Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever met someone from MobileRead IRL?
Yes and I want to again. 19 32.20%
Yes and never again. 0 0%
No, but I would like to. 35 59.32%
No and I don't care to meet anyone. 5 8.47%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #31
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I would have gone if I hadn't had a prior engagement... We want to be in Amsterdam by monday and we'll need the Saturday to prepare for our holiday... (checking the tent, finding all the stuff needed, doing groceries, etc).

And that prior engagement is much more important, I've been waiting for that for over 3 years!
Oh, that sounds like a great vacation! I love Amsterdam! Have fun - and let us know when you'll be back, so we won't have to send Montsnmags investigators to watch out for you....
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Very encouraging, these numbers. Maybe we should rent a beach house!...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #33
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Rebarnmom went to college in the city where I live and i once gave a lecture in the psych department there and we both crave Mr D's donuts above all other matter in the universe. Does that count?

Oh! And when Captain Pinktoe joins us, we will have met.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #34
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Rebarnmom went to college in the city where I live and i once gave a lecture in the psych department there and we both crave Mr D's donuts above all other matter in the universe. Does that count?

Oh! And when Captain Pinktoe joins us, we will have met.
BTW this Captain Pinktoe's vacation must be over by know. WTH is he?

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #35
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Clearing customs.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #36
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Will you come???
As soon as I can get the two oldest money sponges out on their own, I would LOVE to take a trip to Hawai'i. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be using a walker and keeping my teeth in a jar long before that happens!!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #37
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
We can't do another Alabama meetup until Oct, due to everyone liking the outdoor picnic and it being 100 degrees right now. Unless some southeasterner wants to organize something indoors...... (Hint hint please, BookishDreamer?) Did y'all see our fun pics from the meetup? We ate and talked and laughed and ate some more and almost forgot to even look at each others' leezooses. Search for the thread, I'm too busy to coddle you by posting links.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #38
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
anyone want to plan a Hawai'i meet up?
Shoot I was just there (Oahu & Maui). A Meet Up would have been fun. OTOH, we were on a pretty tight schedule. Plus there's the issue of being seen in public with someone who owns a silver 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #39
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
We can't do another Alabama meetup until Oct, due to everyone liking the outdoor picnic and it being 100 degrees right now. Unless some southeasterner wants to organize something indoors...... (Hint hint please, BookishDreamer?) Did y'all see our fun pics from the meetup? We ate and talked and laughed and ate some more and almost forgot to even look at each others' leezooses. Search for the thread, I'm too busy to coddle you by posting links.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #40
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
I can't this year, I'm fresh out of vacation time. But next year, absolutely! Give me half a reason to go there, and I'll book a trip as fast as the bits will cross the line!
I would be about half a reason! With a few other committed members, that might be a whole reason! yaaay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
As soon as I can get the two oldest money sponges out on their own, I would LOVE to take a trip to Hawai'i. Unfortunately, I have a feeling I will be using a walker and keeping my teeth in a jar long before that happens!!
ok, walker and teeth in a jar... I'll plan things that can be done with that combo. Clams can just be swallowed down, and boating won't require any mobility! Now, this would be in the year, what, 2020?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Shoot I was just there (Oahu & Maui). A Meet Up would have been fun. OTOH, we were on a pretty tight schedule. Plus there's the issue of being seen in public with someone who owns a silver 505.
And that *definitely* would have solved my gender issues! And the issue of the silver 505, yeah, I can see that. it would be really embarassing to be caught holding the inferior product, huh ? (and, just to be clear, I am taking about YOUR inferior product)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #41
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Rebarnmom went to college in the city where I live and i once gave a lecture in the psych department there and we both crave Mr D's donuts above all other matter in the universe. Does that count
And I was at St. Francis once to visit a friend. She may have been in the psych ward, but can't remember for sure. She definitely had some issues. BTW- what's the statute of limitations on hospital gowns, or was it scrubs (soooo long ago??), because she wanted some and let's just say I made it happen. The things crazy college kids do... ahem, ahem...

Don't forget about my cravings for Rocky Rococo pizza, after Mr. D's donuts of course! Well, I actually prefer to eat pizza before donuts (finishing the meal off with something sweet!) But sweets, in this case donuts, are always at the top of my list!!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Hmmm .... met up with MR folks in Austin and in Houston, and met DG in Phoenix (even though her husband was certain I was a psycho killer --- qu'est-ce que c'est? fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa better run run run run run run away OH OH OH!!)
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #43
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've met patricia, natch, alex, hadrien, gaurnim, ygg, igorsk, florence, polyglot, alfy, and quite a few more of the french members, thanks to the meetups ! it's always a delight and i am looking forward already to the next one (july 4 !!), and also to my next tea and gossip session with patricia, which hopefully will be not too long after that. there are many other forum members i really hope to meet one day !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm sorry, Patricia. I hate the universal truth that the time you most need a vacation is the time when you can least afford to take one. There should be a Law of Thermodynamics or something that guards against things like that.
agreed, fervently. let's write one and vote it.

Quote:
I think it would be lovely if you could come!! I am looking very forward to the event. I would love to attend a meet-up in Europe to meet people on the "other side of the pond". I also think it would be great fun to meet some of our Canadian neighbors, like Yvan and Verencat. I suggested an International meet-up in another thread once. To me, that sounds like a great time!
i'd just like to point out that the majority of our parisian meet-ups have been international, with representants from Wales, Switzerland, the US, Australia, Japan, China, and possibly some others, at various dates.

Quote:
By the way, Patricia, there isn't a link in your signature line. Can anyone sign the petition? I would very much like to support you.
psst : there's a link on the word "here".
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I haven't yet met anyone from MR, in person, but talk to a few like I already have.

I missed meeting Zelda (by that much) on her trip to Canada last year, but we've been email buddies since those early days just after joining MobileRead.com.
yes, that was frustrating. hopefully next time my trip won't be so brief, and i will have more free time !!!

Quote:
Maybe soon I'll get the chance to meet some members (shighfield, ficbot, ...) at an up and coming Toronto meet-up; that has been discussed but not as of yet finalized as to the nitty gritty details.
it would be about time !! i don't know what you're waiting for...

Quote:
Haven't yet, but would love to... And all those meet-ups are so far away! The closest would either be Paris or Frankfurt and both are about 8 hours. While that may not seem too far away to you Americans and Canadians, for a Dutch person it's not something you do just like that...
for a paris person neither, alas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
cassidy, i would think you of all people would be travelling all over the world to be able to welcome everyone to the meetups in person !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 PM   #44
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Zelda, I've already petitioned the husband for a trip to Paris next year for our 25th anniversary! Maybe I can fit in an International MR meet-up if it's around the same time!

By the way, I told Shannon about our conversation yesterday and she was non too happy with me lumping her into the whole "kids" category and taking her name in vain. Turns 22 and graduates from college and then thinks she's all grown-up. Who knew?!??!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Zelda, I've already petitioned the husband for a trip to Paris next year for our 25th anniversary! Maybe I can fit in an International MR meet-up if it's around the same time!
well, just so you know, we usually have them about every 3 months, the schedule so far looks like : late june / early july, late septembre / early october, late january / early february, and april-ish. if you know your travel dates well enough in advance we can probably try to fit to your schedule if possible...

Quote:
By the way, I told Shannon about our conversation yesterday and she was non too happy with me lumping her into the whole "kids" category and taking her name in vain. Turns 22 and graduates from college and then thinks she's all grown-up. Who knew?!??!
hm, that is actually an important question : when does a shum cease to be a shum ? most of them seem to transition into actual humans eventually although it seems to be on a schedule less predictable and more variable than our meetups... maybe we need some sort of symptom checklist.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote