Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
It might be interesting to take it to the police to see what they say? It may be a legitimate device, but if it was stolen, the police may (or may not) be interested in pursuing it.
It may be interesting to someone who has nothing else to do with their life. But this happened four or five years ago and I now live 1,700 miles away. Amazon could have gotten this Kindle to its rightful owner (they would have known its registered owner). Apparently they didn't care. If it's not important to them to pursue, why should it be to me? Sorry, but I paid $10 for this eReader, found out it was blacklisted, called Amazon and was told to return it to the pawn shop. It wasn't a big enough deal to waste my time going to the police department (and which one, there were several cities in the DFW area where I lived?). I'm definitely not going to beat myself up over this. But if you want the "adventure" for yourself, go to eBay, find a blacklisted Kindle and go "whole hog" on this.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It may be interesting to someone who has nothing else to do with their life. But this happened four or five years ago and I now live 1,700 miles away. Amazon could have gotten this Kindle to its rightful owner (they would have known its registered owner). Apparently they didn't care. If it's not important to them to pursue, why should it be to me? Sorry, but I paid $10 for this eReader, found out it was blacklisted, called Amazon and was told to return it to the pawn shop. It wasn't a big enough deal to waste my time going to the police department (and which one, there were several cities in the DFW area where I lived?). I'm definitely not going to beat myself up over this. But if you want the "adventure" for yourself, go to eBay, find a blacklisted Kindle and go "whole hog" on this.
The time to do it was four or five years ago, or when you didn't live 1700 miles away, or when you bought it from the pawn shop. If a pawn shop is selling stolen merchandise, the police may be interested in knowing. Heck you didn't even need to go to the police station; a phone call would have probably determined if they were interested.

It is always easier to stick your head in the sand and say not my problem, or I'm to busy. If everyone did this...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2019, 03:46 PM   #33
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I would comment but this thread has gone on way too long. The OP has moved on.

So I will just stick my head back in the sand , it's easier that way
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
The time to do it was four or five years ago, or when you didn't live 1700 miles away, or when you bought it from the pawn shop. If a pawn shop is selling stolen merchandise, the police may be interested in knowing. Heck you didn't even need to go to the police station; a phone call would have probably determined if they were interested.

It is always easier to stick your head in the sand and say not my problem, or I'm to busy. If everyone did this...
Oh, give me a break. I did do what I thought was the right thing to do at the time. I called Amazon, they weren't interested. We're talking about a $10 eReader here. I'm not going to spend hours at several police departments over this. If you don't think police departments regularly check out pawn shops, then you're not living in reality.

Here's some other possibilities for you to ponder...

1. The eReader may have been reported lost (not stolen).
2. The owner of the eReader may have pawned the eReader and several other items and then reported them all stolen for insurance purposes.
3. The owner may have pawned the eReader to the pawn shop, was peeved at the price he/she got for it and reported it stolen to be vindictive.

Who knows? So many possibilities. Amazon could have solved the issue. They chose not to do so. I realized the real chances of this reader getting back to its original owner was about zilch. There are five cities within a two mile radius of that pawn shop — again WHICH police department? Do I go to all of them in a quixotic quest for justice? Since I paid for eReader, I used it. Get over it. Or don't. I don't care.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Besides which, the police have far more important things to do than bother about an old ereader; such as tracking down terrorists. (I'm in the UK; nuff said.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 02:55 AM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I knew there was a reason why I don't buy things from a pawn shop or eBay, and this thread has confirmed that. I can't really put my finger on that reason, other than to attribute it to general distrust of places I believe could be sketchy. Those places include pawn shops and eBay, and things purchased directly from China. I have bought one or two items direct from China, but they were so cheap that I could easily ignore any loss (they turned out to be good purchases however).

As far as me ending up with lost or stolen property, what I would go through to get it back to it's owner depends on the value of the item. If I found an unknown laptop in my driveway, I would make a few calls and inquiries to find where it should go. But I wouldn't do much to find the previous owner of a Bic pen found out there laying next to my newspaper. A used Kindle is not worth a whole lot more than that Bic pen, so I'd probably do just what rcentos did, and call it good. Face it folks, if Amazon disavows that lost or stolen Kindle, it will never be getting back to its original owner. So there is no better new owner of it than the person who innocently paid money to the pawn shop to obtain it. Amazon blacklisted it, but they also disavowed it (declined to help get it back to its original owner). Given that, I would have no qualms about using it with sideloaded books. If the original owner was identified, I'd give it back to them. But the chances of that happening are, well, realistically it just isn't going to happen. We all know that.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Besides which, the police have far more important things to do than bother about an old ereader; such as tracking down terrorists. (I'm in the UK; nuff said.)
I know exactly what would have happened. If the police department bothered with it at all, the Kindle would have gone into storage and would have sat there for a year or two and then would have been sold in a police auction. And someone else would have gotten the blacklisted Kindle, sold to them by the police department.

A few years ago (pretty close to the same time I bought this Kindle) someone hacked my credit card. The bank was pretty quick to discover it, there wasn't much permanent damage done but still I was angry at the thief. I wanted to get this straightened out as quickly as possible, so I called the shop that sold the most expensive item (about $250 to $300). I told them that I was rightful holder of the card and that I didn't authorize the sale and they immediately reversed the charges. Also, at my request, they told me the name and address they had shipped the package to -- a well-to-do suburb of Houston. I called the bank to let them know that, if they told the police and had the package tracked to when it was delivered, they would probably be able to catch the thieves. ZERO interest. Didn't want to call the police. Nothing. I assume that if these guys were doing this to me they were doing it to other people as well.

So, in the real world, a $10 Kindle doesn't mean anything to a policeman. It would have been a waste of time to go to them.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #38
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So, in the real world, a $10 Kindle doesn't mean anything to a policeman. It would have been a waste of time to go to them.

A single Kindle might not, but if it was part of a job lot of stolen goods sold to a pawnbroker, that might be of interest, as the job lot might contain higher-ticket or sentimentally-valuable items.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM   #39
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
A single Kindle might not, but if it was part of a job lot of stolen goods sold to a pawnbroker, that might be of interest, as the job lot might contain higher-ticket or sentimentally-valuable items.
This, for one.

I can understand why rcentros doesn't think it was with his/her time. I'm a little disgruntled with police not following through with things. But personally, for $10 dollars, I would make a phone call to the police and let them decide how to handle it.

And please don't ask me what the $ cut off point would be for me reporting it.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer

And with amount of time that has been spent talking about it, a phone call could have been made to the police.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I'm going to "blacklist" (ignore) this thread on blacklisting, so I'm not tempted to jump back in. Have at it!

As for the original question... No you can't get around blacklisting. The short answer.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #42
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
There are many ways tho they may be short on practicality.

e.g. Buy a new Kindle. Move any books to new device.
or Buy Amazon & change blacklisting policy.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #43
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
They have more important things to do, like providing a backdrop to Boris Johnson's campaign speeches!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #44
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
They have more important things to do, like providing a backdrop to Boris Johnson's campaign speeches!
Let's keep Brexit and the election out of this.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #45
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Let's keep Brexit and the election out of this.
Speaking of elections, a Russian Hacker could probably remove the blacklisting.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote