Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
pavelh
Connoisseur
pavelh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 3
Question is this really DRM?

Hi!
AFAIK DRM locks your purchased e-book to your device (described for example here: https://mybookcave.com/what-is-ebook...it-affect-you/) and anything else is called DRM-free. But I am currently corresponding with a publisher who claims their e-books are DRM-protected and explains it like this: "the user id is integrated into the book, the user can copy the e-book from device to device". I am puzzled. To me this sounds more like DRM-free. Any opinions, pls?
Thx in advance!

PH
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2/Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
It's probably a watermark. A watermark is so-called "social DRM". It won't stop you from doing anything with the file, but should you share it with others or upload it to a pirate site, it'll be known who did this.

It's certainly better than hard DRM, as you can back up, copy and convert for your personal use as much as you want.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Social DRM, otherwise known as watermarking.

https://www.writershield.com/social-drm/
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #4
pavelh
Connoisseur

@Sirtel
@John F
Thank you both very much for your kind answers!
Best regards,
PH
Old 02-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
"the user id is integrated into the book, the user can copy the e-book from device to device"
That description could also apply to Adobe's Adept DRM. That allows a downloaded book to be associated with a user's Adobe ID. Such a book can be read on any device/app authorized with that ID, but nowhere else unless the DRM is removed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:10 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That description could also apply to Adobe's Adept DRM. That allows a downloaded book to be associated with a user's Adobe ID. Such a book can be read on any device/app authorized with that ID, but nowhere else unless the DRM is removed.
Isn't there a fundamental difference? With Adept, there needs to be a server to authorize the initial ebook download.

Also, are you sure you can just copy the ebook (once it has been authorized) from device to device, I thought you still needed ADE (or some equivalent) to do the transfer from ADE to a particular device?
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 AM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 3, Tolino 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Also, are you sure you can just copy the ebook (once it has been authorized) from device to device, I thought you still needed ADE (or some equivalent) to do the transfer from ADE to a particular device?
An Adobe DRM Ebook can be read on any device / app authorized with the same ID.
ADE isnt necessary for copying
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
To me, I would say that this sounds like watermarking/social DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 5, Likebook 3, Tolino 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To me, I would say that this sounds like watermarking/social DRM.
I can read Adobe DRM books on all of my authorized devices / apps.
It won't work on unauthorized devices / apps, while watermarked books can be read without any problems.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
An Adobe DRM Ebook can be read on any device / app authorized with the same ID.
ADE isnt necessary for copying
My apologies for the misinformation.

I tried copying a purchased ebook that was downloaded using ADE using File Explorer to my ADE authorized H2O, and I was able to open the ebook on the reader.

I tried the same thing with a library ebook, and the library ebook wouldn't open on the Kobo.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The statement by the publisher about the type of DRM in use for their books is odd because it is the bookstore that applies and manages DRM, not the publisher. Typically the publisher only has a say in whether or not DRM is applied, not the type of DRM.

It would be nice to know which publisher we are discussing.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-24-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #12
pavelh
Connoisseur

@jhowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The statement by the publisher about the type of DRM in use for their books is odd because it is the bookstore that applies and manages DRM, not the publisher. Typically the publisher only has a say in whether or not DRM is applied, not the type of DRM.

It would be nice to know which publisher we are discussing.
It is www.wolterskluwer.cz and I believe they publish and direct-sell their books.
I have already purchased the book and it did not require any activation. It's a simple epub/mobi combo. Nice!
BTW they also publish e-books that can be read in their app only. Not exactly something I would be willing to pay for.

PH

Last edited by pavelh; 02-24-2021 at 03:19 PM. Reason: @jhowell added
Old 02-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #13
jhowell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
I have already purchased the book and it did not require any activation. It's a simple epub/mobi combo. Nice!
They are their own bookstore so that makes sense.

The publisher Baen does something very similar.