Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
And they will either simply be higher resolution Kaleido (still washed out compared to OLED/LCD and dimmer than ordinary eink) or else need a front light or sunlight.
It's simply not physically possible to have other than a compromise passive display based on pigmented cells. Mirasol had some potential but wasn't good enough, too expensive and owned by the wrong company.

Assuming this is based on real PR.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
E-Ink do list a Gallery 4000 development board

But that's a seven-colour board, with no info on refresh rates. I suppose they could have a Gallery 4100 in the works.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2021, 01:55 PM   #63
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo A1, iPad(s), Kindle DX, Hanvon E930
10.3" Color e-Ink with a frontlight and Wacom.

Bigme B1 Pro

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...with-free-case

https://ereaderx.com/product/bigme-b...ereader-specs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UL8tdrLFQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXfVsgodhdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufMDB1WIEHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MdF5yuPbb8

Last edited by Marinolino; 01-20-2021 at 02:30 PM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:55 PM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
10.3" Color e-Ink with a frontlight and Wacom.

Bigme B1 Pro
Hmmm.... 10.9" Apple iPad with 64GB storage for $780 Cdn or Bigme B1 Pro for $1010 Cdn. Price for both includes shipping. CPU comparison between the Apple A14 Bionic chip and the Bigme's "Quad Core 1.8GHz" CPU, display resolution of 2360x1640 compared to 1872x1404 (624x468 in colour), colour levels at 16.7 million compared to 4096, display speed of HD video at 60fps compared to HD video at .3fps, weight 454 gms for the iPad vs 440 gms for the Bigme, size for the iPad Air 247.6x178.5x6.1 mm vs the Bigme's 300x238x43 mm (not sure if the depth is a typo but that's what the ebuy7 web page says).

This leaves me asking where are the advantages to using the Bigme?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:26 PM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm.... 10.9" Apple iPad with 64GB storage for $780 Cdn or Bigme B1 Pro for $1010 Cdn. Price for both includes shipping. CPU comparison between the Apple A14 Bionic chip and the Bigme's "Quad Core 1.8GHz" CPU, display resolution of 2360x1640 compared to 1872x1404 (624x468 in colour), colour levels at 16.7 million compared to 4096, display speed of HD video at 60fps compared to HD video at .3fps, weight 454 gms for the iPad vs 440 gms for the Bigme, size for the iPad Air 247.6x178.5x6.1 mm vs the Bigme's 300x238x43 mm (not sure if the depth is a typo but that's what the ebuy7 web page says).

Battery life?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Hmmm.... 10.9" Apple iPad with 64GB storage for $780 Cdn or Bigme B1 Pro for $1010 Cdn.
Or a lenovo 10.3" tablet for maybe about CDN$200, add 256 G micro SD for maybe CND$ 50? Cheaper because, (a) Not Apple. (b) Not a Retina display. I wear about 3.5 reading glasses, so while a bit higher resolution might be nice on fine print A4 PDFs, it's good enough for 10"

I like eink. Not convinced coloured eink has the same advantages. I baulked at price of the 8" Forma and bought a 7" Libra ink, 10.3" Lenovo tablet and 256 G Byte microSD card for less than the cost of a Forma over a year ago. No doubt the battery life on a 10" coloured eink is wonderful, but I'm still going to read almost all novels on the 7" Kobo Libra. Weight!

I treated myself to a needless luxury last week, a 7.8" Likebook Mars. The 8" Kobo Forma is cheaper here than it was, but I'm happy with the Libra. I hope I'm not too disappointed with the Likebook Mars.

I can't see the advantage of a 10" colour eink over a 10" tablet unless you read outside and read a lot of comics. You'd want a warm coat and big umbrella even during most of the summer here.

I know graphic novels and comics have a very keen niche market. But it's expensive content for not a lot of reading. I kind of lost interest in them 25 years ago, though I bought one last year. Which is actually all monochrome, a Babbage and Lovelace adventure.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-20-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Battery life?
The only mention I found is up to 90 days in standby.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or a lenovo 10.3" tablet for maybe about CDN$200, add 256 G micro SD for maybe CND$ 50? Cheaper because, (a) Not Apple. (b) Not a Retina display. I wear about 3.5 reading glasses, so while a bit higher resolution might be nice on fine print A4 PDFs, it's good enough for 10"
I used the Apple iPad since many people complain about Apple products being overpriced and I've been looking at a replacement for my iPad Pro. I could have used a Samsung tablet with much the same results.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only mention I found is up to 90 days in standby.
Doing a Google, I found a standby time of 2 days.

https://www.att.com/device-support/a...78/Apple/A2068

What I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:17 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doing a Google, I found a standby time of 2 days.

https://www.att.com/device-support/a...78/Apple/A2068

What I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison.
Huh? The 90 days standby time was for the Bigme device. As the standby time you found, it's for an iPad Pro not an iPad Air and an iPad Pro with builtin cellular at that (the talk time of 10 hours on 3G is a bit of a giveaway). My current iPad Pro WiFi only lasts well over 2 weeks on standby. That comes from when I left it at work while on vacation and it had dropped to ~50% battery after 16 days. I have very few non-essential apps installed and none that I can control are allowed to run in the background, check location, etc.

Apples to apples? Would it have made you feel better if I had used a Samsung tablet as the basis for the comparison to compare Android to Android. As I said, I compared a device from a manufacturer often derided for high prices. Given the price comparison, it's hard for me to see how purchasing the Bigme could be justified. I realize a good chunk of the cost may be due to the colour eInk panel but otherwise, it's specs are pretty much any low end commodity Android tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB storage, etc.).
Old 01-21-2021, 06:20 AM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Huh? The 90 days standby time was for the Bigme device. As the standby time you found, it's for an iPad Pro not an iPad Air and an iPad Pro with builtin cellular at that (the talk time of 10 hours on 3G is a bit of a giveaway). My current iPad Pro WiFi only lasts well over 2 weeks on standby. That comes from when I left it at work while on vacation and it had dropped to ~50% battery after 16 days. I have very few non-essential apps installed and none that I can control are allowed to run in the background, check location, etc.

Apples to apples? Would it have made you feel better if I had used a Samsung tablet as the basis for the comparison to compare Android to Android. As I said, I compared a device from a manufacturer often derided for high prices. Given the price comparison, it's hard for me to see how purchasing the Bigme could be justified. I realize a good chunk of the cost may be due to the colour eInk panel but otherwise, it's specs are pretty much any low end commodity Android tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB storage, etc.).
You seemed to be comparing the two devices. You than asked a question, I gave a likely possibility. You than offered the Bigme standby battery life without mentioning anything about iPad. I than did a quick google and reported the iPad Pro (with cellular) standby time. I even joked that it wasn't an apples to apples comparison.

I would guess that in normal usage scenarios, the bigMe would win on battery life. My guess may be wrong.

I'll leave the "value" of the two devices for others to debate.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:49 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
With my iPad, I turn off WiFi when it's not in use. That gives me a lot better battery life in standby. Turn on WiFi on this Bigme and that 90-days will drop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color e-ink