Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
8" reader for saving articles from web to read/highlight

I now use a Kobo Clara, but want a larger screen reader. I review many articles saved from my computer browser via Pocket. I love Kobo's built-in Pocket integration, but I want the ability to highlight text for export or reviewing later on a computer. I also want text-to-speech capability. It seems Pocketbook Inkpad 3 or Boyue Likebook Mars are the best options for ~8" readers under $250 and hope you might help guide my choice. Two questions:

1. I know I can install Pocket on the Mars, but does anyone know if it works as seamlessly as on Kobo? Will it allow me to highlight or/and export text easily?

2. Does Save to Pocketbook (built into Inkpad 3) work as seamlessly as Pocket? Pocket just lets you right-click any url to save it for auto-downloading to the Kobo and each article is saved separately (as if it was a book).

I welcome any feedback on highlighting/notetaking with either device (or general thoughts on Inkpad/Linux vs Mars/Android. Thank you!!!
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you thought about the Kobo Forma which has an 8" screen?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
mtreader
Connoisseur

Yes-- the lack of any text-to-speech or audio drops it behind the others for me.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
1. But when you save articles from web,into pocket or similar, there is no audio saved? So why is audio Important

2. Does it have to be e ink? Lots of 8 inch tablet options with audio exist?

3. Send to kindle works like pocket, if you get an Amazon device
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
mtreader
Connoisseur

Stumped: I just like to be able to give my eyes a break from many hours at computer monitor, so I'm only looking at E-ink readers and want to occasionally listen instead if read. Pocketbook readers have integrated text-to-speech and there are many apps for Android that read articles or books.

I'm not interested in doing business with Amazon, but I also like the features set of Inkpad and Mars better. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
See my answer in a similar thread about sending articles to Pocketbooks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...09&postcount=3

I'm not entirely sure but at the moment it is not possible to export notes from the Pocketbook devices using the built-in reader. You can do so, however, if you use Coolreader or KoReader, which I prefer over the built-in reader. You won't have TTS functionality in those external readers, though.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update on notes: I am currently beta-testing firmware version 6.0 for the Pocketbook Touch HD3 and an exporting feature has been included. Notes can be saved as an HTML file.
I don't know when this firmware will be released for the Inkpad, though.

Last edited by LucyOne; 01-21-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
mtreader
Connoisseur

Thanks, Lucyone,
When you say "notes," do you mean highlighted text, actual notes that a user types in, or both?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

Both.
Second update: My Inkpad 3 has this feature, too. It must have been added with the 5.20 FW update.

Last edited by LucyOne; 01-21-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:28 AM   #10
random42
random42 began at the beginning.

Device: PB HD3 (632), Kindle Paperwhite
Interested in the outcome of this - right now seems like my winner Pocketbook HD3 is the winner.

Have kindle paperwhite but want something more flexible. I am tech saavy, want to send articles to e-ink, maybe browse web, saw PBHD3 has RSS support too!
random42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the possible downside of stepping outside the Amazon & kobo ranges is warranty & tech support. Depends a lot on where you live and what/how you buy but if you import something from china and it goes wrong, that could be an expensive lesson

OTOH there is nothing IN the amazon/kobo ranges that ticks all your boxes.

I would not risk $250 on something with no genuine warranty( and ship it back to china at buyers expense does not count) or no tech support in my country
Old 01-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
LucyOne
Librocubicularist

The Touch HD3 is a 6 inch reader. No larger screen on your list anymore?
Old 01-27-2020, 07:55 PM   #13
mtreader
Connoisseur

Stumped's advice on the lack of warranty for Inkpad and Boyue seems like a big deal. Is there really no way to purchase those company's products with a US warranty? Does goodereader warranty products they sell? Ttheir site lacks info.

I'm still undecided (and not in a hurry since my Kobo Clara does what it's designed to perfectly).
Old 01-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
Stumped's advice on the lack of warranty for Inkpad and Boyue seems like a big deal. Is there really no way to purchase those company's products with a US warranty? Does goodereader warranty products they sell? Ttheir site lacks info.

I'm still undecided (and not in a hurry since my Kobo Clara does what it's designed to perfectly).
please see this thread for what can go wrong with imports
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324796

of course you could be lucky & have no problems whatsoever, but there's no great safety net. It would be a smaller risk if you judge yourself capable of the more extreme repair steps in the above link

Last edited by stumped; 01-28-2020 at 06:29 AM.