Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
CONNECT software with LIBRIe?

Hello all,

I am an English speaker living in Tokyo. About a year ago I bought the LIBRIe on the mistaken impression that there would be some English-language content available for it from Timebooktown.

I have been okay reading all of the Public Domain e-books available, but sometimes I wish that I could get modern, commercial content as well. I am wondering whether anyone has tried to get the CONNECT software working with the LIBRIe, and whether the books purchased from the CONNECT store will play on the LIBRIe...

Anyone have any info?

Thanks,

- Drew
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only way to know is to install the Connect software and try it with one of the books here and see if it works.

But even if you cannot get Connect formatted books, you can purchase LIT format books (as long as you are on Windows) and use CLIT 1.8 to break the DRM and then Book Designer or html2lrf to convert to LRF format for your Librie. That will work for purchasing English books.

Jon
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reader and Librie use completely different USB protocols and DRM implementations. So no, you can't read books bought in Connect on your Librie, or even use Connect software to transfer files to/from Librie.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
JSWolf: Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that you could get inside those .LIT files...

html2lrf doesn't seem to work for me; the Librie software just says that it thinks that it is not a proper lrf file... But I am getting closer, anyway. I managed to buy and convert an LIT file to HTML so next will be figuring out why html2lrf doesn't work.

- Drew
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's because html2lrf produces a version of lrf files that the librie can't handle. This version has features introduced specifically for the sony reader. But there are many programs that can convert html to lrf that the librie can read.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then I guess Book Designer is the best best for converting to the Librie.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Try BookDesigner. It has a Librie option and supported that long before it supported the current Sony Reader. It can also use HTML files as a source.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awh_tokyo View Post
JSWolf: Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that you could get inside those .LIT files...

html2lrf doesn't seem to work for me; the Librie software just says that it thinks that it is not a proper lrf file... But I am getting closer, anyway. I managed to buy and convert an LIT file to HTML so next will be figuring out why html2lrf doesn't work.

- Drew
You can use Convert Lit 1.8 to break the DRM and then use Book Designer to load them in. Read the rest of the Sony forums for help with Book Designer. Then ask your questions and someone will try to help.