Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #76
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
killingd: PM sent
Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #77
claybratt
claybratt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Would it be possible to get a copy of the SD card image for the Kobo Wifi, Please.

Last edited by claybratt; 05-21-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent
Old 05-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #79
killingd
killingd began at the beginning.

Device: n647b
Did you get yours working?

Mine is doing the same things did you get yours fixed?

If so how?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by desoto View Post
Successfully copied image (thank you, Davidfor!) to microSD using ImageWriter, and checked the files on it.
However, now the Kobo isn't responding at all. The only thing that works now is the on/off LED. The screen shows "kobo read on" and the 7 little black squares at the bottom. Prior to the new image, the squares continuously loaded (danced) when the kobo was on. Now, they are static.
I tried again from scratch downloading the image, copying it, etc. but nothing changed.
Tried the paperclip reset, but nothing happens. Held home and turned it on, nothing...

Any ideas at this point? The microSD is working, just not in the kobo (it's the original card, too).
Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #80
desoto
desoto began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
kobo fix

My kobo wifi died after a forced update in January 2014. After several unsuccessful attempts to rewrite the sd card, I contacted kobo directly, not expecting anything as my wifi was just shy of two years old. The upshot is that they sent me a refurbished kobo touch.

They are taking full responsibility for the update fiasco. They will probably do the same for your device. Their customer service has been so polite and friendly - I've never experienced anything like it.

The lesson I learned is to contact customer service at the first instance, otherwise it takes forever for them to become aware there is an issue, and then it can take months before they figure out what it is and how to deal with it.

So, if the sd card rewrite doesn't work for you, definitely contact kobo.
Advert
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #81
tcrockett
tcrockett began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I am having the same issue as well. My internal storage is bricked and my new sd card will not work either. I am not technology savvy so I have been researching for a while and I think a new SD image will fix the issue. Would you be able to send along an sd image to me? Thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent
Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #83
justinbiomech
justinbiomech began at the beginning.

Device: kobo ereader n647
Also stuck: kobo n647

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent
Could I trouble you for the image as well? Mine froze after the latest update, and is now stuck on the "read on" splash screen (kobo n647b)
Old 05-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #84
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@justinbiomech: Why not contact Kobo; many people who have had freezes with updates to the n647 model have ended up with Kobo shipping them a refurbished Touch device as a replacement.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:23 PM   #85
justinbiomech
justinbiomech began at the beginning.

Device: kobo ereader n647
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@justinbiomech: Why not contact Kobo; many people who have had freezes with updates to the n647 model have ended up with Kobo shipping them a refurbished Touch device as a replacement.
@ PeterT

That's the plan eventually, I was just mucking around with it hoping I could get it to work prior to a trip I'm leaving on tomorrow. I was planning on contact Kobo when I get back in a few weeks.

Cheers
Justin
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #87
boznia
boznia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo n647
Hi, just bought a cheap but frozen Kino WiFi, it is frozen on 'read on' after a firmware update. I understand that putting an old image on it would fix it. Can somebody give me the link to an old image please?
Any advice on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #88
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

boznia: I have sent you a PM with a link. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122 for some instructions. That is for a different device, but the steps are all the same.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #89
boznia
boznia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo n647
Thanks very much, I have a small issue though in that I cannot turn my kobo wifi off. It is cycling the squares on the 'Read On' screen. I have tried holding the power off button for 30 seconds and have got it to stop cycling the squares, but it does not seem to fully power off.

Can anyone help?

I assume leaving the squares cycling will drain the batter VERY VERY slowly, but I could be waiting weeks for this to drain completely.

I don't really want to open the battery without it powered off, but I am tempted to try it.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #90
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boznia View Post
Thanks very much, I have a small issue though in that I cannot turn my kobo wifi off. It is cycling the squares on the 'Read On' screen. I have tried holding the power off button for 30 seconds and have got it to stop cycling the squares, but it does not seem to fully power off.
If the squares stop cycling with this, it is almost definitely off. If you try switching it on afterwards and the LED next to the switch flashes, then that also shows it was off.
Quote:
Can anyone help?

I assume leaving the squares cycling will drain the batter VERY VERY slowly, but I could be waiting weeks for this to drain completely.
From my experience with the newer devices, this can drain the battery quickly. In at least once case, it seems to be in a CPU intensive loop of some sort and that uses a lot of battery.
Quote:
I don't really want to open the battery without it powered off, but I am tempted to try it.
If you open it carefully and then disconnect the battery before doing anything else, you should be safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
image, kobo, kobo wifi, sd card, wifi