Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
nystagmus
Enthusiast
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Tolino Shine 3, Boox Max Lumi, Kobo Forma
Question Dictionary look up for English not working

Hallo,

I am facing since around 1 week a wierd problem with koreader (april and Mai update) on Kobo forma. The English Dictionaries - big ones like oxford or the downloaded ones from Koreader- are not working. It stays at the looking up message. The dictionaries show up in dictionary list in Koreader. I have a Kobo Clara HD which does not have this problem. I recopied the dict-files from there and it they are still not working. Dictionaries in other language (e.g. German Pons) are working as expected on both devices.

Is some else facing a similar error?

Thank you for your help
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:26 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Unless you've disabled them ([Looking glass] > Dictionary settings > Manage dictionaries), nothing really jumps to mind, no.

(Even then, I'm unclear on how the "Looking up" popup behaves when disabled dictionaries enter the equation, but, in any case, you should probably get a "no match" one instead of nothing)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Okay, all dictionaries being disabled was doing something wonky, but probably not exactly what you described.

In any case, things might be clearer with verbose debug logs: [Tools] > More tools > Developer options. Tick both of 'em, restart KOReader, try to lookup something, then post your crash.log file (it's in KOReader's folder).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
nystagmus
Enthusiast
nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'nystagmus can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Tolino Shine 3, Boox Max Lumi, Kobo Forma
I think i found the problem,

I did a mistake: the dictionaries installed on the kobo clara hd and forma were not identical.

Somehow there is a dictionary named "eng-deu.index" (Foldername freedict-eng-deu-1.8.1-stardict), I assume it is not optimized for koreader. I don't remember where I got it from. Its size is around 130MB. https://freedict.org/de/downloads/ does not even have any file that large. None of the devices could use this dict.

I have moved some files before a while between an encrypted cloud folder and my local drive, somehow some stuff got corrupted I assume (weirdly eReader related too as it was calibre library with calibre having problems with it). Maybe the dict got corrupted in the process too.

after disabling it the dictionary started to work as usual.

Thank you for your reply
nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote