Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
50$ off readers @ borders

For the first time I got a good luck at a reader in borders. I think Ill wait until they adopt the new eink display, but other than that the reader looked very nice.

Its on sale until the end of this month.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
is it 300-50=250 dollar, or is it 299 dollar like everywhere else?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
is it 300-50=250 dollar, or is it 299 dollar like everywhere else?

Its 299 after the $50 discount
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sony has a deal where you can get the reader for $299 + a free cradle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
For the first time I got a good luck at a reader in borders. I think Ill wait until they adopt the new eink display, but other than that the reader looked very nice.

-d
You could be waiting a long time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony has a deal where you can get the reader for $299 + a free cradle.
Why does this sound to me like, "Tell you what: You buy this car, and I'll throw in the tires for free!"?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
afiggatt
afiggatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

The Reader has been on sale for $299 USD for some weeks now at Borders and on-line at Best Buy & Circuit City websites. I think they all have the $50 credit at the Connect Store deal. I ended up buying it because of the sale price. I figure I will be replacing the current Reader in less than a year as it is a first generation device. But what the heck, sometimes it's fun being an early adopter.
afiggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Why does this sound to me like, "Tell you what: You buy this car, and I'll throw in the tires for free!"?
I don't know, because the cradle for the Reader isn't a necessary piece of equipment the way the tires are for a car.

To me it's more like "buy this car and we'll throw in the GPS navigation system for free" -- not necessary for safe and proper operation of the car but a nice accessory.

Just as the cradle is for the reader.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt View Post
I figure I will be replacing the current Reader in less than a year as it is a first generation device. But what the heck, sometimes it's fun being an early adopter.
To say nothing about the fact that if you hadn't bought the reader now, you'd be without the great reading experience you're now getting, as you wait for some unknown future product release.

And even then, perhaps the new eink display that gets added to a newer version of the reader may not be to your liking, so you would have waited a year only to find that you're disappointed and at that time you'd only be able to buy used versions of the current reader.

I don't consider myself an early adopter -- I consider myself fortunate enough to have been able to afford the reader when I did and am thoroughly enjoying reading the many PG books which aren't available in print any more and which were not as enjoyable to read on my Palm Tungsten T5.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I don't know, because the cradle for the Reader isn't a necessary piece of equipment the way the tires are for a car.

To me it's more like "buy this car and we'll throw in the GPS navigation system for free" -- not necessary for safe and proper operation of the car but a nice accessory.

Just as the cradle is for the reader.
I guess what I was alluding to is, for $300, I expect to get a cradle!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I guess what I was alluding to is, for $300, I expect to get a cradle!
Why? What use is it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why? What use is it?
It makes the Reader sit up on your desk, instead of lying down on it... takes up less real estate!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
OK . Can you actually READ from the cradle? I've never actually seen one - it struck me as just being a way of recharging the Reader without the extreme effort of plugging the charger cable in. Since I only recharge about once every three weeks, this scarcely seems worth paying for .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just because?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I would assume that you could read from the cradle... although I doubt that it's much easier to turn the pages when the device is sitting on your desk, and not in your hands...