Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
ExDC
ExDC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch D01200, WiFi+3G
Question "Unlocked" K5 (WiFi+3G) won't connect to 3G

New to the forum, feeling sheepish but determined to make lemonade out of lemons:
My K5/KT was stolen, and I decided to replace it - so I bought one on eBay. Advertised as WiFi+3G, but "unlocked 3G" - that didn't bother me because I assumed that was like unlocked phones, and I'm used to those. BUT when it arrived...no 3G. (Otherwise, it works fine) Internal Device info says it has WiFi+3G, the SN begins B00F, firmware 5.3.7.3. Model no. is D01200. So it should have 3G, right?
I'm wondering whether the seller had "modified" it. I'm willing to try to put it back together - I used to root my cellphones til they got too smart (I'm great at following directions) - but I don't know where to begin here.
In USB mode, the file directory doesn't look dirty - nothing looks out of line but I don't really know what I'm looking for.

First question is how to tell whether this is a hardware or a software problem. It's possible that there's something less deep that I'm missing. If there's not a setting to tweak somewhere, the next question will be how to apply which fixes I see referred to in this forum...or whether it's hopeless.

I don't want to do anything fancy...no tethering, etc. I just want my 3G back because I like to be independent of WiFi (I used the web browser on my old one all over Europe) At least I didn't pay much - if I just have WiFi, so be it.
But can anyone help (and is this the right place?)
TIA
ExDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It is the correct place.

Have you done the simple things?

Is the 3G card present?
Is the antenna lead fastened?
Does the section of the case which holds the 3G antenna look undisturbed?

If all that seems normal, have you tried a different 3G card?
(Be very careful of the antenna coaxial lead, it is very very easy to kink and thus be destroyed.)

See first post of sticky thread above with "Where do I start?" in its title.
Follow the index levels until you reach links to K5 teardown information.
That will get you inside of the case to inspect things.

What country?
What carriers are available at your location?

And the easiest one: Do you have it set in "Airplane Mode"?

Just exactly what is meant by: "unlocked 3G" in terms of a Kindle?
Normally, everything is proxied by Amazon and there is no (easy) way to do anything about that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
ExDC
ExDC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch D01200, WiFi+3G
Tx for the quick response -the answer to most of your questions is that I haven't opened the thing up. The case looks pristine, so I guess I'm off to the "Where do I start" thread.
To answer the others - I'm in the US, in Chicago, so all major carriers are here. No idea what the seller meant by "unlocked" - that was my first mistake! He has an FPO address so...who knows where this came from. (And "airplane mode"? this one doesn't offer an airplane mode)

After I've explored the innards (maybe just needing another 3G card?) I'll be back. May not get to it for 2 weeks but your comments have given me a lot to work on.
ExDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDC View Post
- - - -
And "airplane mode"? this one doesn't offer an airplane mode)
- - - -
Yes it does, it must, by law.

So having that missing, and the other problem(s) you report leads to:

See the Kubrick sticky?
Download that and run it according to the directions.
Be certain to leave the Kindle on a known good wall charger with a known good USB cable for at least a day before starting the Kubrick process.

Kubrick will completely replace the "main" OS on your K5 with (older) known good firmware. (The 5.* series devices are all dual boot.)
That firmware image is also already jailbroken.

Then go to the device's Amazon page, and follow those directions to update the firmware to the current version.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200790650
The jailbreak should survive, but is easy to replace on the K5 if it does not.

Get within range of an AT&T tower and try 3G again.
You may have just 'fixed' the device.

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It is the correct place.

Have you done the simple things?

Is the 3G card present?
Is the antenna lead fastened?
Does the section of the case which holds the 3G antenna look undisturbed?

If all that seems normal, have you tried a different 3G card?
(Be very careful of the antenna coaxial lead, it is very very easy to kink and thus be destroyed.)

See first post of sticky thread above with "Where do I start?" in its title.
Follow the index levels until you reach links to K5 teardown information.
That will get you inside of the case to inspect things.

What country?
What carriers are available at your location?

And the easiest one: Do you have it set in "Airplane Mode"?

Just exactly what is meant by: "unlocked 3G" in terms of a Kindle?
Normally, everything is proxied by Amazon and there is no (easy) way to do anything about that.
My K5 just says turn on wireless when I tap the menu screen.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
My K5 just says turn on wireless when I tap the menu screen.
IIRC, "wireless" in en_Amazon means the 3g not the Wifi.
but it might mean both.

I do remember for certain that there was something non-obvious about how the controls where labeled.
I am just too lazy to charge one up and check.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
IIRC, "wireless" in en_Amazon means the 3g not the Wifi.
but it might mean both.

I do remember for certain that there was something non-obvious about how the controls where labeled.
I am just too lazy to charge one up and check.
Mine doesn't have 3G. It is charged. Would you like me to check settings?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
No, you would need a 3G+Wifi model.

= = = = =

I had my K5 devices nicely organized, with a sticky note on the back of each describing the device.
I just checked the K5 devices storage, all of the sticky notes have slipped off.

I'll charge the two heaviest ones (those might be the Wifi+3G models).
I have given several away, but I intended to keep at least one of them.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Found one, a model B00F, running 5.3.7.3 firmware.

Home -> Menu -> Turn {on, off} wireless.
Black bar at top of display: icons, right to left -
Time, Battery charge, {Wireless off: blank, Wireless on & in 3G range, a: 3G + 5 dots that can grow bars) -
Note: No Wifi available when I checked the above.

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Device Info
Mac:
Serial: B00F ....
Net: Wifi + 3G
FW: 5.3.7.3
Free: 2.9G

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> WiFi Networks
Available networks: 0

Select
Panel: "Turn on Wireless" (pick: OK)
Pick one of my A.P. -
Panel: "Password Required" (enter: pw)
Choose: "Connect"

Top bar: right to left:
time, battery charge, radiation icon + WiFi legend
(still on 'settings' panel)
Home -> Search for ";711"
The semi-colon is part of the command, the quotes are not.
The report given is two pages, lists only Wifi info, no 3G info.

Home -> Menu -> Turn off Wireless.

On A.P. - Disable Wifi (turn it off).

Home -> Menu -> Turn on Wireless
If the A.P. list comes up, still showing the A.P. that was just turned off - rescan.
Keep re-scanning until the A.P. is no longer listed.

Now when you "Turn on Wireless" - You turn on 3G.

I.E: To use 3G, you must be out of range of all "known" Wifi access points or disable all "known" Wifi access points or delete the credentials for all Wifi A.P.s within range.

= = = =

Now why in the world could I not remember all the steps to that dance?
Note: Where I (and the Kindle) is sitting, I only have 1 bar, but it downloads "Special Offers" just fine (damn it - I would have to find/charge one of the S.O. devices).

= = = =

And the other one is "up"
It is also a B00F, running FW 5.1.0 (much simpler and cleaner interface), without S.O.
My A.P. is still off, so this one is running 3G when I "turn on wireless".

= = = =

So getting 3G to "come up" is a combination of the configuration settings and what networking is available.
If both are available, WiFi is the first (and perhaps the only) choice.

If the O.P. had already set-up and used Wifi -
Then it is certainly easy to mistake 3G as not working.

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Found one, a model B00F, running 5.3.7.3 firmware.

Home -> Menu -> Turn {on, off} wireless.
Black bar at top of display: icons, right to left -
Time, Battery charge, {Wireless off: blank, Wireless on & in 3G range, a: 3G + 5 dots that can grow bars) -
Note: No Wifi available when I checked the above.

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Device Info
Mac:
Serial: B00F ....
Net: Wifi + 3G
FW: 5.3.7.3
Free: 2.9G

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> WiFi Networks
Available networks: 0

Select
Panel: "Turn on Wireless" (pick: OK)
Pick one of my A.P. -
Panel: "Password Required" (enter: pw)
Choose: "Connect"

Top bar: right to left:
time, battery charge, radiation icon + WiFi legend
(still on 'settings' panel)
Home -> Search for ";711"
The semi-colon is part of the command, the quotes are not.
The report given is two pages, lists only Wifi info, no 3G info.

Home -> Menu -> Turn off Wireless.

On A.P. - Disable Wifi (turn it off).

Home -> Menu -> Turn on Wireless
If the A.P. list comes up, still showing the A.P. that was just turned off - rescan.
Keep re-scanning until the A.P. is no longer listed.

Now when you "Turn on Wireless" - You turn on 3G.

I.E: To use 3G, you must be out of range of all "known" Wifi access points or disable all "known" Wifi access points or delete the credentials for all Wifi A.P.s within range.

= = = =

Now why in the world could I not remember all the steps to that dance?
Note: Where I (and the Kindle) is sitting, I only have 1 bar, but it downloads "Special Offers" just fine (damn it - I would have to find/charge one of the S.O. devices).

= = = =

And the other one is "up"
It is also a B00F, running FW 5.1.0 (much simpler and cleaner interface), without S.O.
My A.P. is still off, so this one is running 3G when I "turn on wireless".

= = = =

So getting 3G to "come up" is a combination of the configuration settings and what networking is available.
If both are available, WiFi is the first (and perhaps the only) choice.
Thanks for looking.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for looking.
Do you have the link address of that March, 2016 "Amazon Services Update" ?
I can't seem to find it now.

Or a copy of that update package?

I know this 5.3.7.3 one never got it, it was in storage since before that time.
Although it downloads the "Special Offers" just fine, it can not connect to the store (not that I mind, but still ...).
Old 06-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Here you go.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202048000
They moved the updates to the bottom of the page.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Here you go.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202048000
They moved the updates to the bottom of the page.
That links to the full 5.3.7.3 firmware image.

I need to find the "Amazon Services Update" they posted to fix SSL/TLS with their servers, March 2016.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

You might want to page Nate. He should know.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That links to the full 5.3.7.3 firmware image.

I need to find the "Amazon Services Update" they posted to fix SSL/TLS with their servers, March 2016.
Quote:
You might want to page Nate. He should know.
I followed your directions, downloaded the indicated image file . . . .

They must have updated the image files when they took down the separate update file because it installed and the store now works.

When I have a chance later this afternoon, I'll open that package and confirm that it contains the new TLS 'fix'.
But I am pretty sure the Store would not work last night and it certainly works now (Amazon insists that there are 167 books that I should have considered buying).

= = = =

This S.O. device has the cpu governor control menu installed.
Setting it to 'performance' certainly helps getting through that list of books.

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.