Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Very rapid battery drain PLUS time changing?

Hello all -

I've seen a few threads about rapid battery drain on the Clara HD, but I've experienced a problem of late I can't figure out.

Some days, the charge will go from about 95% to 9% in a matter of hours. But on top of that, when there has been this extreme rapid drop in battery life, I'll see that the time is off by few hours.

Yes, I have a sleep cover. I can confirm that it is asleep (the light is off) and the WiFi is off as well.

The book I'm reading a small EPUB (converted to KEPUB) with no graphics or images.

Tonight I looked at the device at around 8pm - it was at 95% charge. I closed the cover, it slept, and at 2am it was down to 9% and the time had shifted by +2 hours.

Any thoughts? This is very frustrating as you can imagine.
Filmbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #2
HLS
Addict
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
Odd. I have excellent battery life on my KOBOs. I have my settings set to completely shut down (not sleep)after 5 minutes I think
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:51 PM   #3
Elektron
World's Smartest Idiot
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Have you tried a hard factory reset?
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmbrain View Post
Hello all -

I've seen a few threads about rapid battery drain on the Clara HD, but I've experienced a problem of late I can't figure out.

Some days, the charge will go from about 95% to 9% in a matter of hours. But on top of that, when there has been this extreme rapid drop in battery life, I'll see that the time is off by few hours.

Yes, I have a sleep cover. I can confirm that it is asleep (the light is off) and the WiFi is off as well.

The book I'm reading a small EPUB (converted to KEPUB) with no graphics or images.

Tonight I looked at the device at around 8pm - it was at 95% charge. I closed the cover, it slept, and at 2am it was down to 9% and the time had shifted by +2 hours.

Any thoughts? This is very frustrating as you can imagine.
Sounds like your battery is failing.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:02 AM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
even if the light goes off, it is worth experimenting without the cover. or leaving the cover open and manually putting it to sleep. there have definitely been cases where it *appears* to have gone to sleep, the light goes out, but it is not properly asleep and so the battery drains.

it might not be that, as you say the time is messed up, but it is worth the test to rule this out. multiple people have been sure the cover is not involved only days or weeks later to finally take the cover off and find the problem disappears.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
Filmbrain
Connoisseur
Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Filmbrain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Tried taking off the cover -- no change -- it still happened once.

Haven't yet tried a full factory reset -- want to avoid losing my stats if I can avoid it.

Yesterday it updated with the latest version of the Kobo software, and it hasn't happened yet, but let's see.

Given the weird thing with the clock randomly changing, I'm tempted to think it might be an overall battery fault. (I guess one can't replace the battery, correct?)
Old 02-24-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forget which Kobo device I experienced this, (I think probably the H2O 2, but could have been the Clara),, but I had 1 kobo device that would experience this if I left it exposed to sub-zero temperatures. Just putting it out there in case it might be applicable to your current situation.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #8
Filmbrain
Connoisseur

Ah! It was extremely cold here the past few weeks, and I did have it outside in my backpack -- perhaps that was a factor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I forget which Kobo device I experienced this, (I think probably the H2O 2, but could have been the Clara),, but I had 1 kobo device that would experience this if I left it exposed to sub-zero temperatures. Just putting it out there in case it might be applicable to your current situation.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
My Forma's battery certainly didn't appreciate its ski trip either . Nothing as drastic as that, though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:12 PM   #10
Elektron
World's Smartest Idiot
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Kinda off topic and obvious, but cold temperatures make my eReaders refresh slower.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:09 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Yep, that's perfectly normal. And warmer temperature will make it faster... until it makes it so very much slower again .

The sweet spot is (usually) somewhere slightly above room temp (e.g., somewhere around 21~24°C).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote