Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Lost_Adams
Greenhorn
Lost_Adams began at the beginning.

Device: none
What Do I Need From Kindle Seller?

Howdy, Y'all,
I've been thinking about buying a used Kindle 1. I've seen an ad from someone who hasn't ever used theirs (or even opened the box?) and seems a little clueless.

Assuming I am satisfied with the physical condition of the reader, what else do I need to make sure of? From some of the threads here, I gather that I can't register it unless they first de-register. Is there any way I can ensure that has been done? Particularly, without a long startup if the unit really is "new in the box"?

Is there any place I can check the Serial Number against units reported stolen?

Thanks.
Lost_Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Adams View Post
Howdy, Y'all,
I've been thinking about buying a used Kindle 1. I've seen an ad from someone who hasn't ever used theirs (or even opened the box?) and seems a little clueless.

Assuming I am satisfied with the physical condition of the reader, what else do I need to make sure of? From some of the threads here, I gather that I can't register it unless they first de-register. Is there any way I can ensure that has been done? Particularly, without a long startup if the unit really is "new in the box"?

Is there any place I can check the Serial Number against units reported stolen?

Thanks.
Unfortunately Amazon does not track stolen Kindle serial numbers. Your best bet is to be mindful of the sellers reputation and should there be an issue, use the eBay system to address it.

Oh, and welcome to MobileRead.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If you can connect to whispernet you can deregister the device from the settings menu.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Lost_Adams
Greenhorn
Lost_Adams began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks, daffy4u and pilotbob,
With that info, I did a little more info gathering and think I understand how it works now. The info in the Visual Kindle Guide turned up in my search, daffy, and was helpful too.

I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks and have seen you both make a lot of helpful posts and seem to know what you are talking about (oops - make that "know that about which you are talking" - nearly ended that sentence with a preposition).

In fact, the whole MobileRead site has been very helpful in providing background information, things to consider, advantages and disadvantages of various readers, etc. Many thanks to the organizers and contributors here.
Lost_Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Adams View Post
Thanks, daffy4u and pilotbob,
With that info, I did a little more info gathering and think I understand how it works now. The info in the Visual Kindle Guide turned up in my search, daffy, and was helpful too.

I've been lurking on the forums for a few weeks and have seen you both make a lot of helpful posts and seem to know what you are talking about (oops - make that "know that about which you are talking" - nearly ended that sentence with a preposition).

In fact, the whole MobileRead site has been very helpful in providing background information, things to consider, advantages and disadvantages of various readers, etc. Many thanks to the organizers and contributors here.
Why thank you Lost-Adams! I'm glad you're finding information that is helpful to you. Please let us know what happens with your Kindle purchase.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert