Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Kobo Promo Code Limit?

I decided to use the Kobo Promo Codes twice today to purchase two books.

When I tried to use the promo code a third time, the promo code has mysteriously disappeared under the gift card section.

Is there is time limitation to the Kobo Promo codes?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You mean there wasn't an option to enter a promo code for the book? If so, that isn't uncommon. Some books don't allow them at all and some only allow certain codes. You have to get to the purchase screen to find out.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You mean there wasn't an option to enter a promo code for the book? If so, that isn't uncommon. Some books don't allow them at all and some only allow certain codes. You have to get to the purchase screen to find out.
Yeah, I just figured out that some books do not accept the Kobo Promo Codes - which is really a shame.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Yeah, I just figured out that some books do not accept the Kobo Promo Codes - which is really a shame.

The publishers known as 'the big 6' set the prices of their books.

Penguin
Hatchette
Simon & Schuster
Random House
Macmillan
Harper Collins

The Department of Justice investigated five of them for allegedly colluding to set e-book prices - and things are happening so maybe there will be a change soon.

Last edited by Willa; 06-01-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have not seen any changes in agency pricing in Canada. No cases have gone to court here as far as I know.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Yeah, I ran afoul of that yesterday when I tried to use a coupon on the epub version of Kull: Exile of Atlantis. Then I noticed it was one of the "Evil Six" and gave up. No way am I spending as much for an epub as I did for the original hardcover version, no matter how badly I want to read it. (I still own that copy, btw, but never finished because my eyes got worse; it's been sitting in a cupboard for the last 3 or 4 years.) If I'm lucky, it'll be in the library. If not, no sale from me, not at that price and no coupon allowed.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
also i read somewhere on these forums that if it ends in .49 and .99 its unlikely to accept a promo code...
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first post in the Kobo discount sticky in the deals forum explains all of this pretty well.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
There are a lot of Macmillan books with an agency price of $7.99 that are discounted to $6.90 at Diesel. If Diesel can discount agency prices in the US then why can't Kobo?

There is no agency pricing in some countries, and yet Kobo discount codes don't work on some publisher's books in those countries. E.g. Orion (Hachette) books don't allow discounts in New Zealand. But discounts do work on Orion books in the US, e.g. http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-B...UXQ/page1.html.

It makes me think it has nothing to do with agency pricing, just that some publishers arbirarily refuse to allow Kobo to discount their books in some countries, just as they charge different prices in different countries, or have special offers in some countries and not others.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Publishers have contracts with each vendor independently and they expire at different times. It may be that Kobo has not renegotiated yet.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
The publishers known as 'the big 6' set the prices of their books.

Penguin
Hatchette
Simon & Schuster
Random House
Macmillan
Harper Collins

The Department of Justice investigated five of them for allegedly colluding to set e-book prices - and things are happening so maybe there will be a change soon.
Funny how the books that cannot redeem with a code are in the $20+ range.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Funny how the books that cannot redeem with a code are in the $20+ range.
I recently ordered a book (The Compleat Traveler in Black by John Brunner) and it did not have a promo code option. On the other hand, Kobo's Customer Service was very good about crediting me for the book when it turned out not to be the Compleat version (Compleat has 5 short stories while this edition had the 4 stories from the original Ace 1971 edition). It wasn't quite in the $20+ range but still at the high end of what I will pay for an ebook.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote