical PDF) at full device space.

So im now comparing samsung galaxy s3 10" vs "asus zenpad 3s 10", where similar screens and quality, but samsung s3 seems to have wider screen to it may be better to read my PDFs.. but its the double of price of Zen..

There you go.. my a to z today experienced shared with you guys.. from initially iPad exciting > frustation > switched mindset to android devices > and now latest/current stage Iam is just wondering between 2 android devices again.

What you all think on this saturday novel ? lol
Thanks and look forward to read your toughts.. thanks again.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Honestly, it doesn't make sense that you felt the iPad Pro 10.5 in portrait was small and the text not legible compared to the Fire (both smaller display and lower pixel density). Even with margins cropped on the Fire, PDF displayed on the browser should still be bigger and the built-in PDF renderer should display them quite adequately.

I think your frustration and lack of familiarity with the software might have colored your perception when it came to actual PDF rendering abilities.

Mind, iBooks should've been pre-installed on shop models and it can definitely display PDFs in fullscreen paged mode.

For reference (dimensions calculated from diagonal size and aspect ratio):

Letter
8.5" x 11"

Pro 12.9
7.8" x 10.3"

Pro 10.5
6.3" x 8.4"

iPad 9.7
5.8" x 7.8"

Android 10.1" 1920x1200
5.4" x 8.6"

Android 8.0" 1920x1200
4.2" x 6.8"
Old 03-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

For technical documents, I definitely recommend getting a tablet with 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the more geared towards video 16:10 or 16:9.

Some pics of my iPads taken using an iPhone 7. Note, the images are HUGE.

Image #1: Pro 12.9 in landscape double page
Image #2: Pro 12.9 in portrait single page
Image #3: Pro 12.9 and iPad 9.7 in portrait single page
Image #4: iPad 9.7 in portrait single page

Spoiler:

Old 03-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #15
emanueol
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Unfortunately Moon+ Reader Pro isn't available for the iPad/iPhone/Mac. I have heard good things about this reader but I can't use it unless I switched to android which I won't be doing. I'm all mac and a bit pc. However, there are heaps of different reader apps, depending of what you want/need.

I mainly use an iPad Mini to read with as I find the size and weight perfect for reading novels/books.

Inukami
Oh thanks for confirming that .. oh well.

Tags
caliber, cc calibrecompanion, ios, ios reader applications, ipad