Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-30-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
GloHD boot problems

While I was charging the reader I turn it on (from sleep) and it showed the dialog for USB connection (although it shouldn't because I used a cable with the data connectors linked).
I kept pressing the cancel but it was freezed.
Sending it to sleep and back on didn't change anything.
So, I powered down by long pressing the power button.
Then when I powered back on, the screen flashed twice or three times and then stayed at a white screen while the LED was flashing for ever.
I turn it off and on some times and then a screen appeared that was asking me if I wanted to reset the reader, which i didn't.

I'm on holidays and away from my box, but I will try to find a laptop to use.
What is it that I have to replace/edit in the system to fix this?

I'll open it and get the card out, so any suggestion is welcomed...

Edit: something serious I forgot to mention: I use KSM 8..

Last edited by embryo; 09-30-2021 at 07:02 AM.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Update: I finally managed to flash the SD card, retrieved my books from the previous image and all seem to be working OK.
But I feel a little insecure about it.
What could have caused it?
Advert
Old 10-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
While I was charging the reader I turn it on (from sleep) and it showed the dialog for USB connection (although it shouldn't because I used a cable with the data connectors linked).
Nope, it'll always show, the CDP check is done inside the USBMS tool, not inside KOReader (... and it's unavailable on < Mk.7 anyway, so you can happily start an USBMS session that won't do anything and will require an unplug to exit on a Glo HD ).

Quote:
Edit: something serious I forgot to mention: I use KSM 8..
Whelp, there you have it (for the post hard reboot issues, at least) ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:36 AM   #4
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Whelp, there you have it (for the post hard reboot issues, at least) ;p.
So, what is it that KOReader changed, that blocked KSM from booting?
I've done other hard reboots from KOReader and it will always start up OK.
Is it possible to find out what was different this time (and optionally a way to avoid/fix it)?
Old 10-02-2021, 05:25 AM   #5
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Nope, it'll always show, the CDP check is done inside the USBMS tool, not inside KOReader
Ehm, not really..
I just plugged it in again (while awake), and nothing happen (other than the thunder in the icon).
Keep in mind that as I already written, the data signals of the cable are linked..

Edit: After charging for 5-10min in sleep mode, I woke it and the popup was there.
But just this once!
I failed to replicate it ever since.
Start charging while sleeping,
Start charging while awake and then put it to sleep and wait (as the first time),
Start charging at random times at random modes in random intervals,
Nothing.

Last edited by embryo; 10-02-2021 at 05:42 AM.
Advert
Old 10-02-2021, 06:26 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
So, what is it that KOReader changed, that blocked KSM from booting?
I've done other hard reboots from KOReader and it will always start up OK.
Is it possible to find out what was different this time (and optionally a way to avoid/fix it)?
I've done a cold boot a million times, usually after a dirty forced shutdown. @NiLuJe just doesn't like KSM as much as we do. :P

What you describe somewhat sounds like you might've accidentally provoked a system reset or something?

Last edited by Frenzie; 10-02-2021 at 06:29 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I've done a cold boot a million times, usually after a dirty forced shutdown. @NiLuJe just doesn't like KSM as much as we do. :P
😁
Quote:
What you describe somewhat sounds like you might've accidentally provoked a system reset or something?
It looks that way, but I try to find out what was preventing the first boot from happening?

I also find out the mechanism that triggers the USB popup:
Clouds!
What I'm using to charge the reader is a solar panel.
When there is a cloud passing, it drops the voltage a little and that opens one popup. With every voltage drop, another popup opens on top of the previous one. That explains why in the past I had to press more than one time the cancel button, for the popup to close. The time it freezed, I had it on charge for a long time, so maybe it wasn't freezed at all!
So the question now is: what happens if there are many popups open and you try to hard reset?
Edit: there must be at least one more way to trigger the popup, because I saw one on one of my checks, although there was no disruption of the sun..

Last edited by embryo; 10-02-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The multiple USBMS popup issue should be fixed in current nightlies already .
Old 09-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #9
embryo
Fanatic

After almost a year, the same disaster happened again..😭
After a week of holidays, the reader stopped booting.
This year's story goes like this:
While reading a book, I put the reader in sleep mode and then I connected a solar panel (different this year) for charging.
Maybe the connection plug was not fully inserted, but I didn't notice it then.
After a while I opened the reader and saw the USB dialog again. Only this time it was opening and closing by itself. Some times stayed open so I had to close it myself.
I still believe that it shouldn't open at all since no PC was connected, but hey..
Send it to sleep again and checked the connections.
Reopen the reader and no dialogs anymore (that's why I suspected the plugs).
The reader charged for a while and I started reading again.
After an hour, I went to the file manager to open another book.
Opened at the folder of the current book and I pressed the home button to go to the root of the books.
Nothing happened.
I pressed to go to the parent folder.
Nothing again.
No menu available any more.
No touch response at any tap.
Pressed the power button for some seconds to shutdown.
Power on, the same 2-3 flashes and a white screen as last year.
I have no access to a PC here, so that means maybe no more reading for me. 🤬

This is really dangerous, and I don't want to happen to me again, so I was thinking.
Is there a way to fully disable these automatic checks that unmount the card (or the partition)?
Since I use KSM I don't really need it.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Nothing actually unmounts anything until you actively switch to the USBMS tool (and, even then, it'll do a bunch of more in-depth checks to avoid doing anything, to the best of the kernel's ability to actually report useful stuff (which is... subpar on Mk. < 7), if the host doesn't actually support data).

As for the actual popups, again, we simply trust what the kernel tells us, they should only happen when connecting to a host w/ a data line, but it's an ntx kernel, so it's full of weird little bugs . (e.g., the PowerCover on the Sage is a great candidate for fucking things up on that front ).

That said, you can inhibit how we react to those events by toggling the canToggleMassStorage Device cap to false (I imagine it's probably easily done in a user patch, now).

But IMHO it's a red herring . (I have, in fact, tested USBMS while connected to a CDP, and it's perfectly harmless, it just requires an unplug to exit).

(e.g., it's either a coincidence and the SD card died at the same time, or your esoteric charging setup and/or a wonky cable fried something and/or facilitated killing the card. Plus, you know, KSM ;p. (snark aside, assuming non-catastrophic hardware failure, KSM does prevent you from recovering from that sort of stuff as easily as the stock boot, because it breaks the factory reset capabilities)).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-03-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:49 AM   #11
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Nothing actually unmounts anything until you actively switch to the USBMS tool (and, even then, it'll do a bunch of more in-depth checks to avoid doing anything, to the best of the kernel's ability to actually report useful stuff (which is... subpar on Mk. < 7), if the host doesn't actually support data).
Just guessing.. I'll have to see the partition table and report back if I find a PC.
Quote:
As for the actual popups, again, we simply trust what the kernel tells us, they should only happen when connecting to a host w/ a data line, but it's an ntx kernel, so it's full of weird little bugs . (e.g., the PowerCover on the Sage is a great candidate for fucking things up on that front ).
So nothing can be fixed here..
Quote:
That said, you can inhibit how we react to those events by toggling the canToggleMassStorage Device cap to false (I imagine it's probably easily done in a user patch, now).
Is it something I can manually do (like editing a lua file or something? It could be a nice switch to have in the GUI ;p
Quote:
But IMHO it's a red herring . (I have, in fact, tested USBMS while connected to a CDP, and it's perfectly harmless, it just requires an unplug to exit). (e.g., it's either a coincidence and the SD card died at the same time, or your esoteric charging setup and/or a wonky cable fried something and/or facilitated killing the card.
I don't believe it's a coincidence. Also the card was not dead. Last year I flashed it back and worked OK for a year. I'll try to flash it again and see how things go. As for the charging setup, I've used it already with the reader and my phone many times, without anything else happening.
Quote:
Plus, you know, KSM ;p. (snark aside, assuming non-catastrophic hardware failure, KSM does prevent you from recovering from that sort of stuff as easily as the stock boot, because it breaks the factory reset capabilities)).
I can understand this about recovery, but my problem is what caused it in the first place..
As for reset, last year after many restarts, something ask me for one. I didn't do it, but I suppose it's still available..
Also a reset is almost the same as no reader, because no books, no reading..😀
Old 09-04-2022, 12:41 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If the USBMS tool never even *ran*, then there is absolutely *no* code in KOReader that will touch the mount table[1] (and you'd have noticed if it ran, because it has to stop & restart KOReader ).

[1] With the exception of the *external* SD card, which is remounted sanely on start & exit, but, again, that's outside of KOReader, it's in the startup scripts.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:02 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Is it something I can manually do (like editing a lua file or something? It could be a nice switch to have in the GUI ;p
Oh, forgot that this actually already exists .

[Gear] > Device > USB mass storage > Disable mass storage functionality
Old 09-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #14
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
If the USBMS tool never even *ran*, then there is absolutely *no* code in KOReader that will touch the mount table[1] (and you'd have noticed if it ran, because it has to stop & restart KOReader ).
It never run, but could something happened after a lot of popups?

Quote:
Oh, forgot that this actually already exists .

[Gear] > Device > USB mass storage > Disable mass storage functionality
Then, I think my problems are over.. )
Old 09-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
It never run, but could something happened after a lot of popups?
Nope, the popups are just reacting to kernel events, which itself is reacting to hardware events (in this case, a jittery USB connection), and they're just that, an inert UI element (unless you click yes, of course ;p).

(i.e., the popups are a visible marker of a -- presumably -- wonky hardware behavior, they're not the symptom).