Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-12-2024, 09:07 AM   #1
beeace336
beeace336 began at the beginning.

Device: none
From HTML to XHTML (or XHTML text?!)

Recently, my e-book distributor told me that the text file in my epub is HTML and must be changed to XHTML to comply with the review requirements of some platforms.

I checked Caliber's conversion information, and it seems that the way it works is to use a plug-in to convert to XHTML and then convert it to HTML before outputting it. What should I do if I don't want the "convert to HTML" step?

In other words, I want the extension of the content text file to be XHTML instead of HTML after converting my book from docx to epub.

I'm not English native speaker, please let me know if there are any misunderstandings.
beeace336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:21 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello @beeace336

You don't need any plugins to change file extensions.
I've had a look around the Conversion settings screen, but could not find a mention of plugins, or any setting for html<>xhtml settings. Not sure where you saw the requirement for a plugin.

But the fix is simple...
  1. Open the epub in the Calibre Editor,
  2. highlight the files that need changing,
  3. then from the context menu, select "Change the file extensions for the selected files".
  4. Then type xhtml in the box when it pops up.
  5. Save the file if you are happy with the change.

See the image...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fileext.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	207532  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 05:02 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I didn't like to write because I thought it was too simple, but I thought it was simply the naming, *.html -> *.xhtml. The actual text will be xhtml assuming it passed checks because it's an epub.

Your ebook distributor may be clueless?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:04 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sadly while HTML and XHTML do have some differences (ePub2 compared to ePub3), the last publisher that demanded XHTML files was happy with the content when the text files were block renamed from .html to .xhtml in an ePub2 ebook.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 06:24 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the distributor continues to complain after you change the file extensions (↑ ↑ ↑), open a copy of the EPUB with Sigil, click 'Yes' to the following popup and Save the EPUB and send that your e-book distributor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-13 081700.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	207536

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2024, 11:00 PM   #6
beeace336
beeace336 began at the beginning.

Smile

Thank you so much!
I've already followed your method and succeed!
I upload my e-book again and waiting for reply from my distributor's now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Hello @beeace336

You don't need any plugins to change file extensions.
I've had a look around the Conversion settings screen, but could not find a mention of plugins, or any setting for html<>xhtml settings. Not sure where you saw the requirement for a plugin.

But the fix is simple...
  1. Open the epub in the Calibre Editor,
  2. highlight the files that need changing,
  3. then from the context menu, select "Change the file extensions for the selected files".
  4. Then type xhtml in the box when it pops up.
  5. Save the file if you are happy with the change.

See the image...
beeace336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 07:31 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly while HTML and XHTML do have some differences (ePub2 compared to ePub3), the last publisher that demanded XHTML files was happy with the content when the text files were block renamed from .html to .xhtml in an ePub2 ebook.
Yes
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote