Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
eBook Effects

With all the talk about ebooks outpacing paper books on Amazon...and the attendant debates on whether paper books will survive, will publishers survive...yadda yadda. I thought it would be interesting to discuss what effect ebooks have had on our own reading.

For me:

1. I am reading fewer paper books.
2. I am reading a LOT more books.
3. I am am spending somewhat more on books.
4. I am reading a lot more back list and out of copyright books
5. I am far far more engaged in reading...spending time most every day chatting about it on the internet.
6. I watch less Tv and read more
7. I read pretty much the same types of books I always have
8. I have become far more organized about my reading, keeping track of authors and series and "what to read next" than I ever have
9. Publishers have nothing to fear from the effects of ebooks if I'm a normal example
10. I'm more likely to read a book from a new author than ever before thanks to free ebooks easily available
11. But I still pretty much read books from authors I know I like
12. I go to book stores a lot less
13. I go to the library less, but would engage them more once they get their ebook act together
14. I buy ebooks with or without DRM, but will choose DRM that has been cracked over DRM that has not
15. I value ebooks higher than physical books because I FAR prefer to read ebooks
16. I am as willing to pay for an ebook as I was a paper book

That's me. How about you?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
For me:

Nope. Here in Sweden there's a LOT of publisher resistance to ebooks. I always ask and am always told no.
About the same.
About the same.
Agree
5. I am far far more engaged in reading...spending time most every day chatting about it on the internet.
Ah, the MR syndrome. A bit like sex. At first two or three times a day. Then two or three times a week... But a weak 'yes, I agree'.
Agree. This is as much because of deteriorating tv as my ownership of an ebook reader. However, I also write more.
Absolutely.
8. I have become far more organized about my reading, keeping track of authors and series and "what to read next" than I ever have
I'm working on it. Problem is - and always has been - how to record a book in your book diary when you read three or four at the same time.
9. Publishers have nothing to fear from the effects of ebooks if I'm a normal example
Agree. I've even paid for ebooks.
10. I'm more likely to read a book from a new author than ever before thanks to free ebooks easily available
Agree.
Agree. Thank goodness Jane Austen is out of copyright.
No, but I buy fewer books there. I go to browse.
13. I go to the library less, but would engage them more once they get their ebook act together
I go about the same, i.e. not much since their offering of English books is so limited.
14. I buy ebooks with or without DRM, but will choose DRM that has been cracked over DRM that has not
I buy books with or without DRM, but the first thing I do with DRM books is rip the DRM off as a matter of principle. I do not send copies to other people, however, nor upload them to torrent sites. But whatever the publisher thinks or the license says, this book is MINE.
15. I value ebooks higher than physical books because I FAR prefer to read ebooks
Actually I prefer to read physical books, but I can get more books into my pocket with an ereader
Agree, but I'm not willing to pay as much.

I suppose I could have chosen nuances of red and green, and possibly orange and yellow, but red for no and green for yes seemed like an easy code.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
1. I'm reading quite a bit more than I normally used to.
2. I'm carrying more books with me at any given time than I was afforded before I had something capable of reading ebooks.
3. I look more often for books AND ebooks.
4. I've been more open to magazines and other publications now that I'm able to read them online rather than take a gamble on reading one in a store and subscribing.
5. I'm a cheap bastard, so I will usually wait for discounts/coupons on most books (paper or electronic) UNLESS it's a book that I absolutely have to have as soon as it gets released.
6. I can read in bed a lot easier and it be less annoying to the missus, as I don't have to have an actual light on to read at night.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
1. I'm buying almost no pbooks
2. I'm reading more books
3. I'm spending more on books, but buying a lot more books
4. Reading somewhat more backlist books
5. About the same

Everything is pretty much the same, except like most folks, I don't care about DRM.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I am probably reading about the same number of books, but I am definitely buying more. The main reason is that with paper books, I had no space to keep adding them, so I had to be selective in what I bought. Now I feel like I have no space limitations to keep me in check, so if I see something that looks interesting, I'll impulse-buy.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I read the same amount, I would say, and spend the same amount of time doing it. I still get paperbacks from the library like I used to. If my little library has a book I wanted to read, I'd much rather rent it than pay for it. I definitely spend less money on books, though, even though I'm still reading the same amount. Several of the books I've read this year were free reads. I think I've only actually spent money on three books since Christmas.

But my hands don't hurt when I read anymore. Holding open a brand new paperback is hard work.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
1. I am reading almost no paper books.
4. I am reading a lot more back list and out of copyright books.
5. I am far far more engaged in reading, but less connected to other readers other than in abstract. I rarely exchange or seek book recs, because my reading habits are so scattered.
6. I don't watch less TV and read more, because I always considered TV something to do when I ran out of book.
7. I read different types of books because I could never get enough of my favorite fiction subgenres in print; there's more available as ebooks. OTOH, there's less of the nonfic I like available as ebooks, so I'm reading less of that.
8. I am as sloppy about tracking what I've read & what I want to read as I ever was. Maybe worse--I now assume that, when I want to read something new, I can hop on the net and find a good book within minutes, so I don't need to keep lists in advance. I am, however, meticulous about sorting & tagging fanfic.
9. Mainstream publishers should be terrified if I'm a normal example; I was never a notable print customer, and the companies getting my ebook $$ aren't the one I used to read secondhand books from. I'm teaching my kids to love books & reading--and they, too, will think of Gutenberg, Smashwords & AO3 as book sources before B&N or Amazon.
11. I am more likely to pay for ebooks of authors I know & like, where previously I was likely to track down used copies.
12. I go to book stores almost never. I know the books I'll be reading won't be there, so there's no point in even looking around.
13. I go to the library almost never. But that's not a change.
14. I don't touch DRM. Not even for freebies.
15. I value ebooks & pbooks differently. I prefer to read ebooks, but I like the shareability and sustainability of pbooks.
16. I am as willing to pay for an ebook as I was a paper book. Which mostly means, I expect over 75% of my reading to be free.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Almost exact to the tee except 7,12,16.
I also added one.

Quote:
With all the talk about ebooks outpacing paper books on Amazon...and the attendant debates on whether paper books will survive, will publishers survive...yadda yadda. I thought it would be interesting to discuss what effect ebooks have had on our own reading.

For me:

I've read 0 paper books since I started reading eBooks.
When I started with eBooks I read a lot more books out of my perferred genres, read a lot of the free promos books and authors here on this site. After realizing I didn't like those other genres too much I went back to reading my normal rout.
12. I go to book stores a lot less. Same, I love bookstores, since most sell coffee, but I don't buy pBooks any more.
14. I buy ebooks with or without DRM, but will choose DRM that has been cracked over DRM that has not.
I ONLY buy books that have DRM cracked
Not me, on sheer principle I expect an eBook to be cheaper

Lee
17. I've used the TTS features or /Audiobooks while working out and commuting. Before eBooks I've never listened to Audiobooks or TTS
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think a person spends more time (more hrs of straight reading) with ebooks as well. I mean whether the book is 150 pages or 800 pages they all weight the same amount when beheld in an ereader device. While even something that weighs 8.5-8.7 ounces will cause the wrist to get weary after a time you can read longer in perfect comfort when you're reading off of an ereader like the Kindle rather than a pbook that could weigh in at several pounds depending on how many pages it is.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

For me:

I still have tons of paper books, but the only things I've read in paper since getting a reader in '07 are a few reference type books.
Pretty much the same for me, about 250-300 books a year.
I know I definitely am. I used to buy lots of used books in paper, can't do that with ebooks (although I'm spending more that amount has dropped considerably since agency pricing took over).
I read a lot more PD "classics" than I used to.
About the same as I used to for me.
This happened for me before ebooks were on my radar, but I do hardly watch TV anymore.
I still read the same genres I used to, but have also expanded that and have been willing to try just about anything once.
I started keeping a 'books read' list in Google docs not to long before buying my first reader. I find I pay more attention to what's coming out now than I ever did in the past.
The only thing the Big pubs have to fear from me is losing my business to smaller pubs and indie authors as it stand right now the big pubs have gotten a lot more money from me since I went digital.
Me too.
Me too.
This happened for me before ebooks. I got tired of them not having what I wanted and offering to order it for me and just started ordering pbooks from Amazon instead. I hardly ever set foot in a book store anymore.
Thankfully my library has gotten their ebook act together this past year. I find I use it quite a bit, but still buy lots of books too.
Me too.
Me too.
Pretty much the same for me, but I'm less likely to impulse buy an ebook priced at print prices and would prefer them to be a buck or two cheaper. I won't buy and ebook that costs more than the pbook (for example $8 for p, but $13 for e).

Lee
I tried reading a pbook the other day and found it quite uncomfortable.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
1) I've been reading a lot more than I used to. I now read about one and a half hours instead of 1 hour or less. As a kid I used to spend half the day reading.
2) I've been able to find books that I have not been able to find in paperback bookstores.
3) I can spend more on more recent books now that I can get public domain books for free.
4) Paperback bookstores are still my favourite places to visit in shopping centers. The presence of paperbacks is like chicken soup to me.
5) The library is still my favourite place to read, especially since they have coffee and finger food. Though I never browse there anymore; my library has a fantastic ebook section.
6) I never buy paperback novels anymore.
7) I am now more open to magazines as well thanks to magazine apps in iPads.
8) I'm also more open to indie publishing now, when previously,i used to scorn them. Thanks a lot, Smashwords!

And now it seems that I've converted my cousin to ebooks too. He now wants to get an iPad for that purpose.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've spent more on books recently than I did in the recent past. It used to be that almost everything I read came from the library.

But I wish I knew more about dependable guides to indie eBook general or literary fiction. I feel like I'm standing in the middle of an avalanche and trying to distinguish among snowflakes.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
1. reading more
2. 99% digital
3. go to small local independent bookstore every couple of months, look around, nothing there, leave (force of habit, sense of obligation to support local business)
4. visited library just to get a card so I could borrow ebooks online. Prior to that it had been years (the library here is open maybe 20 hours a week due to budget cuts, and wasn't that good to begin with)
5. reading variety is greater
6. reading more classics because they are free and available with one click and did I mention they are free?
7. magazines, they are dead to me, in print and digitally. I tried a couple of $5 subscriptions from Zinio, but won't be renewing. As Gertrude Stein famously said of Oakland, There's no there there. (but actually Oakland definitely has a there, and it is not so far from here)
8. that's because I'm an RSS fiend and magazines just don't scratch that itch any more
9. ok, I lied: I have a Kindle subscription to Atlantic Monthly. It's good, I like it.
10. don't care about DRM except for reference books (I buy lots of ebooks from O'Reilly). Most things I'm only going to read one time. There's no sense of pride in collecting ebooks, at least not for me, I wish I could dump my print book collection, which I feel burdened by somehow, but for obscure, complicated psycho-emotional reasons, I cannot.
11. I cannot stand going into a Borders or Barnes and Noble. I can never find a damn thing I want to read there, and it is depressing to think there are so many books that I don't want to read. I love reading!
12. Amazon is completely different. This leads to that, ratings, reviews, it is great. My wish list is long and growing, I have no fear of running out of things to read before dying.
13. I have had to purchase ebook editions of books I already own, just so I will actually be able to read it (I travel a lot and books are not as portable as they used to be).
14. I'll pay up to around $15 for an ebook, but only occasionally, and only if I can clear space in my 'currently reading' queue by finishing something, which I try to limit to about 5 books.
15. Lately my 'currently reading' queue is dominated by library ebooks. So not buying very many books. I keep thinking the collection is small, I'll have read everything of interest real soon but it has been six months now and I haven't run out of things to read yet.
16. I have started to listen to audiobooks (I do a lot of driving, and suffer occasional insomnia). Wish they included text however.
17. Kindle's TTS is underrated and useful. I've read entire books using it. Why doesn't anybody else do this?
18. Books are strange antiquated objects. Why can't they read to me? Why can't I touch a word and have a definition pop up? or do a wikipedia lookup? What are books for, anyway?

Last edited by tomsem; 05-26-2011 at 01:12 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #14
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I'm reading about the same number of books, but almost exclusively ebooks, and almost exclusively independent authors.

My book buying habits haven't changed, the number of books I read hasn't really changed (although my books are more portable, so I guess I'm reading outside the house more than I used to). I am reading way more genres than I used to, however. And this is how it happened:

Got an ereader
Found MR
Started reading library books on my ereader (thanks, MR! I didn't know I could do that!)
Discovered Smashwords and Independent authors (thanks again, MR! I found them all through this site)
Started reviewing my reads on Smashwords
Decided to start a blog and put a few reviews up
Started getting a lot more review requests than I bargained for
Found a LOT of books I really enjoyed in genres I didn't normally seek out in my pbook life.

So I guess the main thing it did for me was expand my reading preferences and open me up to many new authors with many unique and interesting works.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #15
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
(1) Definitely reading more in public, especially on public transit. I spend hours each day on public transit. I've always taken books on public transit, but I was always limited by size. Now I bring my e-reader with me everywhere I go.

(2) Before I started my book blog, I was reading mostly free PD books or news and online free short fiction I would send to my Kindle using Instapaper. Now because of my blog's genre focus, that stuff is now replaced by SF/F indie books and the majority of the authors are on Smashwords.

(3) I am reading way more books, at least 4x more than previous years. I chalk it up to the ease of acquiring new books to read (hello, internet!) and the ability to read on the go.

(4) I am also buying more books, and buying less used. I almost never bought new books before my e-reader, I always hit the second-hand bookstores or borrowed from friends. Now, some authors out there are seeing $10-$15 from me each month. It's not that much compared to others, but it's better than the $0/month previous.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote